Queensland Must Do's?

HappyHeart

• Replies 137
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You can get a pass for Seaworld/Wet N wild and Movie world if you want to load up on theme parks.

I would stay at the goldie as you can get some great accommodation with sea views at very reasonable price.

If you want to go to a theme park, there are some on the Sunshine Coast so no need to go all the way to the Gold Coast just for that:

http://www.brisbanekids.com.au/top-10-theme-parks-on-the-sunshine-coast/

They're not as spectacular as, say, Seaworld - but it depends how old your son is, whether that would be an issue.

The Gold Coast is south of Brisbane, the Sunshine Coast is north of the city.

Brisbane is a city, very similar to Perth.

This is the Gold Coast:

Gold-Coast.jpg

The next photo is Noosa (Sunshine Coast) - you can see there's still lots of apartments but all low-rise:

Noosa-Heads-000791-Original.jpg

This is Airlie Beach, which is the place where all the ferries go to the fabulous Whitsunday Islands:

airlie-beach-apartments (6).jpg

http://www.tourismwhitsundays.com.au/destinations/whitsunday-islands/

Noosa-Heads-000791-Original.jpg

airlie-beach-apartments (6).jpg

Gold-Coast.jpg

Edited by Marisawright

Also the kids will be pretty disappointed with Aussie World theme park in sunshine coast compared to the gold coast ones.

Noosa is a great destination but if the kids want theme parks a base at the Gold Coast would be better.

The Sunshine Coast doesn't have theme parks in the accepted sense, much smaller and to be honest adequate for younger children but no way comparable. Our son worlked at Aussi World while a student and was concerned about thei safety of their rides, that was a few years ago.

Takes about 2 2/12 hours from SC to Sea World etc.. We enjoyed The outback Experience Spectacular is good night out.

Underwater World in Mooloolaba is a nice venue, our UK grandchildren loved it age 7&5.

Thoroughly recommend Australia Zoo, a great zoo.

Mooloolaba is very popular. Noosa nice for a visit and if you are lucky you might see a koala in the National Park, we are lucky most times.

Would stay in the Whitsundays rather than Airlie Beach, it's a bit full of back,packers. You can fly direct to Hamilton Island, we transferred to Daydream Island and really enjoyed it, snorkeld from the beach plus day trip,to reef from there, open air cinema at night, would only need a few days as a small island, but check out Long Island as well.

The nuisance is that I don't think you can fly onto Cairns from there, might have to back track to Brisbane if you want to do both?

Cairns is ok, if you go up to Karunda then it's an idea to take the train up,,get off half way for a stroll, and get the sky rail down.

We went on a crocodile cruise on the Daintree river and the on the Daintree experience a tree top walk, enjoyed both.

We loved the Atherton Tableland and saw duck billed platypus.

Depends on your son's age? as to where to go, Brisbane has museums, a trip on the city cat up and down the river is cheap and fun, Southbank swimming area is good.

Plenty to think about, but book early for Sept. School holidays, it gets very booked up here on the Sunshine Coast as it's very popular.

Extra thought, Tangalooma is good for a visit, you can feed the Dolphins if you stay overnight, it's just a short boat ride from Brisbane and plenty of activities.

Edited by ramot

With so much to do, and not a huge amount of time, I would concentrate on Sunshine Coast upwards. I have absolutely nothing against the Gold Coast, but the area is pretty built up (of course there are beautiful areas) but if I was going on my hols, would be working northwards from Brisbane. You can do Brisbane itself in a day if you focus on the 'must see' areas. Again, there is plenty to do there if you want to stay longer, but if you are limited for time and more into the scenery I wouldn't devote too much of your holiday to Brisbane itself.

Is it about 2 hours between Gold Coast and Sunshine Coast? So in theory we could base in Brisbane and drive South for a day to GC and then North to SC? Maybe stay in Brisbane for 3 days then move North and base in SC for another 3 then move further?

Or...forget the theme park, base in SC and drive south to Brisbane for one day

Edited by HappyHeart

Honestly it were me and I had only 10 days to holiday in Queensland say around September/October I would probably choose to base myself in Cairns. Take a trip out to snorkel or scuba, take the train or cable car to Kurunda (and return by the opposite mode of transport). Spend a couple of days in the Atherton Tablelands (beautiful) and a couple of days up at Port Douglas, take a trip up to Cape Tribulation perhaps.

You could make a whole other holiday basing yourself in Brisbane and some points in between; I could make a case for that too but my first personal choice for a holiday at that time of year would be Cairns.

Guest The Pom Queen

My thoughts would be, Gold Coast and do the theme parks, oreillys, Noosa I love Noosa sitting on the beach at sunset watching the Dolphins.

Airlie Beach/Whitsundays

then it would have to be Cairns but I know you have been there and I can't remember what you saw last time?

My thoughts would be, Gold Coast and do the theme parks, oreillys, Noosa I love Noosa sitting on the beach at sunset watching the Dolphins.

