Out of Oz more than 12 months can I still get citizenship ?

Tinaandco

From Border.gov.au

You must:

• have been living in Australia on a valid Australian visa for four years immediately before applying which must include the last 12 months as a permanent resident, and
  • not have been absent from Australia for more than one year in total, in the 4 year period, including no more than 90 days in the year before applying.

Note that the criteria is very specific. "You must", and not "You should".

Ok so I was out for 3 weeks at the end of 2013 beginning of 2014 and 10 weeks from July to sept 2013 then Iv been out for 9 months this year from Jan till sept and I'm back now but need to go back for 4 weeks over the Xmas period and then we should have been eligible to apply for citizenship next June cos we first arrived here in June 2012 but going back this time will take me about 2 to 3 weeks over the 12 months so do they just add that on or do I have to start the 4 year period again ?

thanks in advance xx

Ok so I was out for 3 weeks at the end of 2013 beginning of 2014 and 10 weeks from July to sept 2013 then Iv been out for 9 months this year from Jan till sept and I'm back now but need to go back for 4 weeks over the Xmas period and then we should have been eligible to apply for citizenship next June cos we first arrived here in June 2012 but going back this time will take me about 2 to 3 weeks over the 12 months so do they just add that on or do I have to start the 4 year period again ?

thanks in advance xx

Use the citizenship calculator, it will tell you if you r eligible or not.....

thanks in advance xx

To be fair it doesn't sound like you have demonstrated the necessary commitment to living in Australia to receive the benefit of being granted citizenship.

There may be an appeal process if you can demonstrate compelling reasons.

thanks in advance xx

Here is a link to the residency calculator on the DIBP website: http://www.border.gov.au/Trav/Ente/Retu/residence-calculator

Enter your information, your travel dates, etc and it will give you the answer to your questions.

thanks in advance xx

Assuming the dates you have given are correct i.e. the 10 weeks really were in 2013), and assuming no more absences after your forthcoming 4 week trip, then by August 2017 you would have spent no more than 12 months away in the past 4 years and no more than 3 months away in the past year. That is when you can apply for citizenship.

I have got very good reasons that I went back and they are because my kids are there, our youngest is 18 didn't settle here and doing an apprenticeship there but I just hope she will come here in few yrs time so that's why I still want to get citizenship cos my husband andd oldest son are here and will be applying in June next year.

I rang Oz immigration and he said he can't tell me how long it will add on if I go over by a couple of weeks he said the calculator won't help until Iv done it !?! How silly is that !!!

So if I only go back to uk for 10 days I should be ok then ?!

I wouldn't change your travel plans just to fit in with the citizenship requirements. Citizenship is something that is personally meaningful but is unlikely to change your life by being eligible a year soooner.

But if a shorter trip at Christmas brings you under the 12 months away then once you have spent fewer than three months away in the last year (probably in July 2016) you would be eligible to apply.