Nottingham to Townsville on a PR - Family of 5!

jac2011

Sorry folks, its been a long time since I posted!

Life has just been full on since we arrived and I have barely even kept in touch with family back home!

I suppose I should give you all a run down on our journey over here...

Background:

We finally secured our visa after 7 and a half years of planning this July. The whole process almost broke our marriage, turned me into the biggest stress head going and resulted in weeks where I was working 70 hours a week just to pay for the visa. It was a difficult last 9 months but once we set off for our plane everything seemed worth it.

We left Nottingham after a months worth of goodbyes on a rainy, damp morning heading for the National Express coach that would take us to Heathrow Airport. The journey went really good, it was quiet and went quicker than we thought. As we didn't want a last minute panic we booked for the night before and stayed at a Premier Inn on the M4. This was lovely and relaxing too and just what we needed, apart from the fact I got myself locked out nipping to my husbands room at 2am to look for Paracetamol, unable to wake him up and had no shoes on. I had to go and ask reception to let me back in my room where my children were snoring away.

We had our breakfast and then headed to the airport giving ourselves lots of time for a stressful check in. Initially we stopped for some luggage tags before check in but somehow I got the biggest paper cut ever and there was blood everywhere so I had to hunt for a plaster. After the disaster was averted we headed to check in. No queues at all with Etihad and we found out the new A380 we were flying on was pretty much empty and we had a whole cabin almost to ourselves. Check in took a few moments, they weren't too bothered about the weight of the luggage and we went and drank coffee.

The plane to Abu Dhabi was amazing, the service from the crew and the flying nanny service was great and we all arrived in Abu Dhabi feeling very fresh. We stayed in a Premier Inn near the city centre that night to catch up, before spending a few hours exploring Yas Mall. Our flight was around 10pm local time so we headed to the airport (which wasn't great) and we soon realised our luck had run out. We boarded the plane after having to go through an additional security process that appeared unorganised and unplanned and then once on board the air con wouldn't work. After nearly fainting and having to stand with the crew we soon set off around an hour or so later. The plane was full to bursting and the whole plane felt so small (B787).

We arrived in Brisbane and had an effortless journey through customs before heading to our caravan lodge accomodation in Taigum. It was reasonable for the price and had breakfast included but OMG it was freezing (September) and I had to go and find shoes. Add to which when I awoke at 3am wide awake thanks to jetlag there was no where remotely close to get anything to eat! We relaxed for a few days enjoying Brisbane before heading up to Townsville 4 days later. We were a little apprehensive following some of the reports we had read online but upon driving down the Strand to our holiday accomodation on a Tuesday evening at 7pm to see hundreds of families and diners out and about bbq'ing dining we just knew we were going to love it.

I started work the very next day at the local hospital in a job I secured from the UK. They provided 2 weeks holiday accommodation upon arrival on the seafront which was incredible however, we also secured a rental from the UK to move into after 12 days. We bought basic furniture to start with and generally found Super A Mart, K Mart and Fantastic Furniture incredibly well priced. We tried to secure a car loan but were told being so new we would need 20% deposit. However, a few weeks later I bought a brand new Mitsubishi Mirage through salary sacrifice with QLD health for a really good price. It's small and basic but all servicing, tyres, upkeep, petrol etc is included for $204 a fortnight. It's also brand new.

Work has been okay, its hectic and a little bit more behind to what I am used too. However, they really respect and value their employee's and the benefits are incredible. So far I have been there 7 weeks and there hasn't been a week where I have not been on training for around 3 or more of those days. I get $750 each 6 months for personal development, 5 weeks holiday, shift allowances and QLD health pay the best nurse rates in Oz.

Kids are happy. We were told we wouldn't get family tax benefits unless the children are enrolled at school. My eldest is due to start high school in Jan so the decision was more complicated and we kept her out, however my middle son got into the best state school in the area. It's been great so far. My youngest starts in Jan but being below school age we get family tax benefits for him anyhow. We are still waiting for payment and we have been here 7 weeks, allow plenty of time the application process takes a few attempts.

Husband is happier now he has a car to get around, he was a little stressed 4 weeks in with no vehicle but is now loving life. I think he will do great once he is working.

Went to look round newbuilds and we are shocked at the prices. We walked into the showhomes thinking this would be way out of our price limit only to find they were on budget. I did years of research and no matter what view you have of the properties online and on realestate, seeing them n person is even better.

The locals are so friendly its unbelievable. We've met up with some PIO forum members who have been no end of help in settling. We've had offers of cars, furniture, lifts etc!

10/10 the best thing we ever did.

Even the rising humidity isn't dampening our spirit. Its lovely seeing blue skies and 30 degrees each day. Only a few minutes worth of rain in 7 weeks will do for now!

We stopped at Townsville for one night in October whilst driving from Trinity Beach to Airlie Beach. We were pleasantly surprised at the place.

The Strand with Kissing Point boardwalk at the north end, Palmer Street for the restaurants and last but not least the drive up Castle Rock (think that's the name), and the spectacular views from the top.

Mike

@jac2011 I have been eagerly waiting for your arrival report, and what a fantastic one!!!!

It sounds like you have no regrets already which is fab! Just out of curiosity, which area in Townsville will you be aiming to set your roots?, if you have decided yet.

I am so happy for you, and glad you are settling nicely.

