Queensland Must Do's?

HappyHeart

But why Brisbane, when most of your suggested sites are on the Sunshine Coast?

Most of the flights would be to Brisbane and they would be cheaper I imagine...wherever you were ending up in SEQ. I also would spend time in Brisbane to break up all the beaches and may be a good central place depending on choice of activities. Also, she would be unlikely to do all those things I have listed on the Sunny Coast, they are alternatives more than a list.

The Gold Coast hinterland is lovely - I used to have friends there and holidayed there every year for many years - but it is very similar to the hinterland on the Sunshine Coast.

It doesn't feel that similar to me. I prefer much of the Gold Coast and northern NSW Gondwana world heritage listed national parks over the sunny coast hinterland but I know everyone has different opinions.

While Stradbroke Island is beautiful - again, it's white sands and sun and tropical beauty, which you also get in spades (and better) on the islands of Cairns. Don't confuse the poor woman!

She'll cope ;) There are many combinations that may work and what she fits in one area will dictate what she does in the others I think. I spent a week in Cairns and surrounds and never went near a tropical island (apart from the reef itself) as much lovely stuff on land so may depend on cost/itinerary etc.

Edited by fish.01

• Replies 137
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest The Pom Queen
It's not realistic to see the Whitsundays from either Noosa or Cairns - but the thing is, from Cairns you can go out to the islands there, which are the same but with no crowds! So I wouldn't fret too much that you're missing out.

I know the Gold Coast and Brisbanites are indignant at the suggestion, but IMO unless I had another week, I wouldn't visit that area at all - leave it for another visit. Nothing against those areas - but if someone was coming to Western Australia for a week, would you recommend them to choose Perth if it meant missing out on, say, Monkey Mia or the Margaret River? It's a question of prioritising which sights are most worth seeing.

It is if you don't mind the drive. I often visit my dear friend @Bobj and travelled from Cairns to Airlie in a day a few times.

I have done Daydream, Green and Fitzroy Island and I have to say I hate Green Island because of the crowds. If you are staying overnight then the last tour boat leaves at 4 so you do get the place to yourself, then it's lovely, but if it's just a day I would say Fitzroy, Daydream and then Green.

Guest The Pom Queen
Can't fly direct to Cairns can I @The Pom Queen? What's best route from Perth?

Yes you can with Jetstar, example price for this month (no specials at the moment) is $199 here or $189 back so under $400 return.

Guest The Pom Queen
So...Sunny Coast base...where? Whats best place?

Noosa, I will try and remember where me and Nat stayed as it was right on the main street, one block from the Ocean and backed on to the river, parking available, however, be warned school holidays was packed.

Guest The Pom Queen
Now you've thrown a spanner in the works Fish!! Goldcoast Hinterland too??? OMG too many choices...and it looks awesome

No one can compete with Fish's photos

Guest The Pom Queen

Yes for us the flights to Brisbane were cheaper than Sunshine Coast plus more choice in airlines. In fact @HappyHeart you could fly in to Brisbane, spend 3 days on Gold Coast (it took me 45 minutes to drive from airport) then drive up to Sunshine Coast then fly on to Cairns. Seriously we have travelled all over and still not seen everything. In fact I spoke to a lady when I was driving back last time, she was a single mum homeschooling her son and she had just spent the last 12 months doing Queensland and she said there was so much more she hadn't seen and could spend 3 years and still struggle.

My offering to you, @Happy Heart

2 days Brissie

2 days Mackay

3 days Whitsundays and

2days Cairns.

If you fly to Mackay, I will pick you up at the airport, take you to this resort, 'where the rainforest meets the sea'. @The Pom Queen has stayed there

http://www.capehillsboroughresort.com.au/

Take you for a trip around my district then take you to Airlie, or shute Harbour and throw you out at your choice of motel and you can get a 'plane from Proserpine to Cairns...

But don't let anyone else know 'cos they might want to be in on the deal...

Cheers, Bobj.

Love this thread, as if I needed reminding why I live here.

Fish your photos are stunning, if I was clever enough I would post some.

We have visitors arriving on Thursday so will be proudly showing off our corner of Qld to them.

Yes HH we will be going to the zoo, just checking it out for you.

Love this thread, as if I needed reminding why I live here.

Fish your photos are stunning, if I was clever enough I would post some.

We have visitors arriving on Thursday so will be proudly showing off our corner of Qld to them.

Yes HH we will be going to the zoo, just checking it out for you.

