Marisawright

Does Anyone Still Send Christmas Cards?

I've always sent Christmas cards up till this year, but this year I'm not going to - because I don't expect to get any.

Last year, even though I sent out all my cards in good time, I got just ONE Christmas card in the post. Everyone else just sent an email (not a personal one, just the same one sent to all their friends), or an online Christmas card (ditto). This year, several of my friends aren't even doing that - they're just posting a "Merry Xmas to all my friends" message on their Facebook page - how lazy is that??

I think it's sad. Looking around at my cards and appreciating the friends who sent them, was one of the pleasures of Christmas for me.

Scot by birth, emigrated 1985 | Aussie husband applied UK spouse visa Jan 2015, granted March 2015, moved to UK May 2015 | Returned to Oz June 2016

"The stranger who comes home does not make himself at home but makes home itself strange." -- Rainer Maria Rilke

We (The OH actually) sends a bunch that she makes.

And we get a bunch back.

The Notice Board above the tree is full so far and the she has run a ribbon between picture frames at each end of the hall for any that turn up in the next ten days.

image.jpg

image.jpg

Not sent them for years. We don't send them en masse as I don't wish to add to the mountain of waste nor the air miles of flying round the world or the other side of the country. I can't bring myself to do that. Also if I see someone in person I would rather wish them a Merry Christmas or Happy Holidays than hand over a card saying the same thing.

For a number of years now we have donated the money we'd spend on cards and postage and donated to two charities of choice. One local and one national each year. Usually $30-50 donation or if its a local charity then whatever appeal they are running, be it pet food for the local shelter or donation for the Salvation Army or some such. My son comes with me and helps choose the charities and what we donate.

I post a FB post each Christmas, usually something about the season, wishing people well and try to send things like long emails or letters at other times of the year for no reason other than I am making, taking the time to think of someone and get in touch and catch up. I prefer that over a set time of year to express those things. Why confine yourself or wait till Christmas. There is the rest of the year to be put to good use, I think doing so at Christmas is a bit of a cop out as people expect it or its the done thing and they feel obliged. Means more to me to get an email out of the blue from a friend at any other time over the obligatory one at Christmas. Thankfully my good friends do that and so do I in return.

I tend to get a family pic, or several in a montage, and upload them onto Moonpig cards for the family in the UK, and pop some round to the neighbours, but stopped sending to friends who are on FB. I do have a couple of die hards who are not, and they get the same as the family ones.

I wanted to try and get one of my son and daughter together for this years but as daughter has now left home, it's hard to grab them both at the same time, so might have to steal one of her snap chats and sneak up on the boy when he's not expecting it and do a but of photoshopping!

I still send and receive cards. Not as many as I used to though. This year I sent a couple of dozen - I used to send approx 40 every year.

Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take but by the moments that take our breath away :smile:

I've sent one card this year lol. To my mum:wubclub: hope she gets it!!

I know she enjoys getting cards, so I spent a fortune on one to post.

To be honest though, I've become very disillusioned with the postal service here and in the UK, that I've given up spending money on things for them not to arrive.

I was never a fan of the masse Xmas card thing. I remember when the girls were at school, they used to get hundreds, plus what OH and I got from work. Never knew where to put them all:laugh:

I like to send and receive and do a bit of that plus the FB post plus charity donation.

Sent 5 cards overseas to close family only, then a couple here to close friends only.

I gave up on Xmas cards 3 years ago and make a donation to charity instead. Maybe I'm lazy but it probably does more good in the world!

Partner Visa 309/100 Applied for - 23/6/15CO assigned (WP) 1/9/15Medical Completed 29/12/15Police Check uploaded 12/01/16GRANTED 21/01/16!!!!

The last couple of years we have not been great at sending cards. My oldest daughter was diagnosed with diabetes early December 2 y ago and I never did any that year, then last year did some v late but this year def donating to charity (JDRF). The cost of posting overshadows the pleasure in sending / receiving. I would rather send a few cards to people I don't see v often but let them know I still think of them.. I love letters writing and receiving not had / dopne any for awhile but flying Jan 4th so heres hoping I get some mail.... But the problem is now you speak on phone / skype etc and tell all the news that would be in a leter received a week or 2 later depending if Uk- AU / AU-UK..

Yes I feel a bit bad at not doing them. Lots of work but I used to take pleasure andwriting notes in them... 3 kids later .... I'm a mess....

