How has Australia changed your health?

spangley

I'm curious to know from expats in Aus if they've noticed a change in their health since moving.

• Has the climate cut on seasonal illnesses?
  • Has the outdoor lifestyle helped to improve your general fitness?
  • Does the different food and diet have an impact?
  • Does the extra sunshine lift your mood and sense of wellbeing?

This is entirely unscientific, just curious to people's personal observations

No guessing that Northern Europe is now in deepest, coldest, miserable winter at the moment ;)

My wife's depression has got a lot better - I suspect she may have had SAD. But, it might have just cleared up and her lifestyle is very different - was working 70 hour weeks to keep us fed.

I was more outdoor based in the UK than I am here - I lived in Sweden for a period at the beginning of this year (Kiruna) and found they were more outdoors than in Australia.

I don't think the food has had any impact on health. I have always been a keen cook and that hasn't changed.

I still get colds and sniffles and still have to get a flu jab every year. But I get hay fever here, which I had never had before

Sunshine doesn't lift my mood. In fact when I see the forecast of 40c I get pretty miserable.

Is that SAD really a real thing ?

It sounds like a new invention to me. I'd never heard of it before a few years ago and now every man and his dog claims to have it.

SAD has been around in the UK for years. I used to say I had it, I was never tested or anything, but I know myself how much my mood changes with the weather. Its not cold I can't cope with, we used to go off to other European countries skiing most winters. Loved it.

but dark skies, dank weather, rain and wind....no thanks.

It sounds like a new invention to me. I'd never heard of it before a few years ago and now every man and his dog claims to have it.

If you had ever lived with anyone that had it then you would be very sure that yes it is a thing.

Well I may not have been depressed but i was def sad:yes:.

Would it be depression, if the moment the sun came out, you were happy again??

i know what you mean though, I don't understand it either but apprently its medical breakthroughs.

my BIL and SIL insisted they label their v young daughter as having autism. Myself and my other SIL were like....no, you have a normal child, its called being a child, having quirks and tantrums.

nb....only talking about this case. Not about any child that does HAVE autism!

My activity levels decreased and weight piled on - most likely associated with depression, The weather, distances between things and air conditioned coffee shops with lots of goodies. I was more intolerant of mozzie bites which itched and inflamed much more (and I got bitten a lot more). Colds and "flu" about the same. Food about the same good meat and veg in both places. The "outdoor lifestyle" was a huge non event for me what with the heat, mozzies, flies etc I was inside with curtains closed most of the time - SAD in reverse if you will!

• Thanks 1

- Lost weight, not a substantial amount but enough to make me feel like I've achieved something.

- Eat less processed food, ,my diet is better.

- My mental health has improved, I have higher self-esteem and I feel more confident and outgoing, although some private psychology sessions x5 have helped me get over some "lifelong hang ups"

- I work out more and do more sport outdoors

Touch wood, I've never had any health problems in the UK and none here so far.

But I am getter older, so they will come, no doubt. Nothing to do with Australia, just ageing.

but what Australia has given me, as an outdoor person, much more freedom to enjoy the things I like doing.

i enjoy the feeling of being on holiday, having the most amazing lifestyle on my doorstep .

My OH and my children, now they are older, give me a more or less stress free life.

but then I do try to be led by my dreams not by pressure:smile:

It's been around for decades. It was something discussed in Scandinavia three decades nearly back. It certainly is a condition for some deprived of sunlight and impacts on well being.

Australia has among the highest asthma incidence in the world. A very high rate of over sized people (read overweight) and even ever increasing numbers of people suffering sun depravation ailments.

It is no remedy for good health. People tend to drive everywhere. One must actively work on good health.

Saying that I feel a warmer country is definitely better at a personal level. People say better with the age and good for ageing bones.as well.

But tended to do far more walking in Europe. More cycling here. More swimming here. But all in all probably healthier in Europe, once left London and an over emphasis on pub culture. I too have found to have put on a little extra weight here.

Put on a bit of weight in Oz due to relative lack of activity here. Was out and about in all weather in UK and much more active as I find the summer here restricts outdoor time. Have osteoarthritis but suspect that's growing old and would be just as bad in UK. Eat very well here as I did in the UK. Lovely fresh food from markets especially fruit. Drink less here due to lack of local pubs... Have suffered some depression here due to shaky Job issues and isolation from close friends...

I've experienced Depression and significant weight gain since arriving here 7 years ago - now pushing the 100 kilo mark and have high blood pressure. It's mainly alcohol-related, although I have cut down from my worst excesses where I was drinking a bottle of wine and whiskey chasers pretty much every night. I'm hoping to give up alcohol completely in 2016 (new year resolution number 1!) and shed some of the weight ahead of a trip home next Easter.

I used to be very active back in the UK and used to regularly go running and fell-walking but sadly that all dropped off after moving out here. I struggle in hot weather, so nowadays my idea of a work-out is to do some intense pruning in a shady corner of the garden! :smile:

In reply to the original question - my circulation (Raynauds) problems are better here because of the weather, but I think generally there is a lot more sugar in foods here so despite eating fairly healthily, I have put on weight since being here.

That's interesting, because having just spent six months in the UK, I think there's a lot more sugar and fat in the diet here! Not so much in individual foods, but in the type of foods people eat - I notice people eat a lot more biscuits and cakes, and are more likely to eat sausages, pies with thick pastry, fish with batter than lean meat and salad.

I also put weight on when I moved to Australia, in spite of a healthier diet, but I know the reason - the portion sizes are much bigger in Australia. For instance, I'll buy two steaks or two pieces of fish in the supermarket here, labelled "2 serves" and the whole pack will 200g to 300g - buy the same thing in Australia and it's more likely to be 400g or even 500g. I remember when I first arrived feeling they were too big but got used to it far too quickly!

Edited by Marisawright