You're currently viewing the forum as a Guest
register-now-button_orig.png
and join in with discussions   
ask migration questions
message other members

..and much much more!

HappyHeart

Safe Travels and Good Luck Stacey

thats basically what happened to me. First night I had a Indian which was ok. Yesterday I went to maxwells hawker court but it was soooo busy and I couldn't get a seat at all so I had to leave. I ended up at China town and went into a place that looked ok.. I ended up with this plate of chicken that was cold and I noticed blood on a few bits. So I didn't eat that. I ended up with a place of rice. Then me and the American girl went to a hawker place for dinner that her hostel told her about. Most of it was closed so we went with the place that looked half decent. Omg I wouldn't have served rascal this stuff. The chicken was just bits of crap, like bits of fat and really horrible bits. So I ended up with rice and the sauce again. I went to McDonald's yesterday after that blood chicken, just for chips but I didn't eat much of those either. I'm hoping I can find something a bit better today. Would like some chicken satay

Sorry my brain is a bit mush today, but we used to get really good cheap satay in Boat or Clarke quay? can't remember which.

Chinese food is very different in Asia, but we always preferred Malay Chinese if that makes sense.

otherwise bite the bullet and go somewhere decent.

Are there still Coffee Bean and Tealeaf cafes around, they are ok.

Spend a bit of time browsing in Takashimaya a great store on Orchard rd.

Lucky Plaza fun for a browse.

Hope the haze is ok, and you can do some touristy things.

Have fun

Sorry my brain is a bit mush today, but we used to get really good cheap satay in Boat or Clarke quay? can't remember which.

Chinese food is very different in Asia, but we always preferred Malay Chinese if that makes sense.

otherwise bite the bullet and go somewhere decent.

Are there still Coffee Bean and Tealeaf cafes around, they are ok.

Spend a bit of time browsing in Takashimaya a great store on Orchard rd.

Lucky Plaza fun for a browse.

Hope the haze is ok, and you can do some touristy things.

Have fun

Malay Chinese food? First I've heard of that. Or Malaysian Chinese food perhaps which does make since.

thats basically what happened to me. First night I had a Indian which was ok. Yesterday I went to maxwells hawker court but it was soooo busy and I couldn't get a seat at all so I had to leave. I ended up at China town and went into a place that looked ok.. I ended up with this plate of chicken that was cold and I noticed blood on a few bits. So I didn't eat that. I ended up with a place of rice. Then me and the American girl went to a hawker place for dinner that her hostel told her about. Most of it was closed so we went with the place that looked half decent. Omg I wouldn't have served rascal this stuff. The chicken was just bits of crap, like bits of fat and really horrible bits. So I ended up with rice and the sauce again. I went to McDonald's yesterday after that blood chicken, just for chips but I didn't eat much of those either. I'm hoping I can find something a bit better today. Would like some chicken satay

You've probably left by now Stacey but I had some delicious vegetarian meals in Singapore. That chicken sound absolutely revolting :arghh:

Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take but by the moments that take our breath away :smile:

Nah I'm still here. I don't fly till 1.45am. I thought it was earlier! I'm off out to hunt for some food, I can't cope with just having rice again

Nah I'm still here. I don't fly till 1.45am. I thought it was earlier! I'm off out to hunt for some food, I can't cope with just having rice again

Scoff as sausage roll or wrap at the airport :tongue:

Don't worry, you will soon be in the land of oversized portions of everything. And cake slices/portions a family of 4 could share :wideeyed:

You've probably left by now Stacey but I had some delicious vegetarian meals in Singapore. That chicken sound absolutely revolting :arghh:

I agree, id go for a veggie dish if possible

Malay Chinese food? First I've heard of that. Or Malaysian Chinese food perhaps which does make since.

Oh shut up!! I said my brain was mushy,

yes that might make sense. Not "since" if you want to be picked up on something!!!!!!

was rushing trying to help Stacey, before my UK visitors arrived, while still fighting this b awful virus that I've had for weeks.

i'm definitely grumpy.

Edited by ramot

If traditional steamboat hawkers market is not taking your fancy......then three words for you: HARD ROCK CAFE

http://www.hardrock.com/cafes/singapore/menu.aspx

Nice burger and chips. Or steak and mash. Decent British pub grub.

Sounds pretty good to me.

OMFG. These baked beans are lethal..............

Oh shut up!! I said my brain was mushy,

yes that might make sense. Not "since" if you want to be picked up on something!!!!!!

was rushing trying to help Stacey, before my UK visitors arrived, while still fighting this b awful virus that I've had for weeks.

i'm definitely grumpy.

Glad that's cleared up. Be hard to mix the two for obvious reasons. Poor Stacey would be confused looking for the area that would be served in.

I made up a new username.. was tempted to troll you guys first but the name gives it away haha. I'm going to make up a new travel thread so i can put the aus stuff up too

If traditional steamboat hawkers market is not taking your fancy......then three words for you: HARD ROCK CAFE

http://www.hardrock.com/cafes/singapore/menu.aspx

Nice burger and chips. Or steak and mash. Decent British pub grub.

