Marisawright

Non-alcoholic alternatives to wine

No research has excluded all those. I wish it were true...otherwise I would not have lived 11 years longer (so far) than my husband who died of liver failure due to alcohol.

of course if you drink massive amounts of alcohol you will damage your body. these independent studies do factor in the things you are talking about. It has been proved that drinkers live longer than non drinkers study after study....read links below if you want.

http://www.independent.co.uk/life-style/health-and-families/health-news/people-who-drink-alcohol-outlive-those-who-abstain-study-shows-8995879.html

Research published in the journal Alcoholism: Clinical and Experimental Research found those who did not consume any alcohol appeared to have a higher mortality rate, regardless of whether they were former heavy drinkers or not, than those who drank heavily.

http://www.psmag.com/health-and-behavior/truth-wont-admit-drinking-healthy-87891

Given the multitude of studies of the effects of alcohol on mortality (since heart disease is the leading killer of men and women, drinking reduces overall mortality significantly), meta-analyses combining the results of the best-designed such studies can be generated. In 2006, the Archives of Internal Medicine, an American Medical Association journal, published an analysis based on 34 well-designed prospective studies—that is, research which follows subjects for years, even decades. This meta-analysis, incorporating a million subjects, found that “1 to 2 drinks per day for women and 2 to 4 drinks per day for men are inversely associated with total mortality.”

Drinking rum before 11am does not make you an alcoholic, it makes you pirate..

I think research does conclusively advocate moderate drinking as having health benefits. Trouble is what constitutes moderate in research papers does not equate to moderate in reality. Eg 1 unit a day. 1 small glass of wine. 2-3 days of no alcohol. We don't do real 'moderate' drinking. Most people will sink at least 2-3 larger glasses

Alcohol limits have no scientific background, even the ones who introduced them said they were just guesses. We believe independant studies and governments give them to the public, no way can governments tell you the truth on this one....they cannot tell you drinking is actually good for you so they just do not comment.

Good idea.

Another vote for Elderflower. Sainsburys have a brand called Belvoir. Which I think is the same one I buy in Thomas Dux in Australia.

Otherwise what about Norfolk Punch? I use to drink it both hot and cold in the UK.

[h=1][/h]

OMFG. These baked beans are lethal..............

Alcohol limits have no scientific background, even the ones who introduced them said they were just guesses. We believe independant studies and governments give them to the public, no way can governments tell you the truth on this one....they cannot tell you drinking is actually good for you so they just do not comment.

But they can..and do..tell you it's good for you? Lots of good research out there. The limits will be conservative hence most people drink more than the recommended amounts. Common sense tells you too much is bad news. People that listen to their body know that too much is bad news. It's not rocket science. Most people either drink too much or are teetotal in my experience] anyway. Everything in moderation is my rule. Plenty of AFDs and a healthy diet. 80/20 rule is good for diet advice and red wine in moderation...sadly I prefer white but hey it's all grape...can't be too bad.

I think research does conclusively advocate moderate drinking as having health benefits. Trouble is what constitutes moderate in research papers does not equate to moderate in reality. Eg 1 unit a day. 1 small glass of wine. 2-3 days of no alcohol. We don't do real 'moderate' drinking. Most people will sink at least 2-3 larger glasses

You're right - a bottle of wine is about 9 units in the UK, we would drink half to two-thirds of a bottle at dinner.

What does annoy me about the research is that the most recent recommendations take into account ALL causes of death from alcohol, not just health effects. That's where the recent rule about "no safe level" comes from - they now include death from car accidents, workplace accidents etc. while under the influence. That's crazy IMO, and just gives people the excuse to dismiss the warning.

Edited by Marisawright

Scot by birth, emigrated 1985 | Aussie husband applied UK spouse visa Jan 2015, granted March 2015, moved to UK May 2015 | Returned to Oz June 2016

"The stranger who comes home does not make himself at home but makes home itself strange." -- Rainer Maria Rilke

Good idea.

Another vote for Elderflower. Sainsburys have a brand called Belvoir. Which I think is the same one I buy in Thomas Dux in Australia.

Otherwise what about Norfolk Punch? I use to drink it both hot and cold in the UK.

Thanks. Never heard of Norfolk Punch - must track it down.

Scot by birth, emigrated 1985 | Aussie husband applied UK spouse visa Jan 2015, granted March 2015, moved to UK May 2015 | Returned to Oz June 2016

"The stranger who comes home does not make himself at home but makes home itself strange." -- Rainer Maria Rilke

Never heard of Norfolk Punch - must track it down.

