My travel thread

Quokka2005

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Through you Stacey you are connecting the world.. Brits and Aussies both here and in the UK relating to people in a small WA town. That's pretty neat.
Mother Theresa doesnt have a look in, you will be calling her St. Stacey soon!

I like the sound of that name, can I change my username again.

Omggggggg im so cold. It's 12oc apparently but it feels minus in the house. There's supposed to be a big storm but so far its just been like a normal day I'm Scotland lol

Well since there is a cool change coming through - that restricts your location to the SW of WA. (Which is still an area the size of France).

Yep my trip to the quokkas and then the east coast is the only thing getting me through it lol. My bosses have been really nice though. I've been getting good dinners at nights so I've been eating a bit better.

When I was on my WHV a looooong time ago Stacey I worked in a pub in Beaufort Street, Perth. In those days it was a really rough joint and I didn't like working there for a while but the owner was a lovely Irish/Australian guy and he and his wife were very kind to me so to this day I have good memories of it. After that I worked in a pub up the coast in Kalbarri - that was a good place to work.

Yep my trip to the quokkas and then the east coast is the only thing getting me through it lol. My bosses have been really nice though. I've been getting good dinners at nights so I've been eating a bit better.

It probably doesn't help that you weren't all that keen on going in the first place, makes it hard to settle then with a terrible event occurring just consolidates those initial feelings. The positive is that you're saving money which was your intention.

Always have a smile on my dial Flag...... got enough blokes in my life too.... don't need any more!

I meant away from the relief phone call lines naturally. While I can believe your services are in great demand I was thinking more the old fashioned face to face meeting and see what happens sort of scenario. Quaint aren't I? lol.

I found a shop! Got so excited especially when it had nutella.

That's my first time walking around but the flies kept attacking me so I don't think I'll be doing that often!

Ah the old Aussie salute will come in handy for the flies ;)

I know its not nice but you do sort of get used to them and just keep waving your hand. Don't let them stop you doing stuff.

I found a shop! Got so excited especially when it had nutella.

That's my first time walking around but the flies kept attacking me so I don't think I'll be doing that often!

Just wait until fly season really kicks in. Why not get a ride down to the nearest big centre there?A lot of the cockies likely venture down to do a big shop. You'd likely have a few hours at least to walk around and take in some other views.

Your in the ideal job to learn of folk heading to the 'big smoke'.

So I'm not 100% sure if we are definitely travelling together but the person i probably will go with bought a van today so if I do that's my transport sorted!

I better get cooking lessons. If Anybody has any quick easy recipes for backpackers! I lived off potniodle type things on my last week in Perth lol

Has he bought a van or a camper van??

Do you mean you will have a oven and fridge, or is it just basic.

ive camped loads of times in the UK and Aus, done it in a caravan with the gear, but also with just a tent.

if you don't have an oven or fridge, then its easy done with just a basic butane powered stove which costs about $10 bucks to buy. I'm sure if you need to buy any gear, you can easily sell it on once you've done.

You can buy lots of tinned meals, but they will work out expensive, handy though to have.

pasta is easy to boil, then add to it whatever you have lying around, lots of cheap sauces in jars too.

tins of soup, pick up a fresh loaf from a nearby bakery.

If your in a van with an oven, even better. Potatoes are normally cheap enough, in WA, they've been giving them away. Wrap in tin foil, shove in the oven to cook, a $1 tin of tuna, you've got a snack.

stop off at a supermarket, buy a ready cooked chicken, the options are endless.

eggs, are so easy. Have them poached, fried, scrambled, omelette .

you can eat as cheap or as expensive as you want while travelling, but you can also still eat well.

I haven't been camping in years but we used to buy those small gas cookers and do chicken on one of them and rice on another and then add whatever sauce we wanted. You can make it as basic or fancy as you want. Depends on what facilities you have on board or if you need to use the mini gas things.