Who's leaving Australia in 2016

paul1977

Would sell my soul to devil to move back to UK. However have spent the last 7 years here looking out for sick family, one after the other and at the same time been reduced to doing a part time McJob with the attendant workplace bullying and less than a living wage. Both my wife's and my jobs have been replaced with either offshoring or in the wife's situation with rotating Indian contractors who are technically employed in India but work in Aus??? don't ask me how! After 2 visits back over the last few years we both know where we would rather live (and I was born in Oz) and find the Uk a far more interesting place to live for many reasons, lots of different types of people, proximity to EU, wider selection of food and that magic place called 'The Pub' which does not exist in Australia,, yes there are places to drink alcohol but something akin to a public toilet or supermarket with a bar in it selling overpriced watered down lager does not constitute being called a pub, and as for atmosphere, well apart from not having any, they have a negative atmosphere. (and no I/we don't drink much in the UK but nothing at all here) and we have never been able to replace the proper friends we had in the UK and seem to live on the periphery of life. One day it will happen, probably retirment.

Oh goodness, you should have seen the front bars of pubs in Australia 50 years ago. With all the green tiles around they really did look like public loos, however over the years they've changed a lot, and now look quite respectable. Many British pubs are now noisy places with over-sized TVs blaring away, and when one suddenly came on close to me shattering my eardrums, I was told I could take my drink and meal to a small cupboard-like room with nobody else in it. Instead I quickly ate up and scampered out! Life changes over the years. As for leaving Australia in 2016, I would love to return in 2016!

• Replies 186
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Oh goodness, you should have seen the front bars of pubs in Australia 50 years ago. With all the green tiles around they really did look like public loos, however over the years they've changed a lot, and now look quite respectable. Many British pubs are now noisy places with over-sized TVs blaring away, and when one suddenly came on close to me shattering my eardrums, I was told I could take my drink and meal to a small cupboard-like room with nobody else in it. Instead I quickly ate up and scampered out! Life changes over the years. As for leaving Australia in 2016, I would love to return in 2016!

In fairness most pubs aren't like that here. The pub life was a small but still important part of the reasons for us coming to the UK and we haven't been at all surprised. We used to hate the bars in Australia and rarely bothered going as they were just places to drink full of slot machines and no atmosphere.

Yes the 6 O'clock swill when the pubs were hosed out after everyone was tossed out drunk and sick at 6pm. The only women in pubs was barmaids and prostitutes. We came back to Oz as kids at the end of this era and remember sitting outside in the car while the 'important' men were inside drinking and talking grown up stuff and a shandy for mum and lemonade for the kids was sent out to the car. (the one drink had to last all afternoon)

High culture and refinement was the order of the day. And yes many UK town centre pubs are like you say and not worth the effort.

Guest Guest109139
I will just disagree on a couple of points, when we arrived we got a credit card after a few months just with normal CC interest rates, we didn't need to go for one of the high interest cards.

Also you don't always have to pay 6 months rent up front, when we thought we would have to rent for awhile we would have been able to rent with just a couple of months rent.

I agree, we didn't have to pay 6 months up front either, although we did offer it. Just paid the normal deposit and 1 month as everybody else. The estate agents were very accommodating, they knew our situation and didn't ask for any references, didn't charge us for credit searches (as there would be nothing), we were just very honest.

We were away from the UK for six years and moved back in July this year.

Guest Guest109139
No it doesn't. Three years is plenty of time for things to change! I tried several banks and also researched online, because I wanted to take advantage of some of the special deals the banks were offering. No dice - all we can get is a basic no-frills account. The banks have changed a lot of rules in recent times. Most of it is not due to economics but due to security and paranoia about money laundering, terrorism etc. The bank staff who served me were very apologetic, but the banks' attitude now is that there is so much fraud around now, they have to be ultra-careful - and that means no credit rating, no credit, and you'll face extra checks if you're a "foreigner". Barclays have even started closing the accounts of existing customers who go to live overseas.

As for the 6 months upfront - we looked at a lot of places in both Bournemouth and Southampton and every single agent told us we'd have to pay 6 months rent upfront since we had no credit rating. Bear in mind that we are not working - it may well have been different if one of us had been able to prove employment- another reason why I say it's easier to move while you're still working.

