My travel thread

Quokka2005

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I might have to wait till I'm a bit warmer to answer your questions, I feel like I've got brain freeze. I feel like I'm in blackpool in winter. I never thought I'd say i missed humidity haha.

To to answer the first question - As you all know - I struggled with the first week here which I was surprised at. I think i was a mix of things. I'm glad I went to Perth and I'm really glad I stuck the pub job out because I feel it gave me a experience of "real" Australia.

The east coast has been good so far but I was maybe expecting it to be better. I think I put too much pressure on things to be good especially if I hear about it a lot. I've really liked some places like FNQ and my favourite so far has been the whitsundays. Highlight of my trip so far. I go to Fraser Island on Wednesday. I don't think I've maybe had the same experience as some people because I haven't mixed with backpackers as much as other people do. I'm not a massive fan of hostels for the reasons I said about quite recently and then I travelled with jake. We probably don't get along as well as I hoped but I think it's because we don't know how to take each other sometimes. He's very sarcastic/cheeky and I apparently come across as aggressive lol. And I know I can be very annoying. But most of the time we get on and I don't regret travelling with him because I got to see more than the greyhound. Hopefully get to see a few more cool things throughout the year. Now that I'm more settled I'm enjoying it more. When I travel again after work I tbink I'll do it in a van again. I like the freedom rather than only buses to main cities. I'm even getting used to camping haha. I'm glad I came out to Australia - I delayed it far too long although I probably should have waited and saved a bit more money but I might have become too comfortable in my job and found it harder to leave. I haven't really been homesick either - a little at Christmas but that's normal.

Work wise - I honestly haven't a clue. We were both stopping in Brisbane to find work seperately but I'm going to give it a few days in Brisbane but if I don't like it then I'll have to move on. I've got a pull to Melbourne while it's still hot there but I don't know if I would find work there

I might have to wait till I'm a bit warmer to answer your questions, I feel like I've got brain freeze. I feel like I'm in blackpool in winter. I never thought I'd say i missed humidity haha.

To to answer the first question - As you all know - I struggled with the first week here which I was surprised at. I think i was a mix of things. I'm glad I went to Perth and I'm really glad I stuck the pub job out because I feel it gave me a experience of "real" Australia.

The east coast has been good so far but I was maybe expecting it to be better. I think I put too much pressure on things to be good especially if I hear about it a lot. I've really liked some places like FNQ and my favourite so far has been the whitsundays. Highlight of my trip so far. I go to Fraser Island on Wednesday. I don't think I've maybe had the same experience as some people because I haven't mixed with backpackers as much as other people do. I'm not a massive fan of hostels for the reasons I said about quite recently and then I travelled with jake. We probably don't get along as well as I hoped but I think it's because we don't know how to take each other sometimes. He's very sarcastic/cheeky and I apparently come across as aggressive lol. And I know I can be very annoying. But most of the time we get on and I don't regret travelling with him because I got to see more than the greyhound. Hopefully get to see a few more cool things throughout the year. Now that I'm more settled I'm enjoying it more. When I travel again after work I tbink I'll do it in a van again. I like the freedom rather than only buses to main cities. I'm even getting used to camping haha. I'm glad I came out to Australia - I delayed it far too long although I probably should have waited and saved a bit more money but I might have become too comfortable in my job and found it harder to leave. I haven't really been homesick either - a little at Christmas but that's normal.

Work wise - I honestly haven't a clue. We were both stopping in Brisbane to find work seperately but I'm going to give it a few days in Brisbane but if I don't like it then I'll have to move on. I've got a pull to Melbourne while it's still hot there but I don't know if I would find work there

Some may have hoped for a more glowing report, but a very fair report. You have already seen a lot more of Australia than many on here, certainly will have seen more than most Australians by the time you depart these shores.

I hope it has given you the taste to travel further afield and you do what you mentioned you'd like to do in another post. Being get out and see the world. Oz may lack a wow factor but is an easy country to start and at least wet the appetite for travel further afield..

