My travel thread

Quokka2005

My sister is in her mid 50s. Since she was about 30, she has been taking off travelling for several months a year, every year. Sometimes alone. More often now with her partner. They don't go to touristy places, they go to Africa and India, and don't stay in five star hotels, but in small local places. They take local trains, one time - I think in India - bought bikes and travelled on those. She doesn't have kids - I think mine may have put her off! - but is certainly an example of age not being a barrier to doing what you enjoy.

I have a friend who does the same. Her last holiday roughing it was in Mongolia and she had a great time. We used to go all over Thailand staying with locals and using trains and buses. Thailand is great for travelling like that with children as the Thais love children. Last 'roughing' holiday we had was around Cambodia. I hope to go back there one of these days.

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I kept holding off longer than I probably should have but that's me booked my flight home :( I'm a bit upset about it but I would have had to at one point anyway. I've had a great time and managed to do a few things that I never thought I would like sky diving. I won't even go on a rollercoaster back home lol.

The plan is to go home and save again to either come back for a holiday here and then a whv for new Zealand OR if I know what I want to study then college after a holiday there. Probably going to find it really hard to see Australia stuff on Facebook for a while

I kept holding off longer than I probably should have but that's me booked my flight home :( I'm a bit upset about it but I would have had to at one point anyway. I've had a great time and managed to do a few things that I never thought I would like sky diving. I won't even go on a rollercoaster back home lol.

The plan is to go home and save again to either come back for a holiday here and then a whv for new Zealand OR if I know what I want to study then college after a holiday there. Probably going to find it really hard to see Australia stuff on Facebook for a while

Aww...when you leaving?? You've had such an adventure, great memories I hope. Travel and experiencing new places is the best thing ever.

Sorry to hear that you are going home, and that we didn't get chance to meet up. I am really going to miss your updates and pictures. You are bound to feel sad about leaving but remember you have had an amazing journey and experienced some incredible things. Plus its not goodbye, just see ya later :hug: Xx

I leave monday night. Thank you for that great day in summer, really appreciate it. I still look at that pic of me and the birds eating out my hand. Its things like the birds that im going to miss. Wish i could bring those and quokkas back home with me lol!

Have a good flight back Stacey. Maybe next time we'll see you in Tasmania!

Good luck :smile:

I leave monday night. Thank you for that great day in summer, really appreciate it. I still look at that pic of me and the birds eating out my hand. Its things like the birds that im going to miss. Wish i could bring those and quokkas back home with me lol!

Safe journey home, all the best xM

Thanks everyone. Tasmanias definitely on the list for next time I'm in Australia. I'll print out a map and pictures to keep me motivated for saving lol.

Absolutely dreading the flight. Think I'll just get drunk, I had a vodka on it last time and it tasted really strong so it'll probably only take 2 of them to knock me out haha.

Sorry I didn't get to meet you michaela, I'm free tomorrow but I guess you'll be working. Definitely next time! I'm in a mad rush today trying pack and meet 2 of my friends before I go. And also replace some of the gifts that went walkabouts from my hostel

Never mind Stace- nearly in Australia. Which bit are you going to first? A lot of us go to Singapore for a short hol- not so cheap as it once was but a good place to go (and also on the way to so many other places). If you go back take a look at Newtons Circus at night ( not a circus, just a huge eating open air market), can get there easily by public transport.

Totally understand your mixed feelings about leaving Stacey, but when you look back at where you have been, what you have seen, what you have achieved on your list of "must see and do", and how you have grown as a person, you will give a huge grin of satisfaction. In life you cannot always do, see and experience everything that you want when you want it, and that is because you always need to have something to look forward to.

Rolo and I are meeting you tomorrow for one last doggie walk and coffee and taking you somewhere I hope you will enjoy as a last memory of Perth until you return in the future. X Rossy

:hug:

you have done and seen a lot ... maybe not everything you wanted but it does not matter ... but now you have learnt about what to do on a working holiday ... your experience here will benefit you in the future ... it must have changed you and maybe you will find it a bit difficult to settle back home ...but all credit to you ... you travelled here all on your own which takes guts ...

Thanks for the nice messages everyone. I definitely enjoyed my time here, I probably didn't realise how much until I actually made the plans to leave. Hopefully get back next year.

Does anyone have any jet lag advice? I'm really dreading this flight especially since it's a full one. On the way here I got a row to myself. I'll probably end up beside a screaming baby lol. Feel like just having a few drinks and then hopefully that will knock me out.

My mum doesn't know I'm definitely coming, a few people have mentioned it on facebook but as long as she doesn't know the date. Think I'm going to either tell her I'm staying on another week or 2 or just tell her I'm coming another day. Then I'm going to surprise her :laugh: I wouldn't do that to my gran though in case she had a heart attack!

Thanks for the nice messages everyone. I definitely enjoyed my time here, I probably didn't realise how much until I actually made the plans to leave. Hopefully get back next year.

Does anyone have any jet lag advice? I'm really dreading this flight especially since it's a full one. On the way here I got a row to myself. I'll probably end up beside a screaming baby lol. Feel like just having a few drinks and then hopefully that will knock me out.

My mum doesn't know I'm definitely coming, a few people have mentioned it on facebook but as long as she doesn't know the date. Think I'm going to either tell her I'm staying on another week or 2 or just tell her I'm coming another day. Then I'm going to surprise her :laugh: I wouldn't do that to my gran though in case she had a heart attack!

...that's the way.

B

Jet lag for some reason isn't usually anything like as bad going back from this part of the world, so don't worry too much.

The usual advice drink plenty of water, have some snacks with you, keep your sugar level up, catch up on the films, try to sleep, don't cry!

So sit back, relax and enjoy the flight, well the last bit is what my husband always said, and he should know!!! xM

Edited by ramot

I think you need to return with a positive mind set, you came for a year and have largely achieved that, you've seen a lot of the places you wanted to see so it's been a successful trip for you and you did it exactly how you wanted to.