My travel thread

Quokka2005

I'm not surprised you're feeling a bit down mate, just take a bit of time to recover and relax, do some holiday stuff, once you've had a chance to find your bearings get over the flight and feel a bit better you'll be fine, this time next week I bet you'll be in a much better frame of mind. Oh and the medicare thing, everyone goes through that, it's a kind of rite of passage.

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It wasn't very busy when I was there but I want a refund on my ticket lol. I couldn't imagine spending a week there. Maybe it's just because I don't have kids. Who knows! Just didn't like it. My fave part was the river cruise. I do wish I'd went to more but I didn't really fit much else in, I don't like to be running around mad constant. I was going to go to gardens in the bay today but I just didn't feel very well. Next time!

So glad you did the river trip Stacey... I so enjoyed that. Gardens by the Bay will only improve, so you can see it next time. And yep totally understand your comments about Sentosa as it never appealed to me either!!!

That's partly why I thought about leaving - I don't want to be working to only pay my rent. But I haven't even been to see the harbour etc yet. Maybe I'll see it and just find it really hard to leave lol

I love Sydney as a place to live (except for the summer heat and the high cost!), and there's plenty to see and do as a resident - but if you think about PRIORITIES, then I would be going up to Brisbane where you'll be much closer to a lot of the most amazing, unique places in Australia so it'll be feasible for you to see many of them on weekends or the occasional week off. And it'll be a lot cheaper to live!

http://www.pomsinoz.com/forum/queensland/241012-queensland-must-dos.html

....though in your shoes, as a new backpacker with limited funds, I'd be grabbing the chance of free accommodation in Perth to get you started - you'll want to go and see WA at some point so why not now?

I think I said, way back in one of your other threads, that I can never understand why backpackers always start in Sydney, because it's so dear. Also, if you made a list of the 20 "must see" things about Australia, hardly any of them would be in Sydney or even in New South Wales. Once you've "done" the Harbour, you could easily move on and you won't have missed much. For instance, Sydney has nice beaches but then, Queensland beaches are even better (and just wait till you see the beaches on the Whitsundays....). Taronga Zoo has fabulous views but otherwise it's just a zoo and I've seen better in the UK/Europe. The Darling Harbour attractions are all tourist traps. The Blue Mountains are pretty but if you've been to the Scottish Highlands or the Alps then they're not awe-inspiring.

Edited by Marisawright

You're supposed to treat a sprain for about 48 hours. Put ice on it 4 to 8 times a day, but only for about 20 mins at a time. You need to strap it up or put a compression (tubagrip) bandage on it - you can buy these at the pharmacy

If it doesn't improve, you're going to have to get an x-ray Stacey

Stace listen to Ali... she is a nurse!!!!

I love Sydney as a place to live (except for the summer heat and the high cost!), and there's plenty to see and do as a resident - but if you think about PRIORITIES, then I would be going up to Brisbane where you'll be much closer to a lot of the most amazing, unique places in Australia so it'll be feasible for you to see many of them on weekends or the occasional week off. And it'll be a lot cheaper to live!

I think I said, way back in one of your other threads, that I can never understand why backpackers always start in Sydney, because it's so dear. Also, if you made a list of the 20 "must see" things about Australia, hardly any of them would be in Sydney or even in New South Wales. Once you've "done" the Harbour, you could easily move on and you won't have missed much. For instance, Sydney has nice beaches but then, Queensland beaches are even better (and just wait till you see the beaches on the Whitsundays....). Taronga Zoo has fabulous views but otherwise it's just a zoo and I've seen better in the UK/Europe. The Darling Harbour attractions are all tourist traps. The Blue Mountains are pretty but if you've been to the Scottish Highlands or the Alps then they're not awe-inspiring.

While I agree a long term stay in Sydney probably wouldn't be high on my list I wouldn't write the entire state off that quickly Marisa. There are some stunningly beautiful and interesting things in New South Wales.

