Education

Britbabe

Hi

My husband and I are returning back to the UK early 2016. My daughter is in year 11 at the moment and my son is completing year 12.

I have been asked by the local college where I wish to enroll my kids how long have we been out of the UK. What is the relevance of this question?

Is there something I should be concerned about, in terms of fees or being allowed to attend college?

Regards

Britbabe

I would contact the college about any possible affects. There will be issues at university level - children need to have been resident in the UK for 2 years prior to going to university in order to gain full funding. I believe, based on a friends facebook post today who is moving back from NZ that there are fees for A levels as well.

She has been quoted 8k for A levels. However, that is based purely on her post.

Thanks for that but why would they be considered to be international students?

It was through no fault of theirs that we decided to move to Aus or to move back to the UK.

Because they have been out of the UK for "x" number of years. It's as simple as that.

The reason for the absence from the UK is not relevant to determining student status.

Over several similar threads on this very subject, it would seem that some educational institutes are allowed to "vary" the terms of the govt instructions on determining international student status (especially if you have only been out of the UK on a temporary basis). It might be worth pleading your case with them.

Edited by Suzukiscottie

I think that much will depend on your children's date of births. Education upto the age of 19 is free at schools (and I was under the impression for colleges too, but perhaps the rules have changed recently). University is different.

This may be helpful

http://www.ukcisa.org.uk/International-Students/Fees--finance/Home-or-Overseas-fees/England-Further-Education-16-18/

I think it's saying that if your children are British citizens their education will be funded, but I would also check with the local education authority for clarification.

It's compulsory to be in education or training, at least part time until you're 18 now, so it would be strange if it wasn't funded.

I think that much will depend on your children's date of births. Education upto the age of 19 is free at schools (and I was under the impression for colleges too, but perhaps the rules have changed recently). University is different.

This may be helpful

http://www.ukcisa.org.uk/International-Students/Fees--finance/Home-or-Overseas-fees/England-Further-Education-16-18/

I think it's saying that if your children are British citizens their education will be funded, but I would also check with the local education authority for clarification.

It's compulsory to be in education or training, at least part time until you're 18 now, so it would be strange if it wasn't funded.

I’d just add that the devolved governments are responsible for education issues , so things are slightly different in Wales/ Scotland/ Northern Ireland. T x

https://www.gov.uk/know-when-you-can-leave-school

My husband wanted to go to college and had to wait until he had been back in the UK 3 years otherwise would have had to pay international fees - he is way over 19 tho!

Is it an FE college or sixth form college they want to go to?

• 1 year later...
11 minutes ago, Sukhwinder Singh said:

Okay but this happened with me. So that is why I am telling.

As an educational advisor you should now that what is true for one person does not hold true for all. And digging up such an old thread to make such a daft and untrue statement really does your credibility no good at all.

• Like 1