Queensland Must Do's?

HappyHeart

Having no knowledge of QLD really and thinking of planning a trip, where are the places to go and things to see? If you base yourself on Gold Coast is there still a variety of places/landscapes within driving distance? Is it worth flying anywhere (like FNQ) when in Brisbane...or are there batter bases than Brisbane? Any ideas?

• Replies 137
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Depends very much on what you like doing.

Places we have been and think are fab:

Fraser Island - amazing place and I think is a must

Sunshine coast - beautiful beaches.

Noosa - smart coastal town, lovely beach

Glasshouse mountains - fantastic scenery

Montville and Maleny - attractive towns for little shops and pottering around in beautiful surroundings

Australia zoo - expensive but well worth the money

D'Aguilar National Park - mountains, lookouts, fab walks

Haven't got further north yet, so interested to hear other recommendations.

Depends very much on what you like doing.

Places we have been and think are fab:

Fraser Island - amazing place and I think is a must

Sunshine coast - beautiful beaches.

Noosa - smart coastal town, lovely beach

Glasshouse mountains - fantastic scenery

Montville and Maleny - attractive towns for little shops and pottering around in beautiful surroundings

Australia zoo - expensive but well worth the money

D'Aguilar National Park - mountains, lookouts, fab walks

Haven't got further north yet, so interested to hear other recommendations.

Thanks Peachy that's a good start, we like walking and views, natural landscapes, not really into cities or busy but like smaller towns with small galleries and nice little shops and eateries, nothing too flash. Like mountains, so Glasshouse mountains was already on radar, like beaches and coastal areas. The Zoo sounds good too.

Brissy, gold and sunny coast would all be great bases, spent several years of my time in aussie in that area and it's awesome!

Best view of the glasshouse mountains is abit of a secret haha, it's not actually sign posted as a scenic lookout or anything but is the most awesome spot.

glass.jpg

glass.jpg

I would visit O'Reillys (accesed via Canungra) rather than Mount Tamborine, great views, good food, reasonable cost and a variety of walking trails. On saying that the Glow Worm caves at Tamborine are great to kill a couple of hours ,especially on a wet day.

I would check the city and South Bank, preferably by parking somewhere like Bulimba and having a river ferry ride in. Maybe even stay the night in a hotel and book a trip to Tangalooma for Sand boarding, scenery and feeding the dolphins.

I'd catch a flight from Gold Coast or Brisbane to somewhere like Airlie Beach, have a day there checking out and doing the harbour walk then a day boat trip to the barrier reef.

Australia Zoo is great, not like any Zoo i have ever seen before and compared to the zoo;s i have visited i thought it was good value for money, even the food.

Cal x

The "must see" of Queensland is the Great Barrier Reef, obviously. Also the Whitsunday Islands - a lot of the smaller island resorts are a bit run down these days although their surroundings are lovely, so I quite like Hamilton Island even though it's more developed and less "Robinson Crusoe" - you can take day excursions from there to the other islands.

Brisbane and the Gold Coast are nice places to live and there are certainly plenty of things to amuse yourself there, but nothing to make your jaw drop - so why would you spend most of your time there, with only a day trip to the most amazing place in the world? I'd be flying straight to Airlie Beach and planning to spend most of your holiday up there instead.

The "must see" of Queensland is the Great Barrier Reef, obviously. Also the Whitsunday Islands - a lot of the smaller island resorts are a bit run down these days although their surroundings are lovely, so I quite like Hamilton Island even though it's more developed and less "Robinson Crusoe" - you can take day excursions from there to the other islands.

Brisbane and the Gold Coast are nice places to live and there are certainly plenty of things to amuse yourself there, but nothing to make your jaw drop - so why would you spend most of your time there, with only a day trip to the most amazing place in the world? I'd be flying straight to Airlie Beach and planning to spend most of your holiday up there instead.

Nothing wrong with them and loads to do here for sure

Nothing wrong with them and loads to do here for sure

Yes, not saying there's anything wrong with Brissie or the Gold Coast. My best friend used to live on Mt Tamborine so I was there often and it's lovely. However the OP did ask about "must sees" in Queensland. If I only had a week in Queensland, I'd spend the whole time up on the Whitsundays/Barrier Reef because it's such a unique area, nowhere else in the world quite like it.

Edited by Marisawright

I think the Sunshine Coast is quieter and less populated than Gold Coast and the Gold Coast has more 'touristy' things to offer, if you want it... There's no denying the theme parks are a hit if your holidaying with kids and a look around Surfers Paradise etc.. The advantage i feel the GC has is you can be in the peace and quiet of a rain forest or mountain walk and less than an hour later be right in the middle of the hustle and bustle of places like Surfers or the theme parks.

On saying that if we want a relaxing beach break for a weekend we tend to head SC way now a days as the beaches etc don't get as packed.

Cal x

So FNQ....is Airlie Beach a good base? Can I fly there from Brisbane. Is Sunshine Coast better than Gold Coast? What's the difference?

The Gold Coast is virtually one big city, even though the towns have individual names. Lots of skyscraper flats and theme parks. The hinterland is lovely, but otherwise it's too built up for me. The Sunshine Coast is much less built up, Noosa is gorgeous, not too big with a nice beach and lots of waterside restaurants.

Edited by Marisawright

I think the Sunshine Coast is quieter and less populated than Gold Coast and the Gold Coast has more 'touristy' things to offer, if you want it... There's no denying the theme parks are a hit if your holidaying with kids and a look around Surfers Paradise etc.. The advantage i feel the GC has is you can be in the peace and quiet of a rain forest or mountain walk and less than an hour later be right in the middle of the hustle and bustle of places like Surfers or the theme parks.

On saying that if we want a relaxing beach break for a weekend we tend to head SC way now a days as the beaches etc don't get as packed.

Cal x

SC sounds heavenly and more us but would like to take son to theme park just for the experience, how far between the 2?

The Gold Coast is virtually one big city, even though the towns have individual names. Lots of skyscraper flats and theme parks. The hinterland is lovely, but otherwise it's too built up for me. The Sunshine Coast is much less built up, Noosa is gorgeous, not too big with a nice beach and lots of waterside restaurants.

It sounds delightful (SC) but will probably need to do one theme park, there are lots? Which is best?

I would stay at Seaworld on the Gold Coast - free entry into Seaworld when you stay there. Great place. Then I would fly up to Cairns and head up to Port Douglas - just one hour up the road. Paradise! Sounds like you would love it - gorgeous little town with great eating places and stunning views. It is also the closest place to get out on the reef from. I used to spend every Christmas and New Year up there at one time - one of my favourite places in the world!