I agree with most of what you say. As far as zoos go, I do think Taronga is one of the best but I prefer Dubbo Plains Zoo and I don't think Stacey would be interested in a trip out to Dubbo just to see it. If you can get a job in Sydney however, I think it's a great place for 3 months or so then explore the rest of Australia - maybe when it's a bit less humid up north. I've known so many backpackers who seem to get stuck in Sydney and never make the effort to see the rest of the country.

Yeah I wondered if I'd broken a tiny bone too but when I touch my foot it jist feels like the skin hurts and I can put my weight on it.

Its bruised though

Get some Arnica cream from a health food store Stacey.... it will reduce the swelling and bruise... wonderful stuff. x

if you made a list of the 20 "must see" things about Australia, hardly any of them would be in Sydney or even in New South Wales.

Really! That is a bit harsh.

Loads of things to do in Sydney and NSW.

The Blue Mountains are pretty but if you've been to the Scottish Highlands or the Alps then they're not awe-inspiring.

Well surely you can't really stop going to places because somewhere overseas is better?! At that rate you would miss out on loads of stuff.

I have been to The Scottish Highlands and the Swiss Alps. And they are different from The Blue Mountains, so you cannot really even talk about them in the same sentence really. Like comparing London to Luton.

The Blue Mountains may not be "awe-inspiring" like the Swiss Alps; but they have charms in their own right.

Stacey - I would be very careful about following advice too closely. I made this mistake. I missed out on a couple of places on my WHV because someone said negative things about them. When I holidayed here a few years after my WHV, I happened to go to the places I had avoided previously. And I LOVED them. Kicked myself that I missed them the first time round on the say so of someone else.

While I agree a long term stay in Sydney probably wouldn't be high on my list I wouldn't write the entire state off that quickly Marisa. There are some stunningly beautiful and interesting things in New South Wales.

Of course there are! I knew people would misconstrue what I wrote. Why are people so defensive?

What I'm talking about are PRIORITIES. There are hundreds and hundreds of interesting things you COULD do in any country - but no one can see them all, especially a backpacker without a car. It makes sense to work out what are the most important things to see - the things you can't see anywhere else - and focus on them first. If you knock them all over and still have time to spare, do the rest. Personally I'd put most of NSW pretty far down the list of "must sees", even though there are plenty of beautiful places.

I've been away for a week SS (Sorry Quokka! :) )but really nice to hear of your travels so far!I'm sure you'll be feeling much better when your foot heals. Have you managed to meet up with any PIO members yet hon?

JumpingJilly,I've never been to Sydney (except the airport)but you need to keep in mind,everyone's experiences of places might be different than your own!I'm sure Quokka can make up her own mind where she wants to go,and places she would like to see.

Wow Stacey.... I have had a computer free weekend and it has taken me hours to read through all your posts. I hope your ankle is getting better... please think about the Arnica cream comments that a few of us comment on as it does work. I hope you are enjoying your time in Sydney... but just remember, there is so much more to Oz to explore!!!

Of course there are! I knew people would misconstrue what I wrote. Why are people so defensive?

What I'm talking about are PRIORITIES. There are hundreds and hundreds of interesting things you COULD do in any country - but no one can see them all, especially a backpacker without a car. It makes sense to work out what are the most important things to see - the things you can't see anywhere else - and focus on them first. If you knock them all over and still have time to spare, do the rest. Personally I'd put most of NSW pretty far down the list of "must sees", even though there are plenty of beautiful places.

Not defensive at all. Just surprised by a suggestion that I think is a little bit short sighted.

Backpackers often get to see most of it. Far more than the regular Aussie. Unless until or if they become a Grey Nomad. Some comments of back packers in my time was the similarity of the country with their experience of beaches, getting laid and getting peed up.

Ahhh ................ the good old days!