I agree with you on the banks, we could only open a very basic bank account, we weren't even allowed to have joint accounts, but can apply in 6 months.

I don't know about credit cards, as I wouldn't touch one with a bargepole, but have managed to get a few store cards to build up credit history, however I have no intention to use them.

Renting was easier than opening a bank account, but I think we were very lucky with our letting agent, they were accommodating and didn't ask for 6 months upfront. I did have a job to come to though, so that probably helped.

Edited by Guest109139

Would sell my soul to devil to move back to UK. However have spent the last 7 years here looking out for sick family, one after the other and at the same time been reduced to doing a part time McJob with the attendant workplace bullying and less than a living wage. Both my wife's and my jobs have been replaced with either offshoring or in the wife's situation with rotating Indian contractors who are technically employed in India but work in Aus??? don't ask me how! After 2 visits back over the last few years we both know where we would rather live (and I was born in Oz) and find the Uk a far more interesting place to live for many reasons, lots of different types of people, proximity to EU, wider selection of food and that magic place called 'The Pub' which does not exist in Australia,, yes there are places to drink alcohol but something akin to a public toilet or supermarket with a bar in it selling overpriced watered down lager does not constitute being called a pub, and as for atmosphere, well apart from not having any, they have a negative atmosphere. (and no I/we don't drink much in the UK but nothing at all here) and we have never been able to replace the proper friends we had in the UK and seem to live on the periphery of life. One day it will happen, probably retirment.

You get the same in the UK I'm afraid. Have done for the last 20 years. But I gather it's a new phenomenon in oz. Job for life fixing outsourced code.

Sounds like you need a plan to return, even if it has to be in the long rather than short term! Life is short. 'Periphery of life' is a good phrase - describes my situation also, although things are comfortable for us, small things (like two close friends mailing me recently from the UK saying how much they're looking forward to catching up and making plans for shared activity) remind me of how much I miss the warmth and easy company of people who care about me. I've done 10 years of small talk - enough for a lifetime - all very pleasant sometimes, but hard for an introvert who doesn't care much for superficial relationships (my fault I know). As for pubs, I'm not even much of a drinker (a couple of half pints of local bitter and that's my lot) but the gentle company of others, the papers, random games of darts and the brilliant food in our local pubs (in a great county town) is hard to beat. Never found a pub in Oz that came close, but to be fair plenty of nasty bars can be found in the UK.

I agree with you on the banks, we could only open a very basic bank account, we weren't even allowed to have joint accounts, but can apply in 6 months.

I don't know about credit cards, as I wouldn't touch one with a bargepole, but have managed to get a few store cards to build up credit history, however I have no intention to use them.

Renting was easier than opening a bank account, but I think we were very lucky with our letting agent, they were accommodating and didn't ask for 6 months upfront. I did have a job to come to though, so that probably helped.

Won't let you open a joint account? It seems like a fairly basic thing to do to me. I don't doubt they have prevented you from opening one as I have heard some strange things about UK banks but I find it bizarre they would have a problem with something that basic. Did they say why?

We've not had any real trouble with Bank setup, The ID requirements however are stringent and I believe far exceed what is required in Oz, so NI , Passport, DVL and proof of address are required along with some proof of income (employment contract etc), had to wait 3-4 months to get my wife (she's aussie) a bank card and to convert account to joint as her EU passport went missing....lolCurrently avoiding any form of finance like the plague, was given 2 CC's when I setup the bank accounts, hardly use them at all. only to generate a credit transaction history for future use.There is merit in presenting yourselves physically at the bank and organising a 20-30 minute session with the bank official to set it all up, the process is a little onerous but makes the bank a lot happier and you get it done and dusted.6 Months seems harsh for upfront rent, we were asked for 1.5 times as a deposit which I believe is the norm ?

Edited by deryans

We've not had any real trouble with Bank setup, The ID requirements however are stringent and I believe far exceed what is required in Oz. There is merit in presenting yourselves physically at the bank and organising a 20-30 minute session with the bank official to set it all up, the process is a little onerous but makes the bank a lot happier and you get it done and dusted.6 Months seems harsh for upfront rent, we were asked for 1.5 times as a deposit which I believe is the norm ?

We weren't asked to pay any extra as a deposit. It is possible it varies in different parts of the UK - we were looking in Bournemouth/Southampton and they all said the same thing. It may make a difference that you had a job so could offer proof of income.

