Internet speed, is this normal in Queensland?

Mike@Bonbeach

Hi

We are on holiday in Queensland at the moment and in the two places we've stopped at (apartment blocks) in Trinity Beach and Airlie Beach, the internet speed has been abysmal.

On a speed test (Ookla) it is showing a speed of less than half a Mbps. At home in Victoria the same test shows around the 15Mbps. Surely the speed I'm getting in Queensland isn't typical?.

I guess the quality of the in-house WiFi in the two apartment blocks could have a bearing on the speed though. I'd hope so for business' sake.

Interested to hear what locals are experiencing.

Mike

I find internet in Hotels etc really slow compared to at home and we have stayed in quite a few hotels across QLD this last year. My home internet is great (no ideahow to check the MBs though) unless it rains hard, then it seems to slow down a little.

Cal x

Hi

We are on holiday in Queensland at the moment and in the two places we've stopped at (apartment blocks) in Trinity Beach and Airlie Beach, the internet speed has been abysmal.

On a speed test (Ookla) it is showing a speed of less than half a Mbps. At home in Victoria the same test shows around the 15Mbps. Surely the speed I'm getting in Queensland isn't typical?.

I guess the quality of the in-house WiFi in the two apartment blocks could have a bearing on the speed though. I'd hope so for business' sake.

Interested to hear what locals are experiencing.

Mike

I assume you are talking wireless internet here. On our travels around Qld wifi availability was hit and miss. Even when advertised the speeds available rendered it virtually unusable at many places.

At home we get a paltry 8mbps maximum download but more typically 3mbps via pur router as we are only on ADSL and a long way from the exchange. Pretty rubbish really and many of our Skype and Facetime calls drop out. We are suburban (not on acreage). Would not even consider services like Netflix for this reason. Australia definitely way behind the times.

Presumably if you are in shared accommodation such as a hotel you might have 20 people all trying to share the connection.

At home you are the only one.

True. Also depends how far your room is from the router. When we stayed in accommodation near reception wifi was someimes ok but if not it was a total lottery whether you got a signal at all even though it was advertised as available in the room.

Presumably if you are in shared accommodation such as a hotel you might have 20 people all trying to share the connection.

At home you are the only one.

Don't forget when especially on adsl your probably on a contention ratio of 1 of 20 or even 1 of 50 sharing the connection which is why when low speeds will get even worse at peak times

Doesn't happen with cable though

Choose wisely where you live if internet is important as not all Australia is bad

Don't forget when especially on adsl your probably on a contention ratio of 1 of 20 or even 1 of 50 sharing the connection which is why when low speeds will get even worse at peak times

Doesn't happen with cable though

Choose wisely where you live if internet is important as not all Australia is bad

Normal cable is shared at an even earlier point than ADSL though isn't it ?

Archived