Sounds pretty good to me.

Burger and chips in Singapore? Well I never. One of the great gourmet centres of the East. So much she can sample between Chinese/Malay/Indian food.

Everybody keeps telling me how good the food is in singapore but thats me been to quite a few local places and its honestly been awful. I went to a hawker centre again and I was actually physically sick. I asked for some of the chicken and rice - she grabbed a plate that was all stained in the middle and the plates were actually stacked up on the floor. then she grabbed a bowl thing and shoved it in a plastic bin thing and i thought what the hell is she doing.. that was where the rice was. To be fair the chicken was actually better than the other ones ive had to eat but i only managed a little because i kept thinking about everything i mentioned before. then birds were jumping about plates haha and i was thinking well it doesnt look like they've even been washed.

So if that makes me a snobby traveller then fair enough! Even the american girl i was with last night said hers was really bad, it was just bits of fat and the bad bits of chicken. You're probably right about me eating vegetarian - i would do that if I come back

Burger and chips in Singapore? Well I never. One of the great gourmet centres of the East. So much she can sample between Chinese/Malay/Indian food.

She doesn't like Asian food though

She doesn't like Asian food though

Well its not that I dont like it as such. I'm just really fussy and boring with food and havent found anything that I've enjoyed so far. I really wanted to though. I like satay and i looked everywhere for that but nowhere that I managed to find seemed to have it. The one in the hawker centre today was shut down

Glad that's cleared up. Be hard to mix the two for obvious reasons. Poor Stacey would be confused looking for the area that would be served in.

Laksa, buttermilk chicken, mee, satay all types of Malay Chinese (a known type of cuisine to some of us) when I lived in Borneo for 10 years and visited Singapore regularly, last in Singapore 2 years ago.

Well its not that I dont like it as such. I'm just really fussy and boring with food and havent found anything that I've enjoyed so far. I really wanted to though. I like satay and i looked everywhere for that but nowhere that I managed to find seemed to have it. The one in the hawker centre today was shut down

You can't go wrong with noodles

Everybody keeps telling me how good the food is in singapore but thats me been to quite a few local places and its honestly been awful. I went to a hawker centre again and I was actually physically sick. I asked for some of the chicken and rice - she grabbed a plate that was all stained in the middle and the plates were actually stacked up on the floor. then she grabbed a bowl thing and shoved it in a plastic bin thing and i thought what the hell is she doing.. that was where the rice was. To be fair the chicken was actually better than the other ones ive had to eat but i only managed a little because i kept thinking about everything i mentioned before. then birds were jumping about plates haha and i was thinking well it doesnt look like they've even been washed.

So if that makes me a snobby traveller then fair enough! Even the american girl i was with last night said hers was really bad, it was just bits of fat and the bad bits of chicken. You're probably right about me eating vegetarian - i would do that if I come back

We had some lovely food, particularly in roberston Quay

I just want PIO to be a happy place where people are nice to each other and unicorns poop rainbows

I love Asian food but can imagine it would be hard to find stuff you like in Singapore if you don't..even 'European' food will have an Asian twist

I love Asian food but can imagine it would be hard to find stuff you like in Singapore if you don't..even 'European' food will have an Asian twist

Agree, but we found Mexican, Belgian, Italian, Australian places, there's even an English or Irish pub (can't remember which)

I just want PIO to be a happy place where people are nice to each other and unicorns poop rainbows

Apart from a 2hr stopover in the airport I've never been to Singapore.....however.....surly there must be a macca's somewhere?.....I'm sure there's one at the airport.....might be worth a cab ride to get something you are familiar with to eat.

Apart from a 2hr stopover in the airport I've never been to Singapore.....however.....surly there must be a macca's somewhere?.....I'm sure there's one at the airport.....might be worth a cab ride to get something you are familiar with to eat.

I'll admit I did go for McDonald's chips yesterday after my little chicken with blood incident lol.

Im really like the female version of Karl pilkinton except I'm nowhere near as funny and I'm not getting paid loads to be an idiot abroad :laugh:

Hygiene is sadly lacking in many second world countries Stacy. There are places that try their hardest to keep hygiene standards up but Singapore is I am afraid very unhygienic. You do built up a resistance the longer you live there though. I found madras in India very unhygienic but the food was to die for.

Drinking rum before 11am does not make you an alcoholic, it makes you pirate..

Shame you didn't have a better foodie experience in Singapore. Good luck with your trip, hopefully it gets better food wise :)

People keep telling you how good the food is because the food is great. It's a shame you found a bad one, the bad ones don't tend to last very long.

Loving life in Gods Country. Woohoo, look at me. 

Hygiene is sadly lacking in many second world countries Stacy. There are places that try their hardest to keep hygiene standards up but Singapore is I am afraid very unhygienic. You do built up a resistance the longer you live there though. I found madras in India very unhygienic but the food was to die for.

Well in our experience of all our trips to Singapore we most definitely have not found it unhygienic at all. We both got Bali belly on our trip there but never had any problems in Singapore.

Loving life in Gods Country. Woohoo, look at me.