Totally agree

So much to see and not enough time

Make it over 2 holidays

Plan one for now and the other in a few years

No one can compete with Fish's photos

Thanks pq but I don't want to take credit for other people's work...source of photo underneath each one. My favourite photos that I actually took are photos I took in FNQ...though pretty hard to take a bad photo there :)

i did did some of that FNQ itinenary you posted but next time I'm going to use your list to do more....such a great place and one of our all time favourite holidays.

Edited by fish.01

Guest The Pom Queen

2 days Brissie

2 days Mackay

3 days Whitsundays and

2days Cairns.

If you fly to Mackay, I will pick you up at the airport, take you to this resort, 'where the rainforest meets the sea'. @The Pom Queen has stayed there

Take you for a trip around my district then take you to Airlie, or shute Harbour and throw you out at your choice of motel and you can get a 'plane from Proserpine to Cairns...

Cheers, Bobj.

Sounds a great offer, I may take you up on that myself :tongue:

2 days Brissie

2 days Mackay

3 days Whitsundays and

2days Cairns.

Cheers, Bobj.

Thank you Bob, that's a very kind offer and one I may take up. We continue the planning stage......

Coolum Beach is gorgeous if you're looking for somewhere to stay. we lived in Mount Coolum for 12 months, love Coolum. About 20 mins from Noosa. Plenty there but not as busy as some places on the coast.

Edited by smudge

When you get up north, don't fail to visit Herberton Historic Village. You can spend a full day just browsing this fully restored township. Every store needed within a bush town complete with original items, even a photography shop with thousands of vintage cameras and likewise an electrical store with old radios/record players etc and the local newspaper offices complete with 100yr old printing press

The pub

dayout_56_zps521e3088.jpg

Tool shop

dayout_61_zps0cc5479d.jpg

Dentists

dayout_58_zps90c42ea9.jpg

Bank

dayout_60_zps4ec075e9.jpg

Stable

dayout_63_zps10108685.jpg

"rescued" vehicles

dayout_67_zpsa96bbf7c.jpg

dayout_80_zpsec007092.jpg

Sex shop :-)

dayout_87_zps1f81a02c.jpg

Chemists

dayout_88_zps1d7a7844.jpg

Accomodation

dayout_91_zps7f9361a4.jpg

dayout_55_zps2e0a23e4.jpg

Cafe

dayout_94_zpsf0f1aaa9.jpg

If I could only go to one place in Qld it would be Whithaven Beach in the Whitsundays.

The sand is so fine it feels like you are walking on salt rather than sand. The water is crystal clear and a beautiful turquoise colour. It is my favourite place in the world and pics don't begin to capture its beauty.

image.jpg

image.jpg

You can get there by catermaran but we like to fly on the seaplane. If you can afford the seaplane you will see the most spectacular views you are ever likely to see.

I love the hinterland and rainforests etc in the Cairns area but the beaches aren't that great in comparison to the rest of Australia in my opinion. If you go to Cairns make sure you drive up to Port Douglas. It's smaller but much nicer IMO.

image.jpg

image.jpg

Is it me or is there heaps more in QLD than Perth? Yes I know WA is more spread out also. I like the look of Southbank area in Brisbane.

QLD is less one city focused that WA. More decentralised in other words. Still a huge state, but I'd agree more places to visit and more to do. Perth's Elisabeth Quay is or will be our answer to Brisbane's Southbank. Let's see how they compare.

We have nothing on the scale to match Gold Coast or Surfers. What would be WA's equivalent? Mandurah? Hardly a comparison when you think about it. The Kimberley versus FNQ ? Hard call. More diversity in FNQ I'd suggest.

Beaches no match for South West of WA of course but the geography is my favourite in Australia.

Edited by flag of convenience

QLD is less one city focused that WA. More decentralised in other words. Still a huge state, but I'd agree more places to visit and more to do. Perth's Elisabeth Quay is or will be our answer to Brisbane's Southbank. Let's see how they compare.

We have nothing on the scale to match Gold Coast or Surfers. What would be WA's equivalent? Mandurah? Hardly a comparison when you think about it. The Kimberley versus FNQ ? Hard call. More diversity in FNQ I'd suggest.

Beaches no match for South West of WA of course but the geography is my favourite in Australia.

I think Elizabeth Quay will be more similar to Queens Wharf rather than Southbank. Southbank has decades on both of them and many more drawcards. Maybe in 20 years Eliabeth Quay will start to look more Southbank like.

Edited by fish.01