Who's leaving Australia in 2016

paul1977

We are heading back end of 2016! (Once lease ends)

We gave it a shot, no regrets, no bitterness! Australia has taught us a valuable lesson of appreciation! We came here for something different, and got it, but we can not afford it! We will return to the UK broadened and un-afraid, after setting up life on the other side of the world everything else seems a breeze! Going to make the best of a bad situation and enjoy what's left of our time down under!

• Replies 186
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi everyone as an over 60's who is waiting to go to Oz (143 applied April 2015) I am curious as to why most people want to leave is it to be with family and friends, European culture or financial??? We want to go as our daughters and little grandchild are

there and we have no close relatives left in the UK. I know I will miss the historic buildings in Europe, friends, etc and it doesn't make much sense financially but we miss our family in Oz so much. A little more sun would be good too but don't think I will like the hotter

days. We hope to live in central coast NSW so any tips would be appreciated, looks like it could be another year before we get visas though as immi have such a backlog.

Good luck to all of you returning to UK

The best advice I can give you is do not sell your home and your car! If you can rent your home and leave your car with someone after declaring it SORN.Also if you can put some of your belongings in storage or rent your home as furnished.This will give you a chance to try out Oz before making a huge commitment.

Tickets booked for July, almost sold all of belongings we're not taking inc cars...guess it's on! We've taken a bot of a diversion before landing in the UK and will be living in Poland 1st: half the living costs plus I can jump on a plane direct to Bristol for interviews for $100 aud return!

Tickets booked for July, almost sold all of belongings we're not taking inc cars...guess it's on! We've taken a bot of a diversion before landing in the UK and will be living in Poland 1st: half the living costs plus I can jump on a plane direct to Bristol for interviews for $100 aud return!

That's a good plan.

Hi Chilli boy, thank you for the advice, not so easy for us to do though as no close relatives left in uk to keep an eye on things and there could be financial problems if we were still uk citizens like pension etc. not to mention storage costs.

I wish everyone the best of luck that are coming back to the uk and thank you for replying.

May i ask why everyone on this thread is leaving? looking at moving over is ita bad move??

The only person who can decide that is you! When I migrated 30 years ago, Australia was the place to find "a better life", with cheap housing, great career opportunities and good pay. Today unemployment is actually higher than the UK. Australians work longer hours and have shorter holidays than most Brits in an equivalent job. House prices are high.

That's why so many end up returning - because life in Australia is not necessarily better any more, just different. Finding a job in Oz is more challenging now and once you've got one, life in Australia is pretty much the same treadmill as in the UK, except for what you do with your leisure time. If you're an outdoor/beach kind of person then you'll love your weekends so much it will be worth putting up with a likely drop in salary and distance from family, but only you can judge whether the trade-off is worth it.

Edited by Marisawright

May i ask why everyone on this thread is leaving? looking at moving over is ita bad move??

This is a thread just for those leaving,in a section of the forum aimed at those moving back hence most posting are returning home for one reason or another. Check out the arriving in 2016 thread or threads like this one - http://www.pomsinoz.com/forum/news-chat-dilemmas/193833-positive-emigrating-australia-true-life-stories.html to read about those who have successfully move and settled here.

Lots of luck with everything

Cal x

The only person who can decide that is you! When I migrated 30 years ago, Australia was the place to find "a better life", with cheap housing, great career opportunities and good pay. Today unemployment is actually higher than the UK. Australians work longer hours and have shorter holidays than most Brits in an equivalent job. House prices are high.

That's why so many end up returning - because life in Australia is not necessarily better any more, just different. Finding a job in Oz is more challenging now and once you've got one, life in Australia is pretty much the same treadmill as in the UK, except for what you do with your leisure time. If you're an outdoor/beach kind of person then you'll love your weekends so much it will be worth putting up with a likely drop in salary and distance from family, but only you can judge whether the trade-off is worth it.

a lot of what you say depends on where you moved from & where you moved to. you lived in sydney i think & that is nothing like where i live. so much depends on where you pick to settle.

a lot of what you say depends on where you moved from & where you moved to. you lived in sydney i think & that is nothing like where i live. so much depends on where you pick to settle.

