My travel thread

Quokka2005

What did you work as though? I don't think I could do a similar care job as back home without a decent grasp of a foreign language but I guess things like bar work would be possible. I have a girl on my fb who works in Portugal doing that

I worked with horses (mares, foals and stallions) and in one of the jobs I also helped with the children though my boss and his wife also had a nanny, a maid and a housekeeper. :cool:

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I expect my son will travel back to Australia in his late teens/early 20's and I'm really hoping that he'll have a whole network of people he can turn to to get him on his feet & turn to if things get wobbly. Of course I am also looking forward to having their offspring pass through our house on their European travels! I'm talking about real life friends here, not PIO ones but who knows by then Stacey might be settled in Perth :):)

I know exactly where you are coming from. My offspring have travelled the world, and friends, family, and other unknown people, have all put them up, taken them about, and just supported them when they have "travelled". I have done the same to the offspring of those family and friends when they come to Australia, and I continue to offer that help and support to people here that I like who are travelling. Stacey started out as a PIO friend years ago, and since we physically met at the beginning of this year, she has become more than that, so I am supporting her in any way I can.

I know exactly where you are coming from. My offspring have travelled the world, and friends, family, and other unknown people, have all put them up, taken them about, and just supported them when they have "travelled". I have done the same to the offspring of those family and friends when they come to Australia, and I continue to offer that help and support to people here that I like who are travelling. Stacey started out as a PIO friend years ago, and since we physically met at the beginning of this year, she has become more than that, so I am supporting her in any way I can.

Like wise, mine have travelled, had hospitality, we have given it back happily, which was also why I told Stacey she was welcome if it fitted in with her plans.

I get Irish ,Scottish Welsh in that order and I am English lol

Hubby has had Italian ? Huh

favourite is and it's happened in more than one restaurant we ask for a carafe of rose' and get a bottle of water

Haha thats funny. My gran and mum have really strong glasgow accents and they were in spain recently. They asked for some jam. The man brought put ham. They tried again aND he brought out another few types of ham :laugh: i thoyght it was so funny when she told me because i can just imagine grans reaction

I suppose its easier for a woman if she assumes she can just marry a bloke sometime and be a housewife.

A man has to plan for his future. Career, house etc.

Oh bollocks! There are plenty of young men nowadays who take time off to go travelling and/or work at several different jobs in different countries.

And there'd be very few women these days who

can just marry a bloke sometime and be a housewife.

It's not the 1950's any more, pc.

Oh bollocks! There are plenty of young men nowadays who take time off to go travelling and/or work at several different jobs in different countries.

And there'd be very few women these days who

It's not the 1950's any more, pc.

The sixties and seventies times of travel when it was a new frontier on the road obviously passed parley by, even if not old enough to have partaken. Definitely a retro from the post war years.

I'm not disagreeing that I shouldn't consider college next year but I think your "travelling my whole life" comments are stupid. I've spent 10 months in australia and will hopefully visit nz next year. I never once said I was going to travel my whole life.

Btw some girls and men decide they are happier doing non professional jobs and travel for as long as possible. If they are happy then I don't see why you have a problem with it. Not everyone has to be married and pregnant by 25.

I'm not disagreeing that I shouldn't consider college next year but I think your "travelling my whole life" comments are stupid. I've spent 10 months in australia and will hopefully visit nz next year. I never once said I was going to travel my whole life.

Btw some girls and men decide they are happier doing non professional jobs and travel for as long as possible. If they are happy then I don't see why you have a problem with it. Not everyone has to be married and pregnant by 25.

Definitely a subversive. The question being how dangerous.

Travelling for experience does not have to be confined to your 20's or 30's or because you are single. If you find a like-minded partner you can travel together, work and live in different countries, even bring up children whilst doing so. I just don't get why some people automatically assume that once you are in a relationship and sprogs start to come along, that you can't "travel". Admittedly there are some years when children are in secondary education that the family has to be more stable, but there are still holidays where you can take off and investigate other parts of your own country, or other countries. I started travelling when I was almost 18 and as an "old fart" still take off on trips to new places. Admittedly though I do prefer a comfy bed at night now and sleeping in a tent is a thing of the past, but when on my Ozzie jaunts with friends, we often stay in cabins/chalets/caravans in campsites to get as much of the "traveller" feel as we can.

So Stacey, you travel as much as you want, doing what you want, or not..... your choice because it is your life and no-one else makes the decisions for you.

:wink:

My sister is in her mid 50s. Since she was about 30, she has been taking off travelling for several months a year, every year. Sometimes alone. More often now with her partner. They don't go to touristy places, they go to Africa and India, and don't stay in five star hotels, but in small local places. They take local trains, one time - I think in India - bought bikes and travelled on those. She doesn't have kids - I think mine may have put her off! - but is certainly an example of age not being a barrier to doing what you enjoy.

My brother did a lot of travelling - did hit 30 and had a bit of a crisis wondering what he'd done with his life and if he should have spent some time getting more qualifications. Everyone is different, I did my travelling after I'd qualified in nursing.

My sister is in her mid 50s. Since she was about 30, she has been taking off travelling for several months a year, every year. Sometimes alone. More often now with her partner. They don't go to touristy places, they go to Africa and India, and don't stay in five star hotels, but in small local places. They take local trains, one time - I think in India - bought bikes and travelled on those. She doesn't have kids - I think mine may have put her off! - but is certainly an example of age not being a barrier to doing what you enjoy.

I'd certainly get along like a house on fire with someone like that. Makes for an interesting person, not bogged down by the mundane stuff, so inflicting on many, besides giving the individual so many different insights and memories to take into old age. It is of course our experiences that are most important, above money, status and possessions which tends to ebb and flow, and the freedom to be able to live a life as such. I hope she has many more years on the road. Grand to hear there are still folk out there living such lives.

The ideal situation for those footloose and seeking adventure is perhaps get a job that may facilitate wanderings. English teacher (especially a degree level) would certainly assist in that. Few places are so cheap these times that allow long term wandering on the cheap, as was the case in the sixties and through the seventies and into the eighties.