Georgiajoe

Cancelling phone contract

We are heading back to Devon in two weeks (yippee!) but would like to know if anyone has any advice on cancelling phone contracts. We have three phones and are paying Optus $160 a month. We have seven months left on the contract.

morally, we realise that we should continue paying, but with so many costs involved with moving back, this is something we want to avoid if possible. Has anyone had any experience with this?

Any advice would be much appreciated ?

IELTS 16/09/11 W 7.5, R 8.0, S 9.0, L 7.5. Vetassess paperwork 25/10/11,vetassess level 1 02/12/11, vetassess pract 25/2/12, passed 03/03/12, WA SS 19/03/12, WA SS granted 21/03/12, visa app lodged 30/03/12, Meds 29/05/12, VISA GRANTED 27/06/12, flights booked 25/01/13

We are heading back to Devon in two weeks (yippee!) but would like to know if anyone has any advice on cancelling phone contracts. We have three phones and are paying Optus $160 a month. We have seven months left on the contract.

morally, we realise that we should continue paying, but with so many costs involved with moving back, this is something we want to avoid if possible. Has anyone had any experience with this?

Any advice would be much appreciated 

Sadly you only have 2 choices. 1. Pay out the contract 2. Skip the country and don't pay.

To be honest I would just go and forget about it. It's just a phone contract at the end of the day.

Loving life in Gods Country. Woohoo, look at me. 

I've heard of Agencies chasing debts from the UK to Australia, is this correct?

Partner Visa (subclass 309/subclass 100 lodged 02/04/2015, CO (VF) allocated 06/05/2015 and granted 16/12/2015. Police ACRO Check completed 24/09/2015, Medical Check completed 01/10/2015, currently completing a C100 removal from jurisdiction for my Stepson, next court date 23rd December, looking to locate to Melbourne Berwick area with my family of six in early April 2016.

I've heard of Agencies chasing debts from the UK to Australia, is this correct?

No, it just wouldn't be worth the while, there'd be no way to legally enforce the debt, debt owed to the government is different however.

Jeremy Corbyn on the EU  " A European bureaucracy totally unaccountable to anybody"

So I can tell EE to go and multiply! ;-)

Partner Visa (subclass 309/subclass 100 lodged 02/04/2015, CO (VF) allocated 06/05/2015 and granted 16/12/2015. Police ACRO Check completed 24/09/2015, Medical Check completed 01/10/2015, currently completing a C100 removal from jurisdiction for my Stepson, next court date 23rd December, looking to locate to Melbourne Berwick area with my family of six in early April 2016.

So I can tell EE to go and multiply! ;-)

So long as you are 100 per cent sure you won't be moving back to the U.K.

Jeremy Corbyn on the EU  " A European bureaucracy totally unaccountable to anybody"

I just paid off my contract just in case i wanted to go back and didn't want credit rating affected..also I felt obliged to as that's what I agreed to..glad I did as I will be returning

Is it allowed to break the contract and just pay a penalty? That's how it works where I live.

189 Visa - Electrician (General) 341111 - Skills Assessment (TRA) mailed 23 July, 2015 - Skills Assessment Positive 23 Sept. 2015 - PTE-A 3 Oct, 2015 (L90; S90; R90; W90) - EOI 5 Oct, 2015 (65 points) - Invitation received 8 Oct, 2015 - Visa Submitted 12 Oct, 2015 - Grant received 16 Dec, 2015

I'd tell them you're going and they will probably charge a cancellation fee. Some stories of utilities blacklisting people and affecting credit status - not sure if true but why burn your bridges if you want to come back at some stage?

I'd tell them you're going and they will probably charge a cancellation fee.

Yes, I would do that. Tell them you are only willing to pay a lot less than paying off the contract - as the alternative for them is your not paying anything after you leave.