My travel thread

Quokka2005

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No. He's just a old.. Better not say it. Just wants to sit and drink whisky and be rude to me. Its not even like I can only see him once or twice a week because he seems to be an alchy

........you can refuse to serve him

........look at your RSA notes

.......inform the pub manger.....

.......and tell him why first

........although ime selected deafness is an asset

........good luck....

Although red necks/ockers what ever the latest jargon they go by are so darn easy to make fun off. I suspect Sydney Gays wouldn't give much thought to their supposed 'opposite' in kind though. Just amazing the Hill Billies in those country pubs would appear to do.

Pub sounds like possibly in KO to me.

The irony is a Sydney gay guy would know exactly how to handle such an ocker mindset. Their potential nemesis over the years in this country.

........you can refuse to serve him

........look at your RSA notes

.......inform the pub manger.....

.......and tell him why first

........although ime selected deafness is an asset

........good luck....

Possible but if he's a regular best to try and manage him yourself. Unless of course too outrageous. I have witnessed a bat staffer 'let go' after complaining about two blokes 'behaviour'. They were regs, she was new, the manger was 'one of the boys' and in his mind she wasn't cut out to be working in a bar. Too 'sensitive'. Now that was outer metropolitan, about four years ago.

Possible but if he's a regular best to try and manage him yourself. Unless of course too outrageous. I have witnessed a bat staffer 'let go' after complaining about two blokes 'behaviour'. They were regs, she was new, the manger was 'one of the boys' and in his mind she wasn't cut out to be working in a bar. Too 'sensitive'. Now that was outer metropolitan, about four years ago.

……….worked in many country pubs over the years flag…..

………and depending on the behaviour….

……..found it best to play deaf…..

………but sometimes constant rudeness needs adressing….

……..found a quiet word……often works…….but that comes with experience….

……..the young should be supported by the pub manager…….ime

No the nice guy isn't a drunk but his comments were old fashioned. Its the rude guy that's a drunk. He made a comment about Scotland tonight but that was it. One of my other favourite guys said he wanted to hit him when he spoke to me like that my first night. I had a feeling he did because he walked out.

Tonight was better - I still made some muck ups but I feel slightly more confident and can chat to people more. They were all taking the piss out of my accent tonight even the Irish guy!! Apparently my word six sounds like sex so you can imagine how that went.

Sounds familiar Stacey...I remember telling one of the tradies that came into the pub looking for accommodation that we only had "hut six" left...with the accent, this apparently roughly translated as "hot sex"...... :chatterbox: took me a while to understand all the giggles and funny looks!

……….worked in many country pubs over the years flag…..

………and depending on the behaviour….

……..found it best to play deaf…..

………but sometimes constant rudeness needs adressing….

……..found a quiet word……often works…….but that comes with experience….

……..the young should be supported by the pub manager…….ime

One would hope so. Hopefully things have changed over the years as seldom enter a country pub these days, besides have never worked in one in Australia, but from what I've witnessed and experienced in the past, I'd have said at the time, pretty much the roughest and most uncouth ever come across.

Obviously I don't mean all, but over a duration I can't say I hold particularly fond memories of a number of country pubs experienced at the time.

No. He's just a old.. Better not say it. Just wants to sit and drink whisky and be rude to me. Its not even like I can only see him once or twice a week because he seems to be an alchy

It used to be called 'breaking in the barmaid' at least in my parts. I recall a 'new' barmaid would be the highlight of the night (week perhaps?) Most the young blokes would want to check her out and some see how far they could go. I'm sure it would be totally unacceptable these days some of the things said, but seemed the 'norm' to those involved.