Who's leaving Australia in 2016

paul1977

• Replies 186
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Money in the bank may not bar you from getting Newstart but if you resign from your job you have to wait 13 weeks.

I won't leave I'll wait till they push.. There's about 2500 of us to go by Christmas so I have a high chance of the chop... I'll be able to claim then

If you get a redundancy you will not be able to claim anything from Centrelink. Even if you don't get a redundancy wouldn't your final payment be enough so you cannot claim benefits - holiday pay, payment in lieu of notice etc?

Edited by dxboz

My 7 year sentence is up tomorrow and I am deciding whether to leave or not. Workplace bullying and harassment have made my mind up to leave my company. I just need to decide whether to try and find a progressive and supportive company here (not many jobs here in my field) or cut my loses, sell the house, possibly at a loss and go back to Bristol.

:mask:

Let's not have this thread go down the arguing and bickering route please. This thread was started to see who is planning to return to the UK in 2016, not to argue the toss or stir the pot on peoples past views or thoughts.

Hi,

weve been in Perth for 2 months short of 3 years .

were leaving in 2 weeks .

we still have our property about 12 miles from Exeter .

its a great safe place to live .

we were never bored as we are each day over here.

good luck and welcome to Devon

Edited by Georgiajoe

Myself and my husband are moving back around march next year. We've been saving hard over the last 4.5 years and are now in a good position to go home (ireland) and buy a property with no mortgage needed.

We don't wanna take on a 30 year mortgage here with so much uncertainty around the economy.

Ireland is still in a dire mess but our parents are getting older ao we'd like to be closer to them.

oh is an oz citizen as he was born here. My ceremony is Australia day 2016 so we can always come if we change our minds.

Myself and my husband are moving back around march next year. We've been saving hard over the last 4.5 years and are now in a good position to go home (ireland) and buy a property with no mortgage needed.

We don't wanna take on a 30 year mortgage here with so much uncertainty around the economy.

Ireland is still in a dire mess but our parents are getting older ao we'd like to be closer to them.

oh is an oz citizen as he was born here. My ceremony is Australia day 2016 so we can always come if we change our minds.

I had heard Ireland is on the up, so good luck.

Guest guest112248
Yes i have heard that 2. Positivity will go a long way. We'll make it work just like we made here work.

Money isnt everything. Having family around is worth so much more :)

This with bells on. I am going back probably January. Moved in 2003 and then went back to UK in December 2012. Loved it but money was not great so returned January this year. Earning the money but as a family we ain't happy. Just gotta bite the big one, and realise the money is nice, but my family life is much more than dollars. Even my Australian wife is converted, hates the heat and can't wait to get back to shopping in Next and M&S!

I'm moving back any time between May and July next year. Been 2 yrs since made decision and not changed my mind since. Went back several months ago for reccie as was expecting to feel a little "different" but if anything, it made us all even more sure. Good luck to everyone else making the move X

Would sell my soul to devil to move back to UK. However have spent the last 7 years here looking out for sick family, one after the other and at the same time been reduced to doing a part time McJob with the attendant workplace bullying and less than a living wage. Both my wife's and my jobs have been replaced with either offshoring or in the wife's situation with rotating Indian contractors who are technically employed in India but work in Aus??? don't ask me how! After 2 visits back over the last few years we both know where we would rather live (and I was born in Oz) and find the Uk a far more interesting place to live for many reasons, lots of different types of people, proximity to EU, wider selection of food and that magic place called 'The Pub' which does not exist in Australia,, yes there are places to drink alcohol but something akin to a public toilet or supermarket with a bar in it selling overpriced watered down lager does not constitute being called a pub, and as for atmosphere, well apart from not having any, they have a negative atmosphere. (and no I/we don't drink much in the UK but nothing at all here) and we have never been able to replace the proper friends we had in the UK and seem to live on the periphery of life. One day it will happen, probably retirment.

