Glimmer of hope for accountants

UA to AU

Well done ! I was more nervous opening that email than any of my accountant exams I sat for some crazy reason.

Oh yes I can understand that! For me, it was the worry of letting down the rest of the family I think, whereas when I did the accountancy I didn't have a family and now it's about 14 years since I last sat an exam. Phew glad it's over anyway

• Replies 238
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not sure if it has been mentioned but results are up from 9th March invite, 115 accountants invited all on 70 points.

Not good news for those waiting on 65 I am afraid. Still no stats from 23rd March invites.

Thanks mgreaves, 115 is quite high, so that leaves about 800 for the rest of the year? But I guess if they keep it around that level each time then it would be straight line for the rest of the year.

Thanks mgreaves, 115 is quite high, so that leaves about 800 for the rest of the year? But I guess if they keep it around that level each time then it would be straight line for the rest of the year.

Yep 805 invites left for this year for accountants now so exactly 115 per round (including March 23rd) as you say. March 23rd stats should help, as currently 70 points were invited until 5th March so hopefully there was just a surge at the start of the year and some more 65 pointers get in.

Hi Everyone, I just wanted to say hello having just joined the forum! I am just at the start of the process of applying for a 189 Visa for code 221112 Management Accountant (although I realise I am a little late to the party!).

I am CIMA qualified (Sept 2014) and have just had my IELTS results back today and thankfully did well enough to get 20 points for Superior English (9, 9, 8.5, 8) overall score 8.5. Just about to apply for my CPA Skills Assessment and am a little anxious as I have seen lots of posts saying they only count experience since you qualified, which would only give me 1 yr 7 months, although I have been an accountant for 5 years. So really hoping they might take the dates from when I passed my CIMA Advanced Diploma which was Jan 2013 giving me 3 yrs 3 months to at least get me 5 points. Has anyone had a similar experience of this? Thanks

Hi Everyone, I just wanted to say hello having just joined the forum! I am just at the start of the process of applying for a 189 Visa for code 221112 Management Accountant (although I realise I am a little late to the party!).

I am CIMA qualified (Sept 2014) and have just had my IELTS results back today and thankfully did well enough to get 20 points for Superior English (9, 9, 8.5, 8) overall score 8.5. Just about to apply for my CPA Skills Assessment and am a little anxious as I have seen lots of posts saying they only count experience since you qualified, which would only give me 1 yr 7 months, although I have been an accountant for 5 years. So really hoping they might take the dates from when I passed my CIMA Advanced Diploma which was Jan 2013 giving me 3 yrs 3 months to at least get me 5 points. Has anyone had a similar experience of this? Thanks

They will take the dates from you getting your full CIMA qualification.

What is your degree in? If it is Finance/accounting related get your degree assessed and not CIMA, this is what I did to get around this as I left my log book for quite a while after finishing the exams.

They will take the dates from you getting your full CIMA qualification.

What is your degree in? If it is Finance/accounting related get your degree assessed and not CIMA, this is what I did to get around this as I left my log book for quite a while after finishing the exams.

Ah I don't have a degree, just an HND in Business and Finance. Poop! I think this might only leave me on 60 points then so no chance of getting an invite :( thanks for the advice

Ah I don't have a degree, just an HND in Business and Finance. Poop! I think this might only leave me on 60 points then so no chance of getting an invite :( thanks for the advice

it may be possible to get them to assess your advanced diploma, but they are looking for the equivalent of a degree so I don't think it will be easy to do, I would advise maybe checking with a registered migration agent.

Points wise the backlog of 65 pointers is the end of September, so even with the extra 5 points you are still very low down in the queue and will be waiting a while...assuming Accountants remain on the SOL.

I would look in to a 190 visa if you are not already, your English may bump you up the list here.

Thank you. I will look into getting the Advanced Diploma assessed as that is meant to the equivalent to a UK degree (QCF level 6), and the full CIMA equivalent to a UK Masters (QCF level 7) but I guess it just depends if this equates to the Australian system and rules.

I know there is a huge backlog of accountants, and I don't mind waiting a year or more, my only worry is if they remove accountants from the SOL in July. I have looked at 190 but we really want to go to Perth and it looks like only NSW if offering SS without a job offer condition and I just don't fancy Sydney. But I think I will apply for it anyway just to see how I go. Thanks again for your reply!

Thank you. I will look into getting the Advanced Diploma assessed as that is meant to the equivalent to a UK degree (QCF level 6), and the full CIMA equivalent to a UK Masters (QCF level 7) but I guess it just depends if this equates to the Australian system and rules.

They assess full CIMA as a degree and not a masters, a masters attracts more points and you do not get these through having CIMA assessed.

I know there is a huge backlog of accountants, and I don't mind waiting a year or more, my only worry is if they remove accountants from the SOL in July. I have looked at 190 but we really want to go to Perth and it looks like only NSW if offering SS without a job offer condition and I just don't fancy Sydney. But I think I will apply for it anyway just to see how I go. Thanks again for your reply!

