Adult circumcision: Medicare

Indianinoz

One more thing to add, from personal experience (obviously not the same op as I'm female) if you go through the public hospital system, you have to be admitted whenever they tell you, and may often go along expecting to be admitted but be sent away! I spent several weeks attending outpatients appointments with my suitcase, expecting to be kept in, but each time the hospital was too busy so I was sent away. Not too much of a problem if you are not working, but does make it hard to plan things!

Thanks for the detailed explanation! What exactly do yo mean by low income? We're coming on a PR and don't have a job offer yet. Will we be low income or is there some criteria for that?

Doesn't the 104 week waiting period apply here? Surely you ca't get a Low Income card as a new migrant?

Doesn't the 104 week waiting period apply here? Surely you ca't get a Low Income card as a new migrant?

I'm no expert regarding eligibility for welfare but this seems to make it fairly clear the OP would not be eligible for a Low Income Health Care Card until he has been in Aust for 104 weeks. It is highly unlikely a new arrival would be granted an exemption.

My own opinion is that if you can afford to migrate you shouldn't be looking for welfare as soon as you arrive.

[h=3]Residence requirements for the Low Income Health Care Card[/h]To be eligible for a Low Income Health Care Card you must satisfy residence requirements.

You must be living in Australia and:

You must also:

• be physically present in Australia on the day you lodge your claim, and

• continue to meet the residence requirements for as long as you hold this card

Newly arrived residents generally have a 104 week waiting period, with some exemptions.

http://www.humanservices.gov.au/customer/services/centrelink/low-income-health-care-card

I'm surprised that circumcision is the first priority of a new migrant...

Unless it's an emergency of course...

I wanted to get it done here but time somehow didn't permit. Visa formalities and migration things just left us occupied. We though before starting off with the work life I'd get through this. Especially since we're landing in first week of December after which there would be the holiday period.

Unless you pay privately then you may very well end up on a waiting list for the procedure which could be several months. Your GP will need to refer you to a public hospital and then you will wait to see the Dr - then wait for a date for the procedure. I'm not sure what the wait times are for none urgent procedures, but there's a possibility that you won't be able to go through the process in a short time period.

Sorry to disappoint you but Australia is not somewhere where you get something for nothing. The 'fair dinkum' (fair is fair or fair enough) attitude is generally very engrained here, which is a good thing I think.

Btw, you accrue leave with an employer in Australia so you will have to earn first before you can take medical leave.

Perhaps a more prudent approach would be to arrive and contribute to society by way of taxes etc before trying to get medical treatment for free. If your problem is urgent and absolutely necessary, may I suggest you dig deep into your own pockets and pay for it yourself - just like the rest of us would have to. An example would be someone on here (sorry, cannot remember the poster's name) that had a hip replacement or something of that nature and paid for it privately - was $25,000 or thereabouts?

Perhaps a more prudent approach would be to arrive and contribute to society by way of taxes etc before trying to get medical treatment for free.

If you are moving to a country that has a public health system that offers all residents free treatment why wouldn't you ask about how it works ? If you need something done it makes sense to do it before you start work then taking time off work when you finally land that all important first job. As has already been pointed out the waiting period will possibly make getting it done publicly as soon as they arrive unlikely but it was worth the question.

If your problem is urgent and absolutely necessary, may I suggest you dig deep into your own pockets and pay for it yourself - just like the rest of us would have to.

Well of course if it is urgent and and absolutely necessary the public system will do it for free.

An example would be someone on here (sorry, cannot remember the poster's name) that had a hip replacement or something of that nature and paid for it privately - was $25,000 or thereabouts?

That is a very extreme example of a gap for a procedure of the scale they are talking about in my experience.