Edited by Steve99

Would sell my soul to devil to move back to UK. However have spent the last 7 years here looking out for sick family, one after the other and at the same time been reduced to doing a part time McJob with the attendant workplace bullying and less than a living wage. Both my wife's and my jobs have been replaced with either offshoring or in the wife's situation with rotating Indian contractors who are technically employed in India but work in Aus??? don't ask me how! After 2 visits back over the last few years we both know where we would rather live (and I was born in Oz) and find the Uk a far more interesting place to live for many reasons, lots of different types of people, proximity to EU, wider selection of food and that magic place called 'The Pub' which does not exist in Australia,, yes there are places to drink alcohol but something akin to a public toilet or supermarket with a bar in it selling overpriced watered down lager does not constitute being called a pub, and as for atmosphere, well apart from not having any, they have a negative atmosphere. (and no I/we don't drink much in the UK but nothing at all here) and we have never been able to replace the proper friends we had in the UK and seem to live on the periphery of life. One day it will happen, probably retirment.

We my husband and i feel exactly as you do. I'm also oz born. We too would sell our souls to go also. Unfortunately do to much the same reasons as you we can't make the move yet but like you one day we will. We too feel like we live life somewhat on the periphery. I could have written the same as you almost word for word. Good luck.

Edited by Guest

I won't leave I'll wait till they push.. There's about 2500 of us to go by Christmas so I have a high chance of the chop... I'll be able to claim then

Heads up Paul if you get a redundancy payout you will not be able to claim until all the payout is gone i'm afraid ( spending it all or transfering say back the uk doesn't work either) before claiming They do a calculation on how many weeks pay your redundancy is worth then you have to wait that amount of time before you recieve any money. They also access how much savings you have too. We both got made redundant back in 2012 and had to wait six months before we got any newstart. By which time we already had new jobs. I doubt it has changed much since then in fact i'd put money on it being harder still.

Hi Everyone, We are moving back at the end of Jan 2016!! it wasn't an easy decision at 1st but after starting job searching with UK companies I have had an overwhelming response. I moved backwards in roles when I 1st moved over here (457 Sponsorship) I was also frustrated to find that the construction methods used here are 5-10 years behind the rest of the world.

I'm really looking forward to be going back to the UK but there will be lots of things In Australia that I will miss.

Would sell my soul to devil to move back to UK. However have spent the last 7 years here looking out for sick family, one after the other and at the same time been reduced to doing a part time McJob with the attendant workplace bullying and less than a living wage. Both my wife's and my jobs have been replaced with either offshoring or in the wife's situation with rotating Indian contractors who are technically employed in India but work in Aus??? don't ask me how! After 2 visits back over the last few years we both know where we would rather live (and I was born in Oz) and find the Uk a far more interesting place to live for many reasons... One day it will happen, probably retirment.

@Steve99 - if you wait till retirement, you may not be able to do it: so if you really want to go, don't put it off! Make a plan - even if that plan involves a target move date 10 years away, make the plan and start working towards it.

Why do I say that? Several things.

Hurdle #1 - the retirement age is going up and up and up. If you want to collect your Australian government pension, you're going to have to stay in Australia until you reach retirement age (which may be 70 by that time!) - otherwise you can't claim it, ever. I know that sounds incredible after spending most of your working life in Oz, but it's regarded as a benefit not a right. You may not get much UK pension either, depending on how many years' NI contributions you paid.

Hurdle #2 - the superannuation that you'd be able to claim tax-free if you stay in Australia, will be taxed in the UK.

Hurdle #3 - you'll have no credit history in the UK, so no mortgage, no credit cards, no overdraft, and you'll have to pay a full 6 months' rent upfront if you're renting. It takes a couple of years to build up a history and you need to get one of those credit cards at a ridiculous rate of interest to do it.

Hurdle #4 - you don't say whether you already have the right to reside in the UK. If not, you'll need to apply for a spouse visa. The cost isn't too bad, but the financial requirement goes up and up too - currently you need to have at least £62,500 in the bank for 12 months before you apply, goodness knows what it will be by the time you're ready to go!

@Steve99 - if you wait till retirement, you may not be able to do it: so if you really want to go, don't put it off! Make a plan - even if that plan involves a target move date 10 years away, make the plan and start working towards it.

Why do I say that? Several things.