Just wanted to say welcome to the party, I am also a late arriver! You don't have to stay in Sydney even if you get the 190 visa, or you could go there temporarily and apply for jobs in Perth from Sydney. Your other option would be to wait until you have a bit more experience, but like you say there is a chance of them taking accountant off SOL (this has also been my worry)

Guest IamAlex

Our problems originate in the fact that they lowered the occupation ceilings for accountants by 54% (!!!) and by 16% (!!!) for auditors in 2015/2016 in comparison to 2014/2015. It is unlikely that any accounting occupations will be removed... However, this is a very hard time for accountants and cpa/acca/ipa and Australian educational institutions which profit on overseas students will suffer from a lower of applicants and students if the situation will continue ...

I am still having dilemmas over which accounting class to ask for my assessment in. I am hoping to get my skills assessment application off in the next day or 2. Are there spaces left on the management accountant subclass? I was going to go for the general accounting one originally, but the management accounting one seems to fit my experience better. I am ICAEW qualified though. Is it just CIMA qualified people who go for this one?

So confused!

Our problems originate in the fact that they lowered the occupation ceilings for accountants by 54% (!!!) and by 16% (!!!) for auditors in 2015/2016 in comparison to 2014/2015. It is unlikely that any accounting occupations will be removed... However, this is a very hard time for accountants and cpa/acca/ipa and Australian educational institutions which profit on overseas students will suffer from a lower of applicants and students if the situation will continue ...

The fact is that Australia is very well supplied with qualified accountants coming in from Hong Kong and Singapore. At the same time, many large companies in Australia have their headquarters in those cities - and that's where their senior accounting positions are based. If you migrate to Australia you are moving into a country where there is intense competition for accountancy positions.

Mgmt and General both fall under same class. There are spaces left for both under 189 so if you can get 70 points you would get invited under either. I would hope the assessing body would advise if you were better suited to the other category.

Sent from my GT-I9305 using Tapatalk

The fact is that Australia is very well supplied with qualified accountants coming in from Hong Kong and Singapore. At the same time, many large companies in Australia have their headquarters in those cities - and that's where their senior accounting positions are based. If you migrate to Australia you are moving into a country where there is intense competition for accountancy positions.

............. not forgetting the number of newly qualified Chartered Accountants and CPA's who graduate each year here. As you say Marisa - very competitive and that's including the exam candidates living in Malaysia and Singapore who sit the ICAA exams in those countries.

I am still having dilemmas over which accounting class to ask for my assessment in. I am hoping to get my skills assessment application off in the next day or 2. Are there spaces left on the management accountant subclass? I was going to go for the general accounting one originally, but the management accounting one seems to fit my experience better. I am ICAEW qualified though. Is it just CIMA qualified people who go for this one?

So confused!

Hi sns, I've just submitted my Skills Assessment to the CPA today. I chose them because of their MRA with CIMA so providing I am successful i'll also be able to apply for CPA membership. I know some migration agents advise people to go with ICAA for your skills assessment but im not sure why this is. I just looked at processing times and CPA seemed quicker and simpler to me. I applied under 221112 Management accountant, I don't think they split out the Accountant quota into the individual categories (but not sure). So now I have a 10 to 15 working days wait to see how many years experience I will end up with (if their website is accurate!).

Anyway good luck with whichever you choose! I see you are North East UK, where are you? I'm in Newcastle :)

Hi sns, I've just submitted my Skills Assessment to the CPA today. I chose them because of their MRA with CIMA so providing I am successful i'll also be able to apply for CPA membership. I know some migration agents advise people to go with ICAA for your skills assessment but im not sure why this is. I just looked at processing times and CPA seemed quicker and simpler to me. I applied under 221112 Management accountant, I don't think they split out the Accountant quota into the individual categories (but not sure). So now I have a 10 to 15 working days wait to see how many years experience I will end up with (if their website is accurate!).

Anyway good luck with whichever you choose! I see you are North East UK, where are you? I'm in Newcastle :)

I have just submitted mine with CPA, and have received the email with the request for information. Just trying to put that together now. I am asking for the experience assessment as well, so there's quite a bit to do. Did you get a response from yours yet?

All documents for my skills assessment now submitted.

Does anyone know how to add a signature at the bottom of posts with my PTE and application dates?? Thanks

Good luck

Not sure if it can done on mobile devices but online if you go to settings at top of page then choose edit signature from the options down the left hand side.

Good luck

Not sure if it can done on mobile devices but online if you go to settings at top of page then choose edit signature from the options down the left hand side.

Thanks! Got it.

Do you know how many places were allocated on 23rd March?

Thanks! Got it.

Do you know how many places were allocated on 23rd March?

Those with 70 points were invited up till 15 March. I think about 115 were invited.

There was another round yesterday and again it looks like only 70 pointers and above were invited. Thise stats aren't out yet but looks like it was capped at 115 again...

Those with 70 points were invited up till 15 March. I think about 115 were invited.

There was another round yesterday and again it looks like only 70 pointers and above were invited. Thise stats aren't out yet but looks like it was capped at 115 again...

13 April results are up and another 115 places were filled. 70 pointers who applied up to 2 April got the invite.

That leaves 575 places (5 rounds at 115 places perhaps ?)

There is a slight backlog even for people with 70 points so it might mean that those applying with 70 points in the last month of the year may not get a 189 invite so they would rely on accountants being included next year (or go for a 190)

Hi everybody.

I just wish to give you a fast update. I have been invited as General Accountant by NSW on 18th March 2016 and submitted my documents for State Nomination on 20th March 2016.

Today (18th Aprill) I am still waiting for NSW's response. My details are in the signature.