My travel thread

Quokka2005

Uncertainty is always stressful.

Wait until you are in a country that speaks a different language, it can be even worse.

Then ramp up the stress even higher (as some crazy people do), by adding small kids.........

Slow down, smell the roses, worry about what you can influence, there is no point worrying about what you cant.

Take what you can, if you can. If not, no worries, something might or might not come up.

You dont have a mortgage or dependents to provide for, so just have fun.......

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You and every other backpacker, it ain't that easy....not to mention her friend with benefits is off to Uni in SA ;)

When I've been down there on holiday a few times there have been loads of jobs advertised in the local shops and pub notice boards. You don't have to stay right in Margaret's, there are so many wineries and farms around there that there are heaps of jobs only advertised locally. Anywhere down there would be preferable to Kal.

Guest The Pom Queen
Hey Kate

You don't have the farmers details handy do you? I googled but couldn't see any job Information

Sure will send when I get home. Also chatting to someone who has an avocado farm today. If I do set it up you are going to go ahead though aren't you as you keep changing your mind lol.

Guest The Pom Queen
I don't think travelling is supposed to make you as stressed as I am right now

Stress - Hun I really wish I had your life right now. One day when you are older with kids and a family you will look back and realise that this wasn't stressful at all.

Thanks x if i can find a place that actually pays a fair wage and then ill 100% give it a go. Bottler gave me her gramdaufhters work place and i tried that but i never got amywhere with him. The boss's daughter is trying to find me somewhere cos she knows half of people in aus haha

Yeah i know things could be 100 times worse but i see my other backpacking friends on facebook and they seem much more settled than i do. Most are in au pair jobs and seem 100% fine with not doing the 2nd year work. Everytime i think im fine with it because theres so much other stuff i want to do but then i wonder if id regret it. My boss knew the wages of the citrus place and said she didnt think it was a good idea, i asked her about the possibility of me still staying on till july but my replacement comes on wednesay. So i have to say goidbye to will and my friends. And i phoned my mum last night and she was breaking her heart because its coming upmto the anniversary of my grandad and they are sorting grave stuff out etc. So things could be a lot worse but they arent great either

Thanks x if i can find a place that actually pays a fair wage and then ill 100% give it a go. Bottler gave me her gramdaufhters work place and i tried that but i never got amywhere with him. The boss's daughter is trying to find me somewhere cos she knows half of people in aus haha

Yeah i know things could be 100 times worse but i see my other backpacking friends on facebook and they seem much more settled than i do. Most are in au pair jobs and seem 100% fine with not doing the 2nd year work. Everytime i think im fine with it because theres so much other stuff i want to do but then i wonder if id regret it. My boss knew the wages of the citrus place and said she didnt think it was a good idea, i asked her about the possibility of me still staying on till july but my replacement comes on wednesay. So i have to say goidbye to will and my friends. And i phoned my mum last night and she was breaking her heart because its coming upmto the anniversary of my grandad and they are sorting grave stuff out etc. So things could be a lot worse but they arent great either

:hug:

Guest The Pom Queen

Just chatted with Tom he said you could have a job no problem at all and he would give you a good wage and look after you, the downside is its out of season for them now so he could only employ you between October and April.

He said to contact Stephen he doesn't want me posting his contact details on here so will pm you, but that would be picking strawberries.

Yeah but the girls there are earning less than $30 some days. No am I working for that sort of money. Not when I've got to pay $150 for a dorm room with that.

I'm speaking to a farmer tomorrow about a job on a almond farm. It's $21.50 an hour and lots of work available apparently. So I'll see what happens with that. I'm heading to perth on Friday. If I get that job I go to it on Monday. Otherwise I'm going to forget the 2nd year and see if I can do the west coast right now or I'll get another pub job for 6 or 8 weeks and then do it.

I made a list of all the things I want to do - new Zealand, a WHV in Canada, camp america, some of Asia, a tour of America and Interrailing around Europe. So I've plenty other options if I don't do a 2nd year

• 2 weeks later...

So after loads of dead ends with hourly paid work,i've got the quite hard decision of do I just make the most of the rest of my time here or do I just take the fruit picking which would work out at $10 an hour or less. My friends here are supposed to be doing a road trip up west coast and asked me to come along..I really want to because it would be amazing fun but I'm worried about afterwards because it'll be too late. I should have tried the farm work when I first arrived but it's easy to think that you've got loads of time. It's not the absolute end of the world because I'll have tourist visas and new Zealand, Canada etc but it's still a hard decision :unsure: my heads really sore from thinking about it all

Just a wee note if you would be planning on doing Canada/New Zealand straight away. Canada wouldn't give us working holiday visas (or equivalent) as we hadn't been resident in home country (UK) for the 18 months prior to applying (we had been on WHV in Aus and NZ for two years). Just something to keep in mind.

