How has Australia changed your health?

spangley

• 1 year later...
On 13/12/2015 at 17:52, spangley said:

I'm curious to know from expats in Aus if they've noticed a change in their health since moving.

• Has the climate cut on seasonal illnesses?
  • Has the outdoor lifestyle helped to improve your general fitness?
  • Does the different food and diet have an impact?
  • Does the extra sunshine lift your mood and sense of wellbeing?

This is entirely unscientific, just curious to people's personal observations

No guessing that Northern Europe is now in deepest, coldest, miserable winter at the moment ;)

Yes, i have been in OZ 25 years so bound to be some changes. Mostly though its massive weight gain. I was so much more active in the UK and when i visit on holidays i love to walk everywhere, in Melbourne i am lucky to do 1000 steps per day. I spend very little time outside these days and that affects my health greatly.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Jehwal said:

Yes, i have been in OZ 25 years so bound to be some changes. Mostly though its massive weight gain. I was so much more active in the UK and when i visit on holidays i love to walk everywhere, in Melbourne i am lucky to do 1000 steps per day. I spend very little time outside these days and that affects my health greatly.

I packed on the weight after moving to Australia in 2008 but have recently lost 15kg on the Michael Moseley (yes - British) blood sugar diet so that I can hopefully donate a kidney to my Aussie husband who is on dialysis. It is hard In Australia to keep the weight down when you are comfort eating to cope with the constant racist micro aggression from the locals,