Queensland Must Do's?

HappyHeart

Just re-igniting this thread as looking again at what and where to book.

Flight prices into Brisbane seem to have risen since before Christmas:eek:

Can anyone recommend any hotels in central Brisbane ideally located to see best of the City and surrounds for a few days?

Then specific places (hotels or apartments) on Sunshine coast

Then specific places in Cairns and surrounds

Many Thanks in advance

HH

my son and family,2 boys, stayed at

Beachcomber on the Spit Mooloolaba

They had a ground floor 2 bed apt. good size patio, gate onto path straight to the beach, heated pool.

It was a quick short walk to the surf club, main beach or the sheltered beach at the spit, and Underwater World.

Can't fault it and they would stay there again.

There are are plenty of apartment blocks, but not many with beach access.

If you are coming from memory in the school holidays, places book up fast.

Alexander Headland has plenty of holiday Apts. as well and not too much further down the road from Mooloolaba.

Hope this helps.

• Replies 137
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

HH

my son and family,2 boys, stayed at

Beachcomber on the Spit Mooloolaba

They had a ground floor 2 bed apt. good size patio, gate onto path straight to the beach, heated pool.

It was a quick short walk to the surf club, main beach or the sheltered beach at the spit, and Underwater World.

Can't fault it and they would stay there again.

There are are plenty of apartment blocks, but not many with beach access.

If you are coming from memory in the school holidays, places book up fast.

Alexander Headland has plenty of holiday Apts. as well and not too much further down the road from Mooloolaba.

Hope this helps.

Yes, school hols....do you really think I should book asap, I'm not one for booking in advance but I see the point, we usually wait till a few months prior. (because I change my mind so often)

With the busy factor in mind and given we don't like 'very busy' are there any places guaranteed to be rammed or will everywhere be busy? I mean busy in Margaret River (peak season) is acceptable to us will it be any worse?

Yes, school hols....do you really think I should book asap, I'm not one for booking in advance but I see the point, we usually wait till a few months prior. (because I change my mind so often)

With the busy factor in mind and given we don't like 'very busy' are there any places guaranteed to be rammed or will everywhere be busy? I mean busy in Margaret River (peak season) is acceptable to us will it be any worse?

What's nice about the beachcomber is that it's off the main beach front, as it's on the road to the spit rather than on the main beach front road.

I only know that places get booked up because we had a bit of trouble booking for a special birthday in sept.when we wanted 3 flats together.

Although it gets busy, it's not manic in sept. because different states stagger their 2 week break.

Sometimes you can book, but pay and confirm nearer the time? Might be worth a try?

There is plenty to do in the area, so I hope you enjoy the coast if you come.

might be picking your brain about the Margaret River, as we might head that way this year. xM

Noosa's population more than doubles in the school holidays! Personally I would not go anywhere near the Gold Coast or Sunshine Coast in the summer holidays, I don't like crowded beaches either and it's too much for me. It's a very personal thing and some people would just find it "lively"!

In one post you said you were forgetting about Brisbane and the South, and were going to spend your holiday Up North. I still think that was the best idea.

Edited by Marisawright

Noosa's population more than doubles in the school holidays. Personally I would not go anywhere near the Gold Coast or Sunshine Coast in the summer holidays, I don't like crowded beaches either and it's too much for me.

In one post you said you were forgetting about Brisbane and the South, and were going to spend your holiday Up North. I still think that was the best idea.

Yep, still the plan:)

I said we would avoid Brisbane and Gold Coast and concentrate on cairns and surrounds and Sunshine Coast highlights. Isn't SC North of Brissie?

choosing to fly to Brisbane as cheapest option and more choice of times. Only 1 direct to cairns from perth at night with Jetstar. Figure 1 night in Brisbane see city etc, then drive to Sunshine Coast for a week then back to Brisbane to fly to Cairns for 10 days then direct home from cairns as times better on way back.

Edited by HappyHeart

I said we would avoid Brisbane and Gold Coast and concentrate on cairns and surrounds and Sunshine Coast highlights. Isn't SC North of Brissie?

Yes, but how are you going to get from the Sunshine Coast to Cairns? They're about 1,500 km apart which is 18 hours on Google maps - and in summer that would be hot sticky driving too. Brisbane to Cairns is almost twice as far as Sydney to Brisbane!

The Sunshine Coast isn't that bad in the September school holidays, yes it's busy but not like the main 2 weeks of the Christmas holiday, which is busy over those 2 weeks, but will now ease off as many go back to work today, I do know because I live here. The main Mooloolaba beach was busy yesterday, but it was no problem going for a walk along the front, and cafes full but not over full. You only have to walk on a bit further to the spit where it's less popular or known, or go to the park on the other side of the river, to see families using the free bbqs, plenty of space for everyone and just having fun.

Brisbane airport is 1 hr from Mooloolaba.

After being here 4 years we went to straddie and was the best thing in 4 years! $260 for 3 nights in a cabin for 4 people and $60 each way on the barge. So we paid $100 each adult for 3 night stay. Dolphins come and play on the jetty every night, beautiful beaches and little cafes. Was just 4 days of total bliss!