Melbourne suburbs ranked by liveability

Bobths

After this survey they did another one based on people's recommendation and completely different suburbs came into play. It depends where you people work, its ideal to try to live with a reasonable commute. No good living in one of these suburbs if you work in an outer suburb and vice versa. Not everyone thinks having a coffee bar, wine bar or any other such establishment around the corner is their idea of good.

Transport is important so sticking to the transport routes is always a guide.

Some of the suburbs with high rates of crime still rate as good places to live as there is a saying that criminals do not ................... in their own nest.

Its in the interests of Domain and such like to keep making these inner suburbs desirable as if the prices dropped it would be a catastrophe for many people and banks and lending institutions as they are often highly geared.

If you are planning to work in the city then the proximity to transport is vital. I travelled by train to the city (55 min) but was 5 min walk to the station, other people I worked with were closer to the city 25-30 min train ride but it took them 20 mins to drive to the station and get parked so there was no real difference door to door. At the weekends they could get in a lot quicker but generally they didn't bother as they were there all week.

But interesting points Petals on real estate industry needing the inner city suburbs to stay desirable and highly priced. They do paint a picture that everything is perfect if you live inner city and that everyone in the outer suburbs has a poor quality of life!

If you are planning to work in the city then the proximity to transport is vital. I travelled by train to the city (55 min) but was 5 min walk to the station, other people I worked with were closer to the city 25-30 min train ride but it took them 20 mins to drive to the station and get parked so there was no real difference door to door. At the weekends they could get in a lot quicker but generally they didn't bother as they were there all week.

But interesting points Petals on real estate industry needing the inner city suburbs to stay desirable and highly priced. They do paint a picture that everything is perfect if you live inner city and that everyone in the outer suburbs has a poor quality of life!

The surely do paint the picture. What they do not say is that a lot of people are struggling to pay the prices and the mortgage. No point in living in a so called highly desirable suburb if entertainment is off the list due to affordability. Afraid this is so these days though. Two people having to work, pay child care, etc etc not much of a life. I was up in the city at the weekend and I was so pleased to get out of there. Noisy, smelly and crowded ha ha.

About the travel to work though, it takes people an hour from the close in suburbs and it takes people an hour from Frankston which is way down the line. Why because of the gridlock that is the tram networks lot. My daughter lives in Brunswick and it takes her just as long to get to work as it used to when she got the train from Frankston.

Well technically livability should be assessed by how long you live. In what suburb can you expect to live the longest?

That's an impossible question as people tend to move suburbs through their lives. Fewer people die in the poorest suburbs as people tend to move out, but the average age of those who do die in them tends to be very low because the average doesn't include those residents who move away.

Liability actually refers to quality of life, not length of life.

• 3 years later...
  • 1 year later...
On 08/11/2015 at 04:09, Bobths said:

The quiz on a related Age article was good - answer the questions on what is important to you in a suburb (proximity to trains, trams, parks, cafés, shops etc) and your house buying budget and it gives you the top 5 suburbs that fit your requirements. Happily, the suburb I live in is one of the 5 it picked out 🙂

That's sounds like the kind of quiz/ info I need, any chance you know where I can find it?

1 hour ago, starlight7 said:

Somewhere here who lives in Melbourne will tell you where the 'good' suburbs are.  You need to be a bit careful. 

The thing is, it really depends on what matters to you. Do you want to live in a small unit in a richer suburb or a large house in a poorer suburb. Do cafes matter to you? Do you want to be near a station? Do you want to live near the beach or the bush? Do you want to be near a good school or near the nightclubs? 

Up to this Covid disaster multiple cafes were in just about every single suburb in Melbourne, no matter how far out. Now you see people queuing outside the local cafes for their fix instead of sitting inside. I can't think of a single suburb that doesn't have cafes and I have lived here most of my life.