My travel thread

Quokka2005

If i was to ever study for something that gained me a visa then i'd probably come out for a visa years but no i doubt it wwould be permanent. I'll probably get up the west coast before i go home and regret not trying harder to get decent 2nd year work

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If i was to ever study for something that gained me a visa then i'd probably come out for a visa years but no i doubt it wwould be permanent. I'll probably get up the west coast before i go home and regret not trying harder to get decent 2nd year work

As long as you ensured you enjoyed your time here then no point worrying about the what if :)

• 2 weeks later...

Although @Rossmoyne already told people before I got to :tongue: I'm back in Perth at the moment. I stayed in Melbourne for just under 2 weeks and although there's definitely some really nice things about it, it just wasn't where I wanted to settle. I probably would have anyway but I got my UK tax refund early and it was £300 more than expected. Was just too tempting not to go travelling again. I've not been happy since I left the pub and very nearly went home a few times in Melbourne but always managed to talk myself out (or other people did!) I always feel settled in WA, I don't know why. My friend (not from pio) invited me around for dinner and it was nice just actually knowing someone. Although the girls in my room were nice in Melbourne they were quite a lot older than me. Looking back I should have just tried harder to stay in Adelaide instead of moving onto Melbourne but then I guess I wouldn't have went on the cheesy neighbours tour haha. I want to go back to Melbourne one day so I can do the great ocean road. Every time I went to book it just wasn't the right weather. I'd like to go to the hot springs too and I didn't go to see the Brighton beach huts which I regret.

Anyway the point of me coming back to WA is to do the west coast. Which everyone knows is my number 1 thing on this trio and was the thing that stopped me going home too. I'm just currently deciding wether to fly up to broome the now (expensive!!) Or hold off a bit. I've tried to find travel buddies to go up with but there's a lot more coming down from broome or darwin so it's probably easier going that way

Haha nope, I stupidly only just got a velocity card recently. I used tiger air to get here.. wasn't the best haha. Usually I use virgin. I won't be doing any more flying across now. Just going up the west coast and then either back to Scotland or to Asia on way home if I can afford it but I doubt it

I'm having a "Fed up with Australia" night. There's a lot I love and I will genuinely miss it especially the wildlife but it's such a rip off! I'm trying to do the west coast and really struggling to get it organised. I've tried for a week to find travel buddies, I did go meet one girl with a car but her car wouldn't have made it up there! Had no luck online. Tried the opposite way from broome to perth and its the same -not many people offering lifts. Then I went to book my flight to broome and the price had literally doubled!! From $330 to over $600. Although it does go back down next week.

I looked at doing a tour and its $1600 for 9 days one way. I realise that the distances are massive but how can they still justify that? For camping! Crazy. Few people suggested recently I take my tax refund to Asia. At first I thought hell no but now I'm pretty tempted. The main draw of the west coast for me is that I always wanted to see the red dog statue. Which probably sounds stupid. Otherwise I'll probably have missed the whale sharks and there's a 50% chance that I'd freak out and not go in because I can't swim.

I just wish it wasn't so expensive here. I'm going to have another look and see if I can even do a trip to exmouth instead of broome

Unless it's a tour - you really need a car to get around Exmouth and there isn't really much there.

ETA petrol is really much more expensive the further north you get, when we went to Exmouth we progressively paid more every time we filled up. I guess the tours are a business and they're out to make money and can charge what they want.

Edited by ali

Yeah i understand that petrol is more expensive but they are making a huuuuuge profit. Its mostly just camping and you make your own food like sandwiches. I just dont want to pay it but im going to have to choose between paying it or not doing it at all. It just irritatates me but i suppose we have companies back home that rip people off. Its just hard when i know i could live somewhere like thailand for at least a month with the money. It would probably be cheaper to do fiji for a holiday than that tour!

It all comes down to what you want to see and do Stacey. You always say the West Coast is a must for you, so you have to make up your mind whether to do it or not. Perhaps look at flights next week when the school holidays are over and they will be cheaper. I agree that the trip is a rip off, but it is a commercial business and they have overheads and salaries to pay, so you have to accept that any type of catered-for tour is going to cost you big bucks. I have seen a big change in you since you first got here, you are much more confident about yourself, but you have to get over this indecisiveness or your visa will run out and you will still be in Perth! Grandma nag... sorry!

Actually, $1600 for 9 days is not bad at all. It's a little under $180 a day - or a hundred pounds a day. For that, you'll have a guide, accommodation, transport, driver, food and peace of mind that if something goes wrong it will get sorted out. The guides know where to go so you don't go all that way and realise you missed the main attraction.

It might seem a lot after self-guided backpacking, but that's just what tours cost. You'd double or treble the price if Intrepid Tours were doing it.

I'm having a "Fed up with Australia" night. There's a lot I love and I will genuinely miss it especially the wildlife but it's such a rip off! I'm trying to do the west coast and really struggling to get it organised. I've tried for a week to find travel buddies, I did go meet one girl with a car but her car wouldn't have made it up there! Had no luck online. Tried the opposite way from broome to perth and its the same -not many people offering lifts. Then I went to book my flight to broome and the price had literally doubled!! From $330 to over $600. Although it does go back down next week.

