Aside from Bachelor Degree, do I need a PGCE also to become a preschool teacher in QLD?

Reg Ister

It's hard to work that out really because it depends on the current exchange rate. The way I did when I first got here is that I used to take home 1500 pounds (no pound sign on my keyboard!) per month after teaching in school for 3 years and here i was taking home $3400 a month. So because it is roughly double the amount I then halved everything that I bought here. For instance I could afford a loaf of bread for 1 pound 50p in UK, then I can afford a loaf here for $3. I have continued to do that here even though my salary has risen since 3 years ago. I am currently on $34 per hour. Even after over 3 years, I still work out what it is in pounds. If it works out a lot more than half, I won't buy it! I work for a G8 centre but there are so many centres around and ECT's are in demand. With a good UK background and teaching experience, you can pretty much ask for what you want (within reason). I went on 3 interviews as soon as I got here and was offered all 3. When changing jobs last year, I went on 4 and again offered all 4.G8 and Goodstart are probable similar. G8 own over 3000 centres across Australia!

Hope that helps!smile.gif

Hi RoxyRoo,

I come seeking advice again! I have a telephone interview for a Teacher post in a Goodstart setting next week and was wondering if you could give me some pointers on things you have been asked in the past. Thanks x

Hi RoxyRoo,

I come seeking advice again! I have a telephone interview for a Teacher post in a Goodstart setting next week and was wondering if you could give me some pointers on things you have been asked in the past. Thanks x

That's great news!

Here are some questions asked for an ECT:

What is your understanding of the NQF? Can you outline a brief description of thecomponents involved?

What is your teaching philosophy and how is this reflected in your program and daily practices?

Can you give me an example of where you planned a program to meet a child’sindividual needs?

A child in your care displays some challenging behaviours, describe the behaviourguidance strategies you would initiate?

Describe a situation where you have made a suggestion or implemented an idea thatimproved a process in the workplace.

Can you provide me with an example of when you had to work with someone whowas difficult to get along with? How did you handle this situation?

Can you tell me about a time when you had to resolve a parent complaint?What were their concerns and how did you resolve it?

Read up on the NQF National Quality Framework and EYLF Early Years Learning Framework before your interview. EYLF is like the EYFSP. Everything planned is based on the child's interest with the EYLF implemented.

Is this a telephone interview as you're not here yet right? Let me know if anything else you would like to know and good luck! Let me know how you get on. :)

Thanks so much Roxy Roo! I really appreciate the heads up! I feel so much better about it now that I have a idea what they might ask. Yeah, its a telephone interview as we don't get to Oz until 9th August. Its the first job Ive applied for so suited I have even got an interview! Not expecting to get it (Im not that jammy to land the first job I apply for) but looking forward to getting into the interview mindset and get the first one over with! I will let you know how it goes xx

Hi guys,

Quick update - had the telephone interview this morning. It was only for 20 minutes and there was lots of information about the company given before I was asked anything. I was asked the following;

- When do you arrive?

- How far along with the teacher registration process are you?

- Do you have any holidays booked?

-What do you think about the company?

-Describle a time you have done curriculum programming based on a child's interest?

-How do you value parents and families?

-How do you make children feel respected and cared for?

-What is your pay expectation?

That was it! I now have a practical assessment based on photographs of a blank setting and I have to write bullet points on how I would improve it, which seems pretty straight forward. If successful on that, I will be given a face to face interview when I arrive in 2 weeks.

Compared to teaching job interviews I have had here, this wasn't half as scary or intimidating! Feeling slightly more hopefully :wink:

Hi guys,

Quick update - had the telephone interview this morning. It was only for 20 minutes and there was lots of information about the company given before I was asked anything. I was asked the following;

- When do you arrive?

-Describle a time you have done curriculum programming based on a child's interest?

That was it! I now have a practical assessment based on photographs of a blank setting and I have to write bullet points on how I would improve it, which seems pretty straight forward. If successful on that, I will be given a face to face interview when I arrive in 2 weeks.

Compared to teaching job interviews I have had here, this wasn't half as scary or intimidating! Feeling slightly more hopefully :wink:

Sounds great SOJ, fingers crossed for you!! Xx

Hi guys,

- When do you arrive?

That's so great. So pleased for you. Keep us updated :cute: