Marisawright

Does Anyone Still Send Christmas Cards?

Surely at Christmas the joy is in the giving.

Don't only give because you expect something in return.

What I meant was that they obviously don't get any joy from getting real Christmas cards, otherwise they would still be sending them out themselves. They all send electronic ones these days, or put a greeting on Facebook.

Scot by birth, emigrated 1985 | Aussie husband applied UK spouse visa Jan 2015, granted March 2015, moved to UK May 2015 | Returned to Oz June 2016

"The stranger who comes home does not make himself at home but makes home itself strange." -- Rainer Maria Rilke

I have always loved sending and receiving Christmas cards, but over the years the numbers of those sent and received has declined appreciably. So many friends have now joined the Facebook greeting or ecard/email brigade, and although I also post a generic greeting on Facebook, I take great pleasure in sending real cards, with a handwritten letter and photos, to my special friends around the world. Thankfully I receive the same back from those special friends.

Now I am retired, this year my crafting activities have extended to card making/ scrapbooking etc, so I am probably going to have a bash at making my own cards.

My only issue is with the cost of postage, both within Australia and overseas. The raised costs are certainly not commensurate with the efficiency of delivery. Last Christmas I posted all my overseas cards in the first few days of December, and Christmas skype sessions revealed that a lot of those cards had not been received before the magic day. I was still receiving cards from UK and Canada in January..... cards that had been in transit for 3 or 4 weeks..... Not sure if it is an Australia Post issue, or just postal services worldwide.

......Just trying to be helpful so don't shoot me down if my personal views do not coincide with yours! :animal-dog:

I used to send and receive around 40 Christmas cards. Now it's dwindled to a couple of dozen.

Agree about the postal service Rossmoyne. For postal paid and service received, it's just not good enough. :mad:

Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take but by the moments that take our breath away :smile:

Post cost rise as volume declines. Yes still get cards and send them, but nothing like in number or to the array of countries sent and received up to about fourteen years ago. Don't much care for Facebook though get some through that source, don't bother myself.

I used to send about 60 or so but am now down to about 35. They put the cost of stamps up a lot this last year,especially overseas ones and it is too much now. I usually get more than I receive ( always feel a tad guilty but send emails to those I miss.) I think email cards are absolutely dreadful but then I am of the age where you would anyway!