I looked at doing a tour and its $1600 for 9 days one way. I realise that the distances are massive but how can they still justify that? For camping! Crazy. Few people suggested recently I take my tax refund to Asia. At first I thought hell no but now I'm pretty tempted. The main draw of the west coast for me is that I always wanted to see the red dog statue. Which probably sounds stupid. Otherwise I'll probably have missed the whale sharks and there's a 50% chance that I'd freak out and not go in because I can't swim.

I just wish it wasn't so expensive here. I'm going to have another look and see if I can even do a trip to exmouth instead of broome

that cost isnt bad for everything you get included & the one i went on were brilliant & the cost isnt much more now even though i went a few years ago.

dont want to sound mean but you keep going places & not doing things & saying you want to go back to do them & then you dont get to go back. maybe stop flying from one side of oz to the other & back again & spend some money on the tour & see something before you got to go home. apart from that drive you did in qld to sydney you didnt really do much. end your trip with something interesting. good luck anyway.

Please do the trip - it was the highlight of my backpacking year. Yes it's expensive and it might only be camping - but you get to camp in places you'd never be able to find if you tried driving yourself. If you fly to Broome or one of the main tourist centres you'll miss out on the best of the west coast. You will never experience anything like it I promise. There's a lot of driving but no messing around. Each day is filled with something new and unique. I can't recommend it highly enough.

How fit do you have to be? I've noticed all the tours are saying that you should be fit because of hiking on uneven slippery ground etc. I'm not fit at all and the idea of being in a group and being the only one who can't do it makes me really anxious. I can do small hikes but that's it, I'm only interested in the beaches etc. That's why I wanted to travel with someone and a car. So I can opt out of things that aren't suitable

Guest The Pom Queen
that cost isnt bad for everything you get included & the one i went on were brilliant & the cost isnt much more now even though i went a few years ago.

dont want to sound mean but you keep going places & not doing things & saying you want to go back to do them & then you dont get to go back. maybe stop flying from one side of oz to the other & back again & spend some money on the tour & see something before you got to go home. apart from that drive you did in qld to sydney you didnt really do much. end your trip with something interesting. good luck anyway.

That's true, think of how much you have spent on flights whilst you have been in Australia. You keep going to the East coast then flying back to Perth then flying to the East and back again. I wish a lot of backpackers would start in one area and do the full circle. Although even then they would miss so much.

Im surprised you went back to Perth without having your plans in place. Maybe head to Bali if you think Australia is a rip off. My son said it is really cheap

Guest The Pom Queen
How fit do you have to be? I've noticed all the tours are saying that you should be fit because of hiking on uneven slippery ground etc. I'm not fit at all and the idea of being in a group and being the only one who can't do it makes me really anxious. I can do small hikes but that's it, I'm only interested in the beaches etc. That's why I wanted to travel with someone and a car. So I can opt out of things that aren't suitable

Ask them. It's not going to be 20km hikes. Maybe 2-3 at the most probably to the waterfalls or up hills etc

.........I guess lovely we have all had our ideas of how we would travel your path......

........you have achieved so much.......seen a lot......don't forget that....

.........so perhaps now is the time to choose something you really want to see....

.........and try your hardest to achieve just that...!

...........you can always come back..........most of it will still be there lol...

...........just enjoy what you do........choose something you had set your heart on....

............good luck.....Xxx

That's true, think of how much you have spent on flights whilst you have been in Australia. You keep going to the East coast then flying back to Perth then flying to the East and back again. I wish a lot of backpackers would start in one area and do the full circle. Although even then they would miss so much.

Im surprised you went back to Perth without having your plans in place. Maybe head to Bali if you think Australia is a rip off. My son said it is really cheap

I did have a group but then i went to meet them and it was really obvious that the car wasnt going to make it to broome especially with 3 people and luggage so nobody ended up going. I didnt know it was going to fall through and i thought it would be easy to find other travel mates but its not at the moment. Lots of backpackers have ssaid the same thing.

I just checked and it says 4km a day

I did have a group but then i went to meet them and it was really obvious that the car wasnt going to make it to broome especially with 3 people and luggage so nobody ended up going. I didnt know it was going to fall through and i thought it would be easy to find other travel mates but its not at the moment. Lots of backpackers have ssaid the same thing.

I just checked and it says 4km a day

Do it Stacey - it should be really good. 4km is only 2.5 miles. I walk 6km every day and I'm old. :cool: Enjoy yourself.

None of it is challenging in terms of distance and the weather will be great right now. There was one hike in Karrijini which was a bit challenging in terms of the terrain but the end result is worth it. You work your way down into one of the gorges and then we waded/swam through one of the pools there. For the more adventurous there were opportunities to do some huge jumps off the rocks into the pools. The beaches are beautiful but the inland landscapes will blow you away. Another bonus of camping is you get to see some amazing sunrises and sunsets and then spend the night round a huge campfire.