Thanks everyone. I'm feeling a lot better. Went out tonight and had a few drinks and met my group since I didn't meet them this morning. They are really lovely. A mix of Germans, English, Americans, Canadians and i met 2 scots from Ayr! They came up to me and said are you Stacey from Scotland :laugh: then said we need to stick together since nobody else understands us haha. So meeting everyone has cheered me up and finding out my foot is fine has helped too. I've been putting that cream on it. I didn't take the painkillers yet though since I've been drinking but it's not been that sore and I think the cream has pain stuff in it too.

I I promise to get some good pictures tomorrow and I'll use the PC to put them up! I took a picture of the clock at central station. All these bats were flying around it. I think they might have been fruit bats, they looked really big. I haven't decided wether to leave Sydney or stay. I guess I'll see how I feel tomorrow when I see what I consider the real Sydney to be. Maybe I'll fall in love with it. I'm definitely not going travelling up the east coast like the others though. Don't want to run out of money. If I leave it'll probably be somewhere else in NSW. Or maybe Victoria

Thanks everyone. I'm feeling a lot better. Went out tonight and had a few drinks and met my group since I didn't meet them this morning. They are really lovely. A mix of Germans, English, Americans, Canadians and i met 2 scots from Ayr! They came up to me and said are you Stacey from Scotland :laugh: then said we need to stick together since nobody else understands us haha. So meeting everyone has cheered me up and finding out my foot is fine has helped too. I've been putting that cream on it. I didn't take the painkillers yet though since I've been drinking but it's not been that sore and I think the cream has pain stuff in it too.

I I promise to get some good pictures tomorrow and I'll use the PC to put them up! I took a picture of the clock at central station. All these bats were flying around it. I think they might have been fruit bats, they looked really big. I haven't decided wether to leave Sydney or stay. I guess I'll see how I feel tomorrow when I see what I consider the real Sydney to be. Maybe I'll fall in love with it. I'm definitely not going travelling up the east coast like the others though. Don't want to run out of money. If I leave it'll probably be somewhere else in NSW. Or maybe Victoria

Yes, better to head south for the summer Stacey.

Ahh well Stace, at least if/when you come to Perth, you know you can get free lodgings, certainly from me and a few others I'm sure.

You can have Lindors room lol. Virtually the West wing to yourself, as daughter not here much now she has boyfriend. Your own room, toilet, shower/bathroom, home gym, wifi, Netflix, above ground pool. Don't need a car as the bus stop is just yards away, shops n restaurants within walking distance.

Two lazy labs to keep you company:wubclub:. Haha, don't worry, I wouldn't be in your face, I'm out a lot and its a v chilled house.

a half trip to catch the ferry for Rotto, to see the quokkas:wink:. We are going mid next month again if you want to join us:cool:

Don't get too comfortable in my room Stacey!!!

Quite a few of the girls are talking about leaving Sydney and going up the east coast. I'm not going up east Coast but I don't know wether to stay in Sydney or not. It's expensive and I don't know wether I'd even save any money when I work. I really don't want to run out of money and have to go home

I've not read through the whole thread Stacey, so forgive me if you have found work or decided to stay in Sydney for definite. Myself and my friend spent 6 months working for a company called The Outback Loop. They have two restaurants/bars/hotels..one in Birdsville, QLD, and one in Innamincka, SA. They take on lots of backpackers, and usually want you to stay for about 3 months....we loved it, hence stayed longer. They are both outback, and are beautiful, lots to explore. The best bit is saving money - the accommodation and meals are included (from the restaurant!) well it was $80/week which just came off wages. Only thing you spend your money on is alcohol. I would recommend it to anyone looking to escape the cities for a while, and save a bit of money.

It's their quiet season at the moment as it is rather roasty toasty in the desert, but if you are interested, get in contact with them, and they would maybe take you on in a few months time :)

http://theoutback.com.au/

Yeah, when we travelled around, it was mostly irish girls working in the roadhouses in the middle of nowhere. Innmincka and Birdsville are both lovely restaurants/hotels, and the bar is a good laugh. Comes highly recommended, and of a high standard.

Most were Aussies working there, although we took over from an Irish girl and Welsh guy who had been there for 3 months. I'll dig out some pics x