Oh I hope i didn't sound too negative about Australia. I do love it here, I keep joking about the wildlife pissing me off but I'll really miss it when I go home. Ours will seem boring in comparison lol. It's just I've probably not had the really outgoing experience that some other people do. However I'm not that outgoing a person so I suppose I was never going to suddenly meet millions of friends etc.

ive been a bit disappointed with some areas that some backpackers raved about. 1770 was one - I just don't understand the hype at all. The beach was pretty but why anybody would want to spend more than a night there.. Rainbow beach isn't that great either. I preferred mission beach. We're going to noosa tomorrow and I've heard it's lovely so fingers crossed. Then Fraser Island after that. Looking forward to seeing some dingoes - as long as they don't eat me!

Yeah i think I've probably got the travel bug now. I'm currently trying to decide between doing the 2nd year work here or wether to continue to New Zealand or maybe a working holiday visa for Canada

One thing I found helpful for the bits I travelled on my own was to book onto an organised tour eg I did Kangaroo Island from Adelaide with a surfing lesson on the way. Itwas good to have a guide for some things and got to meet people in sociable groups. You wont get on with everyone but you meet allsorts and might find pals for onward travel etc. Ps. Noosa is nice ( well it was 10 yrs ago when I was there! ) A bizarre mix of surf bums and the super rich eg yachts and boutiques! Fraser was a big highlight. Try driving on the sand ' roads' - it's fun! The dingoes won't bother you. :)

Do try and get to Tassie. It's so worth it x

I must be easily pleased as I genuinely think Aus does have the WOW factor!

Edited by Bound4Tassie

I'm looking forward to Fraser. Me and jake are doing seperate tours and I've ended up booking a real backpacker one where they'll probably be drinking a lot etc. I'm going to try and make the most of it instead of being snobby or judgemental about some backpackers like I can be lol. I'll try get chatting to people properly since I'll be wanting to meet people when I get to Brisbane or whereever I end up. I really want to go to Tasmania and kangaroo Island

What do people think my chances are of finding work in Brisbane

You need to just get on and look/apply for positions if they're available. If someone says there's no work you'll decide not to give it a go, someone else might say there's work and then you'll be confused on what to do. Be decisive lol

Oh I hope i didn't sound too negative about Australia. I do love it here, I keep joking about the wildlife pissing me off but I'll really miss it when I go home. Ours will seem boring in comparison lol. It's just I've probably not had the really outgoing experience that some other people do. However I'm not that outgoing a person so I suppose I was never going to suddenly meet millions of friends etc.

ive been a bit disappointed with some areas that some backpackers raved about. 1770 was one - I just don't understand the hype at all. The beach was pretty but why anybody would want to spend more than a night there.. Rainbow beach isn't that great either. I preferred mission beach. We're going to noosa tomorrow and I've heard it's lovely so fingers crossed. Then Fraser Island after that. Looking forward to seeing some dingoes - as long as they don't eat me!

Yeah i think I've probably got the travel bug now. I'm currently trying to decide between doing the 2nd year work here or wether to continue to New Zealand or maybe a working holiday visa for Canada

Nothing wrong with relating to how you find it. Some find a certain sameness doing the East Coast. In between there is always some points of interest. Everybody does the road their way.

I wasn't overly impressed with Mission Beach(but most appeared to have been, though) and never been to Noosa (probably wouldn't be able to afford the latte's) nor shamefully Fraser Island.

So look to see what you make of those places.

I'd probably do the second year providing you are able to save money, but would also do New Zealand and Canada as well. In between do Asia and Pacific Area and don't forget South Africa and Namibia and get to some animal parks.

I can see what you mean about sameness, we do feel like that about a few places. People kept telling me to go to all these waterfalls but I went to 2 or 3 in one day and I don't want to see another one lol. Some of the islands look beautiful but really similar too. At $180 -200 a pop you couldn't go to loads of them. My Fraser Island is expensive and I've started worrying about money now so I need to find a job ASAP.

Well the new backpacker tax law comes in on June or July. We are going to be taxed 33% on every single dollar now so I'm not sure it's going to be very easy for people to save. I keep hearing so many bad stories about farms too

I can see what you mean about sameness, we do feel like that about a few places. People kept telling me to go to all these waterfalls but I went to 2 or 3 in one day and I don't want to see another one lol. Some of the islands look beautiful but really similar too. At $180 -200 a pop you couldn't go to loads of them. My Fraser Island is expensive and I've started worrying about money now so I need to find a job ASAP.

Well the new backpacker tax law comes in on June or July. We are going to be taxed 33% on every single dollar now so I'm not sure it's going to be very easy for people to save. I keep hearing so many bad stories about farms too

I was talking to a couple of German girls who are backpacking here. They are grape picking and packing. They also told me about the 33% tax. Just ridiculous. Discourages all the young overseas people from working. Who's bright idea was that?