Do what feels right. You could always try out the fruit picking, see if you think you could hack it for the 3 months, and if not, go join your friends travelling up the coast.

Ah really?! I didnt realise those were the rules. I dont know wether to just do new zealand as a holiday or a year but i want to do canada at some point so ill have to be careful of that. So many plans..so little noney haha.

Flying over SA would eat into my savings and for living costs if my work doesnt cover them. So im not 100% i could even really go back to WA to get them. They leave end of june sometime. I tried to get them to go earlier but they want to finish their contractb

So its my last night at the pub. They were starting to think i was never leaving cos the leaving date kept changing haha. I'm off to south australia with my friend and her family. Driving from WA to adelaide. Then im off to the fruit picking place on monday.. cant say im looking forward to it but need to at least try for a few weeks or i'll regret it

So its my last night at the pub. They were starting to think i was never leaving cos the leaving date kept changing haha. I'm off to south australia with my friend and her family. Driving from WA to adelaide. Then im off to the fruit picking place on monday.. cant say im looking forward to it but need to at least try for a few weeks or i'll regret it

1% inspiration, 99% perspiration.

At least you will be closer to the friend with benefits.

Awesome, the bestest of luck Hen xx

You never know, it may just be fun. It's all about making memories xxx

Beach loving, ice cream eating Ginge always having fun xx

So ive just found out my lift to adelaide is cancelled. And the guys at the hostel are getting rained off all the time and cant pick the fruit when its wet. I dont know what to do

I'm sorry but not sure what to say or advise as I've never done the fruit picking thing.

All I will say is that I hope it works out for you in the bestest possible way xxxx

Beach loving, ice cream eating Ginge always having fun xx

So ive just found out my lift to adelaide is cancelled. And the guys at the hostel are getting rained off all the time and cant pick the fruit when its wet. I dont know what to do

Have you checked out Kangaroo island for regional work? Though this time of year it may be non existent.

It may be the ship has sailed on regional work in SA if the weather stays like this for fruit picking. In which case, if you have other regional work options, explore them quick or else just accept you've missed the regional work and go enjoy the rest of your time in Aus without keep worrying.

All the seasonal work is finished in our area too.

@Quokka I was reading about two Finnish backpackers who were given a hard time when doing bar work in Coolgardie. Hope your place was a tad more refined than the one they were working in. It sounds like a nightmare place.

http://www.cbc.ca/radio/asithappens/as-it-happens-friday-edition-1.3559314/two-finnish-women-walk-into-a-bar-in-the-australian-outback-what-happens-next-is-no-joke-1.3559320

Me and my friend ended up getting a lift to perth at 5am except the driver was going to bussleton so ive ended up im dunsborough. Theres no space in that SA hostel till early nrxt week if i do go so there wasnt much point flying over a lot earlier than i was going to arrive.

My other option is farm work around this area but im not dure if the weather mucks up peoples days here too

All the seasonal work is finished in our area too.

@Quokka I was reading about two Finnish backpackers who were given a hard time when doing bar work in Coolgardie. Hope your place was a tad more refined than the one they were working in. It sounds like a nightmare place.

http://www.cbc.ca/radio/asithappens/as-it-happens-friday-edition-1.3559314/two-finnish-women-walk-into-a-bar-in-the-australian-outback-what-happens-next-is-no-joke-1.3559320

I havent read it yet but ali mentioned it too. I didnt get anything really really bad, just the occasional stupid comments

My other option is farm work around this area but im not dure if the weather mucks up peoples days here too

Yep, it's winter in WA too!!!

Average number of rain days much higher in Bussleton than Adelaide for the next 5 months, [TABLE=width: 100%]

[TR=class: alt, bgcolor: #F9F9F9]

[TD=class: hilight, bgcolor: #EEEBCE, align: right]Jun 17.0[/TD]

[TD=align: right]Jul 19.8[/TD]

[TD=align: right]Aug 18.9[/TD]

[TD=align: right]Sept 16.4[/TD]

[TD=align: right]Oct 10.0[/TD]

[TD=align: right]Nov 6.7[/TD]

[/TR]

[/TABLE]