As for the banks - we did present ourselves physically at more than one bank, after discovering the difficulties of getting set up. Made no difference. In each case the bank officials were very apologetic, and said that any decisions on allowing new accounts were effectively out of their hands. They explained they now had a separate security team at head office who vetted every new application and would not allow any kind of exemption from the rules. The rules were so strict that they'd had new accounts rejected and closed down because of a single typo in one of the documents used for ID.

The biggest problem for us was proof of address. You must have it, and it has to be a physical bill from a utility or the council. Naturally being in holiday accommodation we weren't going to get any of those! So we had to wait till we had a permanent address, then wait to get our first bills. Unfortunately Eon made a typo in my husband's name, so when we took it to the bank, it got rejected. We had to ask Eon to re-issue the bill in the correct name (you can imagine what fun that was). Then the council used a slightly different address (it's a new development and there's a bit of confusion what the right address should be) - so that got rejected because the address on both ID documents have to match exactly. Then we noticed one bill didn't have full names, just initials - again, not acceptable. It took us weeks to get it all sorted out!

We weren't asked to pay any extra as a deposit. It is possible it varies in different parts of the UK - we were looking in Bournemouth/Southampton and they all said the same thing. It may make a difference that you had a job so could offer proof of income.

As for the banks - we did present ourselves physically at more than one bank, after discovering the difficulties of getting set up. Made no difference. In each case the bank officials were very apologetic, and said that any decisions on allowing new accounts were effectively out of their hands. They explained they now had a separate security team at head office who vetted every new application and would not allow any kind of exemption from the rules. The rules were so strict that they'd had new accounts rejected and closed down because of a single typo in one of the documents used for ID.

The biggest problem for us was proof of address. You must have it, and it has to be a physical bill from a utility or the council. Naturally being in holiday accommodation we weren't going to get any of those! So we had to wait till we had a permanent address, then wait to get our first bills. Unfortunately Eon made a typo in my husband's name, so when we took it to the bank, it got rejected. We had to ask Eon to re-issue the bill in the correct name (you can imagine what fun that was). Then the council used a slightly different address (it's a new development and there's a bit of confusion what the right address should be) - so that got rejected because the address on both ID documents have to match exactly. Then we noticed one bill didn't have full names, just initials - again, not acceptable. It took us weeks to get it all sorted out!

oh how annoying by Eon, I found now of the ways for proof of address was registering with the electoral roll, then drivers licence at post office, then official correspondence (i.e. Gov, or Job Contract) failing but I think the royal mail don't do that anymore...

oh how annoying by Eon, I found now of the ways for proof of address was registering with the electoral roll, then drivers licence at post office, then official correspondence (i.e. Gov, or Job Contract) failing but I think the royal mail don't do that anymore...

We don't have UK drivers' licences so that wasn't an option. We did register with the electoral roll but that took longer than getting the bills.

My 7 year sentence is up tomorrow and I am deciding whether to leave or not. Workplace bullying and harassment have made my mind up to leave my company. I just need to decide whether to try and find a progressive and supportive company here (not many jobs here in my field) or cut my loses, sell the house, possibly at a loss and go back to Bristol.

Bloody hell ,you thinking of leaving ...you were always in the " never go back to the u.k " camp

not got a date set in stone just yet but heading back UK Summer next year which will hopefully tie in with my citizenship which I can start the application for in a couple of weeks.

Been here exactly 6 years, got here with a backpack on my shoulders and had some cracking times. i'd never put Australia down or the UK for that matter as theres plusses and negatives for both and both feel like home now. I just feel the adventure has come to a slow halt now and would like change of scenery from the craziness of sydneys eastern suburbs.

got a decent circle of mates here, mainly expats but many have also left, which is par for the course here I guess. I'm just not sure whether I will tell many people before I leave. I don't want to burn bridges, but I cant be dealing with people blabbing on about how great Australia is and wondering why I'm leaving, ive seen it before with others and its painful!

good luck to all trying to weigh it up.

Yep on my way in April with wife and dog

Good luck with the move back. Hope the doglet goes ok too. Is it an Aussie dog moving or did you bring it with you when you moved over?

:mask: Come on people. Lets not drag this thread down or into an off topic debate about this weeks argument of the moment.