You are right, different parts of Australia are very different - but the statements I made are accurate for the whole country, I think. That doesn't mean no one should migrate - for some people, the move will still be worth it. However the scales are evenly balanced now - you can have just as good a life in either Australia or the UK, so you need to have a strong reason for wanting to be in Australia to make all the hassle of migration worthwhile.

Just to be clear, personally I do prefer living in Australia.

Hi bristolman, I could have worded my message better, I just wondered why so many of you were leaving Oz to come back to uk.

Lots of reasons really. Some do it for family, some for homesickness, some for jobs. For us it wasn't really any of those things, Australia has become a pretty expensive place to live and just didn't give us what we wanted. The UK is a wonderful place to live and it's not as if going to Australia magically gives you a better life or more money or more family time.

Spot on, the Australia of today is VERY different to the one we knew 20 or even 10 years ago.

Spot on, the Australia of today is VERY different to the one we knew 20 or even 10 years ago.

For those planning to return to the UK this year, they should also realise that things have changed in the UK as well, but I will leave it to them to decide if the move back has been worthwhile. Hopefully 2016 will be a good year for them.

Almost 13 years in Qld and can't wait to go back in August, just have to deal with leaving my 19 year old behind. I keep getting told the grass isn't always greener but I'm more than happy to find out for myself. Finding this thread kind of makes me feel better that I'm not the only one!

This is a good thread to celebrate all things British that returnees are looking forward to and have missed,this is not disrespectful to Oz or down on it but a feel good thing for those going home.For me I am looking forward to: normal not excessive weather,seasons,country pubs,Sunday roasts,watching British sport both live and on the tv,the bbc with its local news,local and national radio,good comedy,the nhs!,corner shops,cold pies and pasties,cheaper cars,faster internet,easy access to Europe,nil venomous things,nice grass on lawns,different types of housing from Edwardian,Victorian,terraced,semi detached etc,etc,real ale,snuggling under a heavy duvet,wearing thick coats,bobble hats and gloves and Christmas and Christmas markets! There will be a lot of things in the uk I dislike but these are some of the things I will look forward to.

This is a good thread to celebrate all things British that returnees are looking forward to and have missed,this is not disrespectful to Oz or down on it but a feel good thing for those going home.

Well said - It's a "feel good" thread.

There is plenty to feel good about when about coming home to Britain (unless you are going to be living somewhere grotty of course).

After nearly 13yrs in Brisbane we are looking to head back in August to sunny Wirral. Never really felt at home here, met loads of acquaintances and very few real dependable friends. That said we've enjoyed it immensely did all the beach experiences brought both kids up here and gave them good childhoods but the pull of seeing family more often in their twilight years is too much to pass up. We'll be trading a 5 bedroomed house up up a 3 bedroomed semi so we'll end up selling belongings at a fraction of there price but thats life I suppose. If you value materialistic belongings more tham human friendships then you will probably die comfortably well off and lonely.

Anyway good luck to all who stay and those who return we all have our own lives and as long as your happy that is the most important thing.

After nearly 13yrs in Brisbane we are looking to head back in August to sunny Wirral. Never really felt at home here, met loads of acquaintances and very few real dependable friends. That said we've enjoyed it immensely did all the beach experiences brought both kids up here and gave them good childhoods but the pull of seeing family more often in their twilight years is too much to pass up. We'll be trading a 5 bedroomed house up up a 3 bedroomed semi so we'll end up selling belongings at a fraction of there price but thats life I suppose. If you value materialistic belongings more tham human friendships then you will probably die comfortably well off and lonely.

Anyway good luck to all who stay and those who return we all have our own lives and as long as your happy that is the most important thing.

Best of luck, but why did you have to go and spoil an otherwise nice post?

I find it strange when people have said a drop in wages when coming over to oz, my wife has earned far more here as a chemo nurse than she would have in the uk, and i certainly have working in construction , financially i have achieved more here in 5 years than i have in 10 in the uk.

For me its about giving security to my family so they can get on and i feel i am in the best place to do this in oz, I have gone from working 6/7 days a week to 5 with working a extra day as a bonus not a necesitity to get by.

At the end of the day you only answer to yourself some it works out grand, others it doesnt ,better to have given it a go than to have regrets in life wishing you had done it.

what ever your choice I wish you all the best.