Hurdle #1 - the retirement age is going up and up and up. If you want to collect your Australian government pension, you're going to have to stay in Australia until you reach retirement age (which may be 70 by that time!) - otherwise you can't claim it, ever. I know that sounds incredible after spending most of your working life in Oz, but it's regarded as a benefit not a right. You may not get much UK pension either, depending on how many years' NI contributions you paid.

Hurdle #2 - the superannuation that you'd be able to claim tax-free if you stay in Australia, will be taxed in the UK.

Hurdle #3 - you'll have no credit history in the UK, so no mortgage, no credit cards, no overdraft, and you'll have to pay a full 6 months' rent upfront if you're renting. It takes a year to build up a history and you need to get one of those credit cards at a ridiculous rate of interest to do it - which becomes even harder if you're retired, as you don't have a job to qualify for a card!

Hurdle #4 - you don't say whether you already have the right to reside in the UK. If not, you'll need to apply for a spouse visa. The cost isn't too bad, but the financial requirement goes up and up too - currently you need to have at least £62,500 in the bank for 12 months before you apply, goodness knows what it will be by the time you're ready to go!

I will just disagree on a couple of points, when we arrived we got a credit card after a few months just with normal CC interest rates, we didn't need to go for one of the high interest cards.

Also you don't always have to pay 6 months rent up front, when we thought we would have to rent for awhile we would have been able to rent with just a couple of months rent.

Edited by Marisawright

I will just disagree on a couple of points, when we arrived we got a credit card after a few months just with normal CC interest rates, we didn't need to go for one of the high interest cards.

Also you don't always have to pay 6 months rent up front, when we thought we would have to rent for awhile we would have been able to rent with just a couple of months rent.

Things have changed since you arrived, the banks are getting stupid about security. We are allowed only the most basic bank account (no overdraft, no credit card), and none of the real estate agents would look at us unless we paid 6 months upfront.

Not trying to put them off moving, just saying that there are hurdles and most of them can be avoided or at least reduced by NOT leaving it until they retire.

Not to mention the example of Fizzybangs - she kept delaying her longed-for return to the UK for the sake of other people, and when she finally got there, she was SO happy - only to pass away less than a year later. You never know what's going to happen, don't delay a dream if you can possibly help it.

Things have changed since you arrived, the banks are getting stupid about security. We are allowed only the most basic bank account (no overdraft, no credit card), and none of the real estate agents would look at us unless we paid 6 months upfront.

Not trying to put them off moving, just saying that there are hurdles and most of them can be avoided or at least reduced by NOT leaving it until they retire.

Not to mention the example of Fizzybangs - she kept delaying her longed-for return to the UK for the sake of other people, and when she finally got there, she was SO happy - only to pass away less than a year later. You never know what's going to happen, don't delay a dream if you can possibly help it.

I can't see that things have changed so dramatically in the 3 years we have been here. I would say if depends on the individual bank and landlords to be honest. I agree with most of what you are saying but I don't think these particular things would have changed countrywide in that short a time. I would have thought with the banks that they would be a lot tighter when times were tough but now things are so much better economically it seems an odd time to tighten up.

I can't see that things have changed so dramatically in the 3 years we have been here. I would say if depends on the individual bank and landlords to be honest

No it doesn't. Three years is plenty of time for things to change! I tried several banks and also researched online, because I wanted to take advantage of some of the special deals the banks were offering. No dice - all we can get is a basic no-frills account. The banks have changed a lot of rules in recent times. Most of it is not due to economics but due to security and paranoia about money laundering, terrorism etc. The bank staff who served me were very apologetic, but the banks' attitude now is that there is so much fraud around now, they have to be ultra-careful - and that means no credit rating, no credit, and you'll face extra checks if you're a "foreigner". Barclays have even started closing the accounts of existing customers who go to live overseas.

As for the 6 months upfront - we looked at a lot of places in both Bournemouth and Southampton and every single agent told us we'd have to pay 6 months rent upfront since we had no credit rating. Bear in mind that we are not working - it may well have been different if one of us had been able to prove employment- another reason why I say it's easier to move while you're still working.

Edited by Marisawright