request to exceed 6 months work on WHV

hollyoz29

Hi, just wondering if anyone has requested to extend their 6 months work with one employer? I am currently on WHV until end of September, when my BVA will kick in as I have applied for partner sponsored visa. I am a teacher and I would like to take a year's contract beginning 27th Jan, 6 months would take me up to 27th July. Minus 4 weeks holiday, I would need to be allowed to work for an extra month. I have heard about form 1455, filling it in, getting a letter of support from school and taking it to department of immigration in person. I could possibly also explain that not working would leave me in financial hardship too...? Any help or advice would be welcomed. Obviously, I want to abide by the rules and do not want jeopardise my partner sponsored visa. Thank you!

I have no clue. I've not read of anyone getting an extension but you never know.

Perhaps discuss with a reputable MARA agent. Any of those that post on here are good.

Thanks for your reply. I have heard of it being done too, but I have also heard of them being much stricter and tax office sharing information. Don't want to be caught out. If it comes to it, I'll work unpaid for a month.

If you are working in a school this is definately not permitted. The unions will get involved and you will find yourself blacklisted and the school could end up with the teachers on strike. Not a good plan. If you are being paid during the holidays then that time will count towards the six months.

Hi, just wondering if anyone has requested to extend their 6 months work with one employer? I am currently on WHV until end of September, when my BVA will kick in as I have applied for partner sponsored visa. I am a teacher and I would like to take a year's contract beginning 27th Jan, 6 months would take me up to 27th July. Minus 4 weeks holiday, I would need to be allowed to work for an extra month. I have heard about form 1455, filling it in, getting a letter of support from school and taking it to department of immigration in person. I could possibly also explain that not working would leave me in financial hardship too...? Any help or advice would be welcomed. Obviously, I want to abide by the rules and do not want jeopardise my partner sponsored visa. Thank you!

When you say you have applied for partner sponsored visa, I assume you mean a subclass 820 visa. If this is the case, yes you can apply for an extension of the 6 month work limitation. Do it in good time as they can take a while to process.

If it comes to it, I'll work unpaid for a month.

This will not resolve the situation as you will still be in breach even if you are not paid. Work is considered anything that you would normally get remunerated for.

Guest Guest226914
I know it's not permitted and would not cause problems with strikes at the school etc. I will work 6 months and hope for an extension to be granted, if it's not I will not work any longer that what my visa states. I'll need to look into holidays counting towards this.

It can be done legally. I am also a teacher who initially came on WHV and I applyed for a partner visa shortly after getting a teaching job. Obviously I wanted to stay in the job so I applied for an extension and was granted it. I got my school to write a letter saying that they wanted me to stay and it was beneficial for the kids to have continuity with the same teacher etc.

The condition for an extension is...

"Remaining in your current job while a decision is being madeon an application for a visa which would allow you to continuefull-time work with your employer without leaving Australia.'

So assuming your visa is viewed in this way I see no problem with you getting an extension.

You don't need to take it in person. I just emailed it over and was absolutely fine. I got a decision within a week.

• 3 years later...
On 20/11/2015 at 06:55, Guest226914 said:

It can be done legally. I am also a teacher who initially came on WHV and I applyed for a partner visa shortly after getting a teaching job. Obviously I wanted to stay in the job so I applied for an extension and was granted it. I got my school to write a letter saying that they wanted me to stay and it was beneficial for the kids to have continuity with the same teacher etc.

The condition for an extension is...

"Remaining in your current job while a decision is being madeon an application for a visa which would allow you to continuefull-time work with your employer without leaving Australia.'

So assuming your visa is viewed in this way I see no problem with you getting an extension.

You don't need to take it in person. I just emailed it over and was absolutely fine. I got a decision within a week.

I am in a similar position - teacher on WHV and in process of apply for school nomination but my 6months with them is coming up soon, so this thread has been helpful. 

Was there anything else your school put in the letter that you feel would be helpful for me to include to help with the extension?

Thanks

On 16/07/2019 at 06:42, A-R said:

I am in a similar position - teacher on WHV and in process of apply for school nomination but my 6months with them is coming up soon, so this thread has been helpful. 

Was there anything else your school put in the letter that you feel would be helpful for me to include to help with the extension?

Thanks

This thread is from 2015 - i'm not sure that the poster still visits the site