My travel thread

Quokka2005

I've read a lot of posts from backpackers saying they aren't doing their 2nd year now. They'll just go to New Zealand instead. I don't know if there's as much work in New Zealand though. I might go to nz and maybe just do some au pair work or something like that if I want to stay but can't find a normal job

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've read a lot of posts from backpackers saying they aren't doing their 2nd year now. They'll just go to New Zealand instead. I don't know if there's as much work in New Zealand though. I might go to nz and maybe just do some au pair work or something like that if I want to stay but can't find a normal job

My cousin and her boyfriend went to NZ on a WHV earlier this year and found it straightforward to find work.

They work in Auckland, and my cousin has now been sponsored by her employer beyond her WHV. They both found fantastic jobs and are loving NZ!

Agree, but they soon learn. The return was the carrot that kept a number going. Numbers being so great now, with an ever increasing number of nationalities entitled for a WHV, the impact may indeed not be as wide spread as in former times.

Of course in time past young foreigners worked for not much more than board and keep but had fun with not exactly taxing work for the most part, working on a Kibbutz in Israel. Not quite the same thing though.

My sister worked on a Kibbutz before going to uni way back in the 70's. Her first posting when she worked for the FO was Tel Aviv. Our great great grandfather was Jewish and my sister was always interested in that faith - not that she converted.

My sister worked on a Kibbutz before going to uni way back in the 70's. Her first posting when she worked for the FO was Tel Aviv. Our great great grandfather was Jewish and my sister was always interested in that faith - not that she converted.

It was of course a great gathering of the Western world youth, along with a few Japanese. My attempt to work there was a failure, travelling with a girlfriend, whose passport clearly stated Not Valid For Israel. The embassy in Athens, where we'd been staying at the time claimed special permission would need to be granted from Tel Aviv. We waited one month, but still no news and no passport, so reported in stolen and gained a new one through her embassy.

Not sure if an experience of worth lost or not. Never sure about this working for next to nothing scenario.

I doubt most backpackers have the first idea about tax when they set out on their travels. It seems to me that the only people who worry about taxes are Tories - the rest of us just have them deducted from our wages and never give them a second thought.

You could be wrong here. Bad news always has a habit of travelling and there is that pesky internet thing.

But even if they come here how many are going to work on farms for their second year if they cannot save enough from their earnings to stay anyway. The impact will fall on the farming sector which is why they are the ones lobbying the government.

That could be the way to go. We know a young German that done NZ, to be different than his sister that did OZ, and loved it. I believe found work with ease and travelled the entire country by camper van with a crew met at the hostel.

He raved about The Cook Islands where he spent two and a half weeks as part of the trip along with close on a month in the Fijian Islands.

Well, economic theory would suggest that if there is a shortage of labour, the wages would have to increase. This in turn would lead to higher prices at the farm gate, and higher retail prices. But it should not lead to crops rotting in the fields.

The problem for the farmers is not in paying higher wages...it is in getting sufficient numbers of mobile workers for short, but highly concentrated harvest times.....often to locations with poor, or no, transport links and very rudimentary accommodation. This may not be a problem with a business such as tomato growing in Qld which harvests for months on end and can build up a semi permanent workforce of locals. But for "one off" crops like cherries, apples or wine grapes which have a narrow harvest window but need a high volume of workers the situation can become dire without backpackers.

I'm in noosa. I'm really not sure about it.. It's very pretty but it's so busy! Even the tourist woman said she doesn't know where everyone came from because it's not usually this busy. The parking is awful and we couldn't find a campsite anywhere near the town so we had to stay in one quite a long way outside. I have a 6pm safety meeting for Fraser Island and both our trip meeting points at Wednesday are far from each other so I'm having to stay in the hostel for the night lol. Oh goody haha.

The Sunshine Coast Pride festival starts in Noosa on Friday night so I imagine people have started to arrive for that.

Lake Mckenzie was gorgeous. Almost as nice as Whitehaven tbh, in fact maybe even better since the water was really calm. When we went to Whitehaven it ended up being pretty choppy! We went a nature walk too - I can't remember half the stuff but there's a lot of ecosystem type stuff that makes the island really special. We got to see a few of those big lizards that I'm scared of. We had a baby huntsman in the jeep and everybody was hysterical while I was like "let me see it!!" Then really disappointed by the size lol. we found a massive dead one in the toilet (in my pics)

I think your trip is what it is! I left Aistralia in 1994 to holiday and get work with my B/f, we broke up in Spain 8 weeks later. I did the backpacker thing for 3 years, sometimes only having enough money to get to a city and walk around and not enough to do tourist things! Later when I was married to a Celtic Supporter and would go to the European games I'd go for a week to wherever the game was and I really got more of a flavour.18 years I travelled in the end! Neen nearly4 years back in Oz and don't feel settled here at all! In the end it is your trip!

Personally - I would recommend doing the 3 months regional work still to ensure you qualify for the 2nd year visa if you ever want to take it up. That may be straight away, or in a couple of years time.

There was no 2nd visa when i done my WHV, and when I got home from Aus, I was just itching to go again - so I went to NZ. I loved my time in NZ, there's plenty of work, as there is in Aus, a lot of regional and seasonal work and you can move from one seasonal area to another.

The only thing I regret about my trip is not spending another night or 2 at airlie but I think that's it, maybe another night at port Douglas too or a bit longer in cairns city to see if I liked it more. Other than that I've been really happy with my trip so far. I'll have another think about the 2nd year. I think I'd rather do a year in New Zealand or Canada but I might change my mind.

Ive got some pictures I'll need to put up at some point of me at lone pine koala park