Marisawright

Non-alcoholic alternatives to wine

We decided to go sober for a month to give our livers a chance to recover (in preparation for the festive season?).

After a few days without wine, I find I'm not hankering for alcohol, or missing its after-effects - what I do miss is the taste. I feel like food is missing a dimension without it. Water is too bland, and sugary drinks are too sweet. We've tried non-alcoholic wine from Sainsbury's but it's pretty blah.

Any suggestions?

Scot by birth, emigrated 1985 | Aussie husband applied UK spouse visa Jan 2015, granted March 2015, moved to UK May 2015 | Returned to Oz June 2016

"The stranger who comes home does not make himself at home but makes home itself strange." -- Rainer Maria Rilke

We used to be partial to a bit of Schloer but it might be a bit sweet. It's usually in a section in the supermarket with other 'grown up' soft drinks that might be worth trying. I usually drink orange juice with a meal during the week (started when my iron levels were really low as it's good for iron absorption), which again might be sweet but maybe grapefruit juice or something. Or perhaps something like elderflower cordial. My mum drinks it with fizzy water.

Any fool can criticize, condemn, and complain but it takes character and self control to be understanding and forgiving.

Dale Carnegie – 1888-1955, Author and Lecturer

Lemon, Lime and Bitters

Dry non alcoholic cider

Why do you need to drink alcohol with your meal at all ?

I want it all, and I want it now.

I don't "need" to drink wine with all meals - but for instance, we had steak tonight and the flavours would've been enhanced with a nice glass of red. Pizza is another one that I feel doesn't taste as good without wine.

If wine didn't enhance the taste of food for me, I probably wouldn't bother drinking it - I never drink enough to get drunk.

It's personal taste, obviously - I guess it's not unlike, say, someone who's used to having vinegar sprinkled on their chips - they think chips don't taste as good without the vinegar.

Scot by birth, emigrated 1985 | Aussie husband applied UK spouse visa Jan 2015, granted March 2015, moved to UK May 2015 | Returned to Oz June 2016

"The stranger who comes home does not make himself at home but makes home itself strange." -- Rainer Maria Rilke

Okay. I know in Australia there are drinks like Appletise which is the sort of thing.

Just ask in the bottle shop and I'm sure they will have a selection.

I want it all, and I want it now.

Because it enhances your enjoyment of the meal.

Drinking rum before 11am does not make you an alcoholic, it makes you pirate..

Okay. I know in Australia there are drinks like Appletise which is the sort of thing.

Too sweet.

When I was pregnant and not drinking alcohol I had elderflower cordial mixed with sparkling water. The ready made stuff was too sweet, but you can make as weak or strong as you like if you do it yourself. I also make my own lemon, lime and bitters if I don't want to drink wine. It's not that same (you're right, a glass of red with a steak is definitely better!), but it's not a bad alternative.

No, all alcohol free drinks are shitte.....drinkers live longer that non drinkers...fact.

http://content.time.com/time/magazine/article/0,9171,2017200,00.html

Research flawed by the fact that people with significant heath problems - who don't drink because of that very fact - and whose mortality is shorter anyway, were not excluded.

For research to be accurate it would have to exclude both that group of people and also ex drinkers whose livers are already pickled.

Research flawed by the fact that people with significant heath problems - who don't drink because of that very fact - and whose mortality is shorter anyway, were not excluded.

For research to be accurate it would have to exclude both that group of people and also ex drinkers whose livers are already pickled.

Read the numerous reports it does exclude all these factors and time after time the results of numerous independent studies have shown drinkers live longer than non drinkers.

Drinking rum before 11am does not make you an alcoholic, it makes you pirate..

Tonic water with a slice of lemon. Cranberry juice mixed with sparkling mineral water and ice.

Read the numerous reports it does exclude all these factors and time after time the results of numerous independent studies have shown drinkers live longer than non drinkers.

No research has excluded all those. I wish it were true...otherwise I would not have lived 11 years longer (so far) than my husband who died of liver failure due to alcohol.

I think research does conclusively advocate moderate drinking as having health benefits. Trouble is what constitutes moderate in research papers does not equate to moderate in reality. Eg 1 unit a day. 1 small glass of wine. 2-3 days of no alcohol. We don't do real 'moderate' drinking. Most people will sink at least 2-3 larger glasses

Tonic water with a slice of lemon. Cranberry juice mixed with sparkling mineral water and ice.

Yes and bitter lemon with a slice of lemon.

Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take but by the moments that take our breath away :smile:

Focusing on just one thing is pretty pointless though.

There are many things which claim to help you live longer. If we take them all will we live forever?

There are many factors of modern living which will have just as detrimental an effect on our lives than any benefit claimed by just one thing. Everything in moderation.

Anyway, back to the OP. I stopped drinking alcohol at the time of my last cancer diagnosis. I didn't bother specifically looking for a substitute, but I seem to have filled the void with flavoured milk, milkshakes and coffee. All in moderation of course. If we're out for a meal, I have coffee now, with my meal, where I used to have a beer. It wouldn't suit everyone though.

From Kilmarnock, now in Melbourne :-)

Lemon, Lime and Bitters

Dry non alcoholic cider

Soda lime and bitters is better - the lemonade in it is too sweet but soda makes it a refreshing drink without the sweetness. The brown lime you can get here is perfect as well - have tried it overseas with the old green lime squash and that is just not the same. It's my go-to drink of choice when I'm out. Otherwise you can't beat a glass of cold water - maybe with a slice of lemon in it if you're being fancy. SA is such a dry state, when we get back from holidays it's always the first thing I notice - the need for a glass/bottle of water!

I prefer to drink water with my meals now

That is 100% alcohol free

....I Actually Live In Australia....And I'm Enjoying Life On The Gold Coast....It Is Possible You Know....

With either sparkling or still water in a jug, you can add some sliced lemon, cucumber and celery. The flavour is wonderful and it's all natural :-)

OH NO I find myself, at least in part agreeing with PB. Nothing goes with a good steak better than a good full-bodied red wine as far as I am concerned. If I couldn't have the wine I may have to forgo the steak. And I am not a big drinker btw.

Timeline: 309/100 Sent 7/8/13, Money Taken 9/8/13, CO appointed 3/9/13. Med 3/12/13. Police check 4/12/13. VISA GRANTED 8/4/14, Subclass100. Recce August 2014. Arrived 30 July 2015.

Guest Guest66881

Ribena is nice with ice and tonic water:wink:

We decided to go sober for a month to give our livers a chance to recover (in preparation for the festive season?).

After a few days without wine, I find I'm not hankering for alcohol, or missing its after-effects - what I do miss is the taste. I feel like food is missing a dimension without it. Water is too bland, and sugary drinks are too sweet. We've tried non-alcoholic wine from Sainsbury's but it's pretty blah.

Any suggestions?

I feel guilty now having not just burnt the candle at both ends, but from the middle outwards too. I managed six "AFDs" in October. Friday night I went to a restaurant, drank water and Diet Coke, but then agreed to walk a female friend to the station instead of going straight home - passed my flat on the way - and coming back from Central, passed "my" pub, stopped to talk to the bouncer, and was unable to resist going in, this at 1am too. Last night it was even later, 1.30 when I went out and 2am before I had a beer, but in that heady RWC/EPL/Halloween atmosphere, I succombed to temptation again.

I have no suggestions for non-alcoholic alternatives because it's the alcohol which makes it taste good, just as when I smoked, "low tar" fags were a waste of time too. Water is best as everything else becomes boring.