They also told me about the 33% tax. Just ridiculous. Discourages all the young overseas people from working. Who's bright idea was that?

Probably the politicians who don't pay any because they can afford expensive "creative" tax accountants. :rolleyes: The farmers are really mad about it too as they won't be able to get all the workers they need for peak harvest times.

Probably the politicians who don't pay any because they can afford expensive "creative" tax accountants. :rolleyes: The farmers are really mad about it too as they won't be able to get all the workers they need for peak harvest times.

Yes, I was listening to the local radio the other day and the farmers here weren't happy either.

For an at best, a little over average tourist country, Australia sure knows how to shoot itself in the foot. The cost to fly here. Then the outrageous costs once arrive here and now further taxes to take from easy pickings, all I can say is they deserve to go belly up.

Farming work can indeed be awful, depending on the farm you end up on. Some do treat Backpackers as the scum of the earth. Or is that the human race in particular? There is a reason not more Aussies don't want to it. I only lasted a little over a week in NT , that was way back almost twenty years ago. I heard some horror stories from Kununurra at the time. Too repetitive to be dismissed as grizzlies.

Of course there must be any number that treat their workers with decorum, but good to be aware of the other side as well. As usual word of mouth probably the best gauge.

Yes with the new taxes perhaps the value of working needs to be weighed up. No idea what the work is like in New Zealand, but it could be worth looking into as an option? Or hang the work. Work six months and spend several months on the Asian trail. As I mentioned before you left UK, money will go four times further and a lot to see and experience and travellers everywhere.

The government here seem to hate backpackers. We spend so much money here but get treated like rubbish. The idea of paying 33% puts me off even more lol but I know I won't see everything I want to within the year which is a bit disappointing

Just another part of the general money making process with foreign nationals. Regardless if it be immigration, international students or Backpackers.

I think in a year you could cover a fair bit. Depends on how much you think worth seeing and at what cost, I expect. You've already covered Sydney/ Outback South West WA/ Perth/ FNQ / NQ/ and soon Brisbane. A fair whack already.

Brisbane is a great lifestyle city to live but I wouldn't spend too much time as a backpacker though unless really need the work. No idea about backpacker job market though. Been to Byron a couple of times this year, still loads of backpackers around and a great place to chill out and meet people

I've still got Brisbane to Adelaide to cover and then I want to do the west coast. I'd love to see Uluru too if I can but I doubt I'll manage to see all of that

I'll probably catch it for saying this but I thought Uluru was hugely overrated. Very expensive out there too ...................... and the heat and the bloody flies :sad: I went with my sister when she was here for a visit and she enjoyed it.

I don't imagine there's any work in Byron. The people from my tour group were convinced that they would find work there and be hippies etc but none of them found work there. Few found work around Brisbane and Gold Coast

Oh yeah definitely wouldn't be much round Byron and the demand would be huge! Just saying places like that will probably be more fun as a backpacker than Brisbane and Adelaide. Saying that I did farmwork few hours out of Adelaide and had an awesome time.

The government here seem to hate backpackers. We spend so much money here but get treated like rubbish. The idea of paying 33% puts me off even more lol but I know I won't see everything I want to within the year which is a bit disappointing

If I were you I would only aim to work until the tax hike comes in and save as much as you can then to see you through the year. No point in even considering the 2nd year now. Who in their right mind would be willing to pay a third of a low minimum wage in tax? I strongly suspect that the government will be forced into a rethink on this proposal once the farmers in particular are unable to find workers and crops start to rot in the fields. Also bars and cafes will start to struggle to find suitable cheap labour.

If I were you I would only aim to work until the tax hike comes in and save as much as you can then to see you through the year. No point in even considering the 2nd year now. Who in their right mind would be willing to pay a third of a low minimum wage in tax? I strongly suspect that the government will be forced into a rethink on this proposal once the farmers in particular are unable to find workers and crops start to rot in the fields. Also bars and cafes will start to struggle to find suitable cheap labour.

Well, economic theory would suggest that if there is a shortage of labour, the wages would have to increase. This in turn would lead to higher prices at the farm gate, and higher retail prices. But it should not lead to crops rotting in the fields.