Adele x

Pleased to see things have gone so well and had everything crossed for you. I pinch myself every day. This 'Honeymoon period' is great. We stopped a couple of nights in Townsville on our Queensland road trip in September when heading south and did a day trip to Magnetic Island.

We bought a new Mirage too as our 2nd car. Real bargain at $13,500 new on the road with 5 year warranty. Insurance just $327 fully comprehensive too. Who says Australia is expensive eh.

An enjoyable read - thank you.

So far so good eh!

I like Townsville. Particularly like Magnetic Island just off the coast.

Have you had time to do much sight-seeing around the area yet?

Not really only the direct local area. As I work 5 days a week and we have been busy getting furniture etc there has been limited time but I am hoping for some annual leave next month :-)

@jac2011 I have been eagerly waiting for your arrival report, and what a fantastic one!!!!

It sounds like you have no regrets already which is fab! Just out of curiosity, which area in Townsville will you be aiming to set your roots?, if you have decided yet.

I am so happy for you, and glad you are settling nicely.

Adele x

We are in a lovely apartment complex in Idalia to get our boys into Oonoonba state school (free and a fantastic rep which beats the private schools). However, in 17 months from now we are hoping to move into a newbuild and may have to move out of the area to get the lovely 5 bed newbuild we have our sites set on! Looking at North Shore (Burdell) at the moment!

Pleased to see things have gone so well and had everything crossed for you. I pinch myself every day. This 'Honeymoon period' is great. We stopped a couple of nights in Townsville on our Queensland road trip in September when heading south and did a day trip to Magnetic Island.

We bought a new Mirage too as our 2nd car. Real bargain at $13,500 new on the road with 5 year warranty. Insurance just $327 fully comprehensive too. Who says Australia is expensive eh.

We got ours for 12990 through work as Remserve get some discount. For a brand new car, 5 year warranty with paint and interior protection it seems a bargain. $204 a fortnight out my salary with petrol, servicing, etc all included. We just have the one car though so hubby is driving me around till I take my test in the next few months!

So lovely to hear your update and know that thing everything has went very smoothly since your arrival. I have eagerly awaited your update as we are moving to Townsville ourselves in the next 6 months. I work for QHealth in Brisbane and will be transferring onto the relief pool at Townsville hospital as I'm starting a grad diploma in Midwifery next year. Secured a student midwife post at the hospital and I am over the moon!! My friend lives in Bushland Beach and I have been advised Annandale, Douglas, Idalia are good suburbs within close proximity of the hospital? I'd like the option of cycling and using the car less. How are you finding the humidity?

So lovely to hear your update and know that thing everything has went very smoothly since your arrival. I have eagerly awaited your update as we are moving to Townsville ourselves in the next 6 months. I work for QHealth in Brisbane and will be transferring onto the relief pool at Townsville hospital as I'm starting a grad diploma in Midwifery next year. Secured a student midwife post at the hospital and I am over the moon!! My friend lives in Bushland Beach and I have been advised Annandale, Douglas, Idalia are good suburbs within close proximity of the hospital? I'd like the option of cycling and using the car less. How are you finding the humidity?

Bushland Beach we have found is much further out than it looks on the map! We are in Idalia by the river and I cycled to work in 35 minutes which was lovely, the whole way was cycle paths though I did have to dodge the occasional magpie. Douglas is closer but we haven't explored there yet. Annandale has a lovely reputation, is lovely and calming however we are finding a large proportion of the properties are older and we are hoping for something newer. A block of land in the centre of Annandale would be perfect but unlikely. If you have little ones (under 11) Oonoonba is an excellent free state school.

All sounding good, so pleased for you.

we have friends from Keyworth arrived today, they are a bit blown away by it all, here on the Sunshine Coast.

Wow how strange! Keyworth seems a million years ago now. Even the UK seems like a life that never existed. Hope your friends have a lovely time. Tell them Keyworth is lovely but they should settle over here!

Bushland Beach we have found is much further out than it looks on the map! We are in Idalia by the river and I cycled to work in 35 minutes which was lovely, the whole way was cycle paths though I did have to dodge the occasional magpie. Douglas is closer but we haven't explored there yet. Annandale has a lovely reputation, is lovely and calming however we are finding a large proportion of the properties are older and we are hoping for something newer. A block of land in the centre of Annandale would be perfect but unlikely. If you have little ones (under 11) Oonoonba is an excellent free state school.

Our little boy is only 17 months old so we don't have to worry about school/prep for another couple of years yet, just daycare. We're most likely going to get an aupair when we move, as daycare isn't going to work whilst I'm working as a student midwife.

I LOVE the older style homes, the Queenslanders are spectacular when modernised and renovated, but there is an awful lot of maintenance & upkeep with them, so we most likely will go for a newer home. Although I'm veering towards established over new build. How far is Douglas/Idalia/Annandale etc from the strand?

We are in Idalia and it takes between 5-10 minutes to get to the strand.

We thought about established however, having looked at all the options knowing we can have exactly the house we want (ie eldest girls bedroom away from the boys etc) we think the newbuilds are better for us. Plus there is the $15k new home grant to go towards the deposit.

Hi Jac, sorry to keep pestering you, just wondering how you went about organising a rental from the UK?? Did you deal direct with a real estate agent? I'm in TV January for a week of Uni, might try to go round a couple of agencies then to introduce myself. I should be used to this after nearly 6 years in Oz but this relocation is becoming the biggest headache ever. Didn't have a toddler moving from UK to Perth and Perth to Brisbane mind you. :embarrassed: