How has Australia changed your health?

spangley

I have lost over 80 kg out of 3 of the 5 years living here. I still have another 40kg to go. So yes a positive here. Plus dont suffer with my aches and pains as much.

Sent from my SM-T355Y using Tapatalk

Far out that's incredible! Makes my weight loss efforts look laughable. :wink: Well done!

I have lost over 80 kg out of 3 of the 5 years living here. I still have another 40kg to go. So yes a positive here. Plus dont suffer with my aches and pains as much.

Sent from my SM-T355Y using Tapatalk

Well done! I lost 80kg moving from Aus to UK! Maybe it's the change that does it for us! It's a hard journey though so keep on. I'd like to see another 20kg go but think it might be beyond me!

And even the weather thing is subjective - I walk all the time in UK whereas I wouldn't even walk to the local shops in Aus. I just find walking in UK to be so much more pleasurable! But each o their own!

I'm out walking here in rain, hail or sun .............. far more so than I ever did on the mainland. Used to go walking a lot in the UK - mainly in Scotland and Cumbria.

Try and get hold of some local honey - it's supposed to be really good at preventing hay fever as it's made from the pollens you are reacting to. :wubclub:

It's not true. Test showed the same as a placebo. They think it's down to the wrong type of pollen.

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/05/10/health/10really.html?_r=0

My health has improved.

My BMI is still the same (~23) but my body fat has dropped.

I now walk a lot more (as I've changed my commute and live next the beach), I gym several times a week and am more active on weekends.

I've also changed my diet, and cut out a lot of bad eating habits.

Also my hay fever is drastically reduced, which is great as the anti-histamines I took for 4 months gave me mood swings (always felt tired and groggy).

Haven't had a day off sick in 5 years either (But that could be down to being a contractor. I also wasn't sick often before).

Generally I feel a lot better, and am a lot happier.

Edited by Bibbs

Newsflash. A country doesn't make you fat or skinny.

You do that based on how much junk food you shovel into your gob.

I kinda agree. But I've found moving has given me a better 'work/life' balance.

Good public transport links means I walk more (leaving the car at home and getting the Train/Bus), and I exercise in the spare 'life' part.

More money means I can do outdoor activities that I couldn't before.

Also combined with cheaper and better food, means I'm less likely to eat a KFC or a microwave meal.

Edited by Bibbs

Newsflash. A country doesn't make you fat or skinny.

You do that based on how much junk food you shovel into your gob.

Except if you have to take certain medications or have a hormone/thyroid problem then yes ............... being overweight is caused by eating too much fatty/sugary foods and lack of exercise - no matter where you live.

I kinda agree. But I've found moving has given me a better 'work/life' balance.

Good public transport links means i walk more, and I exercise in the spare 'life' part.

More money means I can do outdoor activities that I couldn't before.

Also combined with cheaper and better food, means I'm less likely to eat a KFC or a microwave meal.

This!

I currently live about 1.5km from the train station. Walk that and back every week day and about 1km from flinders street to the office. In the Uk i was much more in the car. Out with the kids on our bikes and swimming in the sea at weekends. Used to run in the UK, but have joined a running group here and am out more often at a greater pace.

Eat a lot less crap, and more lean green food. The result, lost 10kg in just under 3 months since arriving.

'Feel' better (however subjective that is), sleep seems to be longer and better quality. Although the possums jumping off the fence onto the bins still wake me up.

I have to say I walk like a maniac when I'm in Melbourne and Tassie - but Queensland in summer is like wading through treacle and alas I have turned into one of those Queenslanders who pops round the corner in the car 'cos of the heat.

On the 5: 2 (Michael Mosely) fast diet on and off - Lost 7kg so far and hubby 11kg - 500 calorie days easier to bear than you might think... but with Xmas coming and all the ALDI treats groaning in the cupboard I'm gonna fall off the wagon over the next few weeks....

We came in 2008. I put on 10kg in the first year or so and struggled to get it down. Prior to coming here I did a lot of running.

3 years ago I taught myself to swim and that did a lot to help my fitness. Last year I swam in an open water race (and finished, never again!). In October I ran the 10k at the Melbourne marathon in 48 minutes, in 2007 I did it in 54!

So I suppose I'm fitter now than I've ever been, but I put that down to having kids and wanting to be around for them, rather than anything to do with Aus. Aus does have fantastic swimming pools though, which obviously helps.

Good work Chortlepuss and hubby. I've been doing 5:2 also and lost 7kg.

I have reached the point after about 20 weeks where I just want to maintain my weight so sometimes switch to 6:1.

But I think this is an excellent tool to keep your weight in check.

As you say once you know you can do it it is not really that hard.

Nothing at all. I believe it comes down to the individual's 'genetic code'. I underwent surgery here in Australia after cervical cancer was discovered.

It would have been the same back in my home country as I can't escape from my genetics.

Also with another health issue I have which is well managed, would be the same.

Though must admit that being more outdoors and push bike riding a lot, so yes, general quality of life has improved and for sure in the long run health benefits.

The food is more expensive but for us two, my partner and me, we believe fresher and tastier as more sunlight exposure (fruit & veggies), meat not as pumped full of water as we used to have in our native country.

Edited by silencio

It seems to have helped my breathing and I lost a bit of weight in Perth because I was walking around more. Now that I've went remote ive found I stay in all the time, sleep loads and I've put weight back on because I suppose I've been "comfort eating".

I think I convinced myself I'd be more energetic over here but im still the same lazy sloth

Edited by Quokka2005

None of our parents had it though did they ?

It was never even thought of until the 80s.

It ws probably diagnoised as something else. Like in times gone by many other conditions were dismissed as something else. Eg: post natal depression in mothers was just brushed a side and mother was refered to as being delicate or worse still mad/crazy and locked up in a mental hospital.