Airlie Beach/Whitsundays

then it would have to be Cairns but I know you have been there and I can't remember what you saw last time?

Never been to Cairns. It is the place that first sparked my interest in Australia though as Cairns base hospital sent out recruiting teams to the hospital I worked in at the time around 2005. I applied but backed out at interview stage

Edited by HappyHeart

I don't know the southern part of QLD (very limited interest) but I'd agree with Gbye Grey Sky on this occasion and go FNQ. Check out the Atherton region and north to Port Douglas and even beyond. Only other area of Australia outside of WA and perhaps Melbourne that I'd remotely consider living.

Check out some of the beaches out of Cairns. Trinity Beach etc. Will be interested to read your impression of the state.

Never been to Cairns. It is the place that first sparked my interest in Australia though as Cairns base hospital sent out recruiting teams to the hospital I worked in at the time around 2005. I applied but backed out at interview stage

I knew two nurses when lived in Cairns, one a Brit and other South African. Both had differing views as to the standard of that hospital. Lucky you though, if you did decide to move with your OZ experience since obtained, shouldn't prove an impossible feat transferring. I had a very difficult time getting anything half decent in that city which was in the end why I left.

Stayed at Trinity beach Quite close to Cairns, not much there though, different for us because we caught up with friends and had our car with us. Palm Cove seems more popular, a bigger place, plenty of accomodation and a favourite place where our friends with children stay, as you have your son with you. I assume you will have a car, so Cairns etc. all very accessible to arrange a reef trip.

We just drove out for the day from Trinity Beach, when we went to Port Douglas, and Daintree plus river cruise to see the crocodiles,

Not sure your son would find the Atherton Table lands much fun, we loved it but are oldies.

Guest The Pom Queen

In that case then forget everywhere else and head for Cairns. Whilst up there visit.

Cape Tribulation

Palm Cove

Port Douglas

Sky rail and the train back down.

Hartleys Crocodile Farm

Green Island or better still Fitzroy Island try and stay overnight as all the tourists go and you near enough get the island to yourself.

Spend a couple of days on the tablelands maybe even stay at Canopys Treehouse http://www.canopytreehouses.com.au/mobile/

Whilst up there try and go to Paronella Park http://www.paronellapark.com.au Herberton Historic Village, Milla Milla Falls, Lake Barrine, Cathedral Tree, Fig Tree, Lava tubes (may be too far but worth an overnight stay) Lake Tinaroo

In that case then forget everywhere else and head for Cairns. Whilst up there visit.

Cape Tribulation

Palm Cove

Port Douglas

Sky rail and the train back down.

Hartleys Crocodile Farm

Green Island or better still Fitzroy Island try and stay overnight as all the tourists go and you near enough get the island to yourself.

Spend a couple of days on the tablelands maybe even stay at Canopys Treehouse http://www.canopytreehouses.com.au/mobile/

Whilst up there try and go to Paronella Park http://www.paronellapark.com.au Herberton Historic Village, Milla Milla Falls, Lake Barrine, Cathedral Tree, Fig Tree, Lava tubes (may be too far but worth an overnight stay) Lake Tinaroo

have done almost all of those plus the Mamu canopy walkway on the way to Paronella Park, what an interesting place.

Stayed in the railway carriages at the lava tubes.

We took 3 weeks to drive back to the Sunshine Coast from Cairns, your list has bought back all those good memories.

HH might need longer than 10 days!

I want to see Sunshine Coast. Want to see Noosa, Glasshouse Mountains and Australia Zoo. Whitsundays and Surrounds. Maybe it's best to do a 2 stage hol. Base in Sunny coast for week then head to Cairns for the rest

May be too ambitious in a 10 day holiday. Suggest 3 weeks. We had 5 weeks but missed out the Sunny coast altogether on our drive north as we had been to Noosa for a holiday 7 years ago and visited Australia Zoo on our recce trip last year. We can also get to the Sunny Coast now at weekends if we want.

Fraser Island is a must see in my view if you are basing yourself in the sunshine coast (school holidays best avoided though if possible) and you can still whale watch from Hervey Bay that time of year also. Hervey Bay not that long a drive from the Sunny Coast too whereas the Whitsundays would be at least a days driving from Noosa I think.

May be too ambitious in a 10 day holiday. Suggest 3 weeks. We had 5 weeks but missed out the Sunny coast altogether on our drive north as we had been to Noosa for a holiday 7 years ago and visited Australia Zoo on our recce trip last year. We can also get to the Sunny Coast now at weekends if we want.

Fraser Island is a must see in my view if you are basing yourself in the sunshine coast (school holidays best avoided though if possible) and you can still whale watch from Hervey Bay that time of year also. Hervey Bay not that long a drive from the Sunny Coast too whereas the Whitsundays would be at least a days driving from Noosa I think.

I'm doing that thing people do when they come to Perth....thinking they can spend a day in Geraldton or Margaret River from a Perth base, underestimating the distances. Ok will rethink what and where. How many regions could we realistically do if we stretched it to 2 weeks (has to be school hols)