The thread was about who was planning to move back to the UK in 2016. And lo, some people are doing this. It'd be nice to try to keep this thread somewhere close to its original topic.

Edited by Guest
typo

:mask: Come on people. Lets not drag this thread down or into an off topic debate about this weeks argument of the moment.

The thread was about who was planning to move back to the UK in 2016. And lo, some people are doing this. It'd be nice to try to keep this thread somewhere close to its original topic.

sorry

not got a date set in stone just yet but heading back UK Summer next year which will hopefully tie in with my citizenship which I can start the application for in a couple of weeks.

Been here exactly 6 years, got here with a backpack on my shoulders and had some cracking times. i'd never put Australia down or the UK for that matter as theres plusses and negatives for both and both feel like home now. I just feel the adventure has come to a slow halt now and would like change of scenery from the craziness of sydneys eastern suburbs.

got a decent circle of mates here, mainly expats but many have also left, which is par for the course here I guess. I'm just not sure whether I will tell many people before I leave. I don't want to burn bridges, but I cant be dealing with people blabbing on about how great Australia is and wondering why I'm leaving, ive seen it before with others and its painful!

good luck to all trying to weigh it up.

I can understand not telling many people.

In all honesty, your close friends will probably already know or you'll tell in time but for others, I don't see its such a big deal to not say much.

I think its good to move when you feel you need to. Sometimes a change is good, shakes you out of your comfort zone a bit and can help you realise a few things. You sound like you've enjoyed Aus and are going back to the UK with no regrets. And who knows, you'll maybe stay there a while or a lot longer, or maybe move somewhere else or back to Aus even. If you did, might be worth trying somewhere else in Aus for a change rather than trying to go back to somewhere you left once before. Going back when others have moved on can be tough and the place doesn't feel the same.

Whatever happens, enjoy your time left in Aus and hope all goes well for the move back :)

Yes I apologise for my part of the derailing :)

Lets not have it derail again eh :)

After all, you've all got a whole section of the forum to go argue the toss about everything and anything with no one to mod you ;)

Now, back to topic. Nice to hear from those planning to move back.

I can understand not telling many people.

In all honesty, your close friends will probably already know or you'll tell in time but for others, I don't see its such a big deal to not say much.

I think its good to move when you feel you need to. Sometimes a change is good, shakes you out of your comfort zone a bit and can help you realise a few things. You sound like you've enjoyed Aus and are going back to the UK with no regrets. And who knows, you'll maybe stay there a while or a lot longer, or maybe move somewhere else or back to Aus even. If you did, might be worth trying somewhere else in Aus for a change rather than trying to go back to somewhere you left once before. Going back when others have moved on can be tough and the place doesn't feel the same.

Whatever happens, enjoy your time left in Aus and hope all goes well for the move back :)

Thanks snifter. Yeah had a mate had back to Liverpool a couple weeks ago, known him the entire time ive been here. offered to organise a leaving do, he just wanted a few beers in the city and to sneak out the back door with no fuss.

ive always enjoyed my time here as ive never seen it as permanent, always viewed it as an adventure, even in the really crap times, of which there have been a few! that way, ive always appreciated stuff - the sand in between my toes, a swim down bondi to clear up the hangover, best coffee in the world and sometimes getting the ferry to meetings (the ferry past the opera house into CQ never ceases to amaze me) and even the slightly disappointing yellowy tinge to the opera house close-up.

i know ill miss loads of things when i leave, but i also know im very lucky to have had my time here and also that you cant have everything - which is what a lot of posters on here actually think!

safe. will.

We have just accepted an offer on our house...so if all goes well with the survey etc we will be heading back late January 2016. We have decided to give the Isle of Wight a go. House prices there seem a bit more reasonable even if the sea travel is a bit expensive. Been there several times to visit and loved it. 10 years in Aus....ready to return to the UK. Cant wait to meet our dogs of the plane.:animal-dog::animal-dog:

Edited by Brumbles

We have just accepted an offer on our house...so if all goes well with the survey etc we will be heading back late January 2016. We have decided to give the Isle of Wight a go. House prices there seem a bit more reasonable even if the sea travel is a bit expensive. Been there several times to visit and loved it. 10 years in Aus....ready to return to the UK. Cant wait to meet our dogs of the plane.:animal-dog::animal-dog:

Love the isle of Wight. I'd happily live there if I could.