309/100 applied 24/12/14, CO allocated Jan 15, further info supplied Jan.. , police check August 2015, medical 21/09/15......309/100 granted November 2013, landed in Brisbane 7/1/16

Yes but at vastly reduced numbers compared to a decade plus back. Rather miss them as it was the only time of year to catch up with certain people with a newsy letter stuck in or written on the card.

E cards are a very poor substitute. IMO.But costs of sending through Australia Post have rocketed in recent years so rather glad the total has declined so rapidly. I can see though it won't be too many more years before the sending of cards through the post will be assigned to history.

Guest Guest66881

Five is all we post out every year, and that number will sadly fall next year probably:wink:

I've already received about a dozen and sent none yet - but I will knock out a few. I also have to send some for my parents who aren't up to writing their own any more. That's my task for the morning now my Christmas knitting is done!

I always send cards to the rellies in UK every year as I know how much it means to them, but despite all the Christmas cards on sale here in OZ surprisingly no one seems to really bother!! Last year my little girl spent the whole night personally writing out cards for all her school friends and putting a candy cane in each one, she got zero back, this year a few of the girls at school did send them back and we didn't bother, felt terrible!!

I'm down to one. The years have taken their toll. I've only got one relative left in the UK that I'm still close to.

Still send- got them down to 30 from about 60 though. Only sent 12 to the UK but do feel a bit guilty when they arrive and I haven't sent them one.

I've always sent Christmas cards up till this year, but this year I'm not going to - because I don't expect to get any.

Last year, even though I sent out all my cards in good time, I got just ONE Christmas card in the post. Everyone else just sent an email (not a personal one, just the same one sent to all their friends), or an online Christmas card (ditto). This year, several of my friends aren't even doing that - they're just posting a "Merry Xmas to all my friends" message on their Facebook page - how lazy is that??

I think it's sad. Looking around at my cards and appreciating the friends who sent them, was one of the pleasures of Christmas for me.

I met a girl in 95 at a party and I couldn't believe the number of cards she had. The house was full. You can't know that many people.

When I met my wife she used to send and receive 250 cards. She always moaned about not having anywhere to put them.

Over the years I've managed to cut it to 50 relations and people we know.

Every year we play the Christmas card game, where we cut them into pieces, hide the bits around the house, and the kids get prizes for finding completed cards.

Keeps them busy for an hour so we can unwind with a brandy.

Nearly there! Don't drop the ball now guys! Vaccines are weeks away. Stay safe!

I met a girl in 95 at a party and I couldn't believe the number of cards she had. The house was full. You can't know that many people.

When I met my wife she used to send and receive 250 cards. She always moaned about not having anywhere to put them.

Over the years I've managed to cut it to 50 relations and people we know.

Every year we play the Christmas card game, where we cut them into pieces, hide the bits around the house, and the kids get prizes for finding completed cards.

Keeps them busy for an hour so we can unwind with a brandy.

What a good idea, on both counts.:notworthy:

Enjoying life in Queensland

I love getting Christmas cards, so I'll continue to send them! I sent a couple of cards via Cardly.net for Christmas last year. Great service that allowed me to set up the card on my computer and they printed and sent it locally to the recipient (meaning that my friends in the UK had their cards printed in the UK where as my work colleagues in Melbourne were printed in Australia so I didn't feel so bad on the carbon miles aspect of the cards!!). Didn't receive too many cards though.... I'll be interested to see how many I receive this year. Sorry about the delayed addition to this thread - just joined the forums!

I love getting Christmas cards, so I'll continue to send them! I sent a couple of cards via Cardly.net for Christmas last year. Great service that allowed me to set up the card on my computer and they printed and sent it locally to the recipient (meaning that my friends in the UK had their cards printed in the UK where as my work colleagues in Melbourne were printed in Australia so I didn't feel so bad on the carbon miles aspect of the cards!!). Didn't receive too many cards though.... I'll be interested to see how many I receive this year. Sorry about the delayed addition to this thread - just joined the forums!

Welcome! I like getting Christmas cards too, that's why I kept sending them, but sadly no one reciprocated last year so I've given up :(

Scot by birth, emigrated 1985 | Aussie husband applied UK spouse visa Jan 2015, granted March 2015, moved to UK May 2015 | Returned to Oz June 2016

"The stranger who comes home does not make himself at home but makes home itself strange." -- Rainer Maria Rilke

Welcome! I like getting Christmas cards too, that's why I kept sending them, but sadly no one reciprocated last year so I've given up :(

Surely at Christmas the joy is in the giving.

Don't only give because you expect something in return.

I want it all, and I want it now.