Use to be very popular in the 1980's.

http://www.norfolkpunch.com/

Really nice cold over fruit and ice (like a Pimms)

But especially nice heated up on a cold winters night.

Edited by jumpingjellybean

Ive been dry for over 9 months now , going from 2 bottles of red and a couple of beers a night to nothing . I tried non alcoholic red wine , it was awful , Holsten do a very good zero % alcohol and Coles as well as Dan Murphy do Coopers 0.05 % that is good too ....problem now is that i have a sugar craving every night , im having ice cream , cornetto's ,chocolate ect never used to have this lot but now its every night , have a freezer full of boysenberry cones ....Coles or Woolies own they are lovely .......:tongue:

Voted Best Newcomer 2010 by PIO Members.......Thank you....x

Good on ya tonyman, hope you are feeling better mate.

Good on ya tonyman, hope you are feeling better mate.

Thanks pal ......:hug:

Voted Best Newcomer 2010 by PIO Members.......Thank you....x

Make up your own punch.

Tropical juice

Dry Ginger Ale

Lemonade (or soda water)

Mint sprig

Start with equal proportions then,

Keep playing until you get a mix you like.

Thanks all for the suggestions. The main issue is finding a subsitute for red wine. I'm noticing all the suggestions (and all the "adult" type drinks in the supermarkets) are fizzy. Wine is not fizzy, so fizzy drinks don't work for me. Elderflower cordial with tap water (not fizz!) works OK instead of white wine,, but red wine has me stumped.

Thanks all for the suggestions. The main issue is finding a subsitute for red wine. I'm noticing all the suggestions (and all the "adult" type drinks in the supermarkets) are fizzy. Wine is not fizzy, so fizzy drinks don't work for me. Elderflower cordial with tap water (not fizz!) works OK instead of white wine,, but red wine has me stumped.

Have you tried unsweetened red grape juice as a substitute for red wine?

Guest Guest66881

Boil a bottle of red wine, burn the alcohol off :wink:

Have you tried unsweetened red grape juice as a substitute for red wine?

Yes, it's still pretty sweet though.

Just drink wine...there's really no substitute! That's not much help is it? I'm sipping on tonic water and wishing it were Thursday....

Just drink wine...there's really no substitute! That's not much help is it? I'm sipping on tonic water and wishing it were Thursday....

Yes that's the conclusion we're coming to! We've had a whole "dry" week now - it's good to discover neither of us is hankering for a drink or having any withdrawal symptoms: it's just that we're not enjoying our food as much without a nice glass of wine.

I'm thinking the solution might be to do what my MIL used to do - get used to drinking wine mixed with still water. I just read an article by a wine critic who said that diluted real wine still tastes a lot better than the de-alcoholised stuff.

Yes that's the conclusion we're coming to! We've had a whole "dry" week now - it's good to discover neither of us is hankering for a drink or having any withdrawal symptoms: it's just that we're not enjoying our food as much without a nice glass of wine.

I'm thinking the solution might be to do what my MIL used to do - get used to drinking wine mixed with still water. I just read an article by a wine critic who said that diluted real wine still tastes a lot better than the de-alcoholised stuff.

I have white wine spritzer sometimes but only to make it go further. I prefer it unadulterated. I know what you mean though..it's the taste....

I have white wine spritzer sometimes but only to make it go further. I prefer it unadulterated. I know what you mean though..it's the taste....

Yes, it really is the taste, isn't it? I was worried we were using that as an excuse, and the truth was that we were hooked on the stuff, but it seems it really was the taste all along. If I don't have a drink with dinner then I don't spend the rest of the evening hankering for a drink, it's only during the meal that I feel deprived!

The problem is we were enjoying the taste too much, and we were nearly finishing a bottle at every meal between the two of us - that's too much.

Edited by Marisawright

I reckon it is the taste because I can take or leave other types of alcohol...I just love wine, has to be white too, red doesn't do it for me though I can appreciate a glass with a meal.

I reckon it is the taste because I can take or leave other types of alcohol...I just love wine, has to be white too, red doesn't do it for me though I can appreciate a glass with a meal.

Wine is lush...red is my fav.

but red wine has me stumped.

If you don't like fizzy, then this looks EXACTLY like red wine, but is alcohol-free:

http://www.arielvineyards.com/wines.html

Or what about blackcurrant, elderberry, blackberry or cranberry juice. As in fresh home-made juice and not the stuff you buy bottled. You just need a decent juicing machine.