Decided to escape

pomstar

• Replies 503
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I suspect that some also feel it necessary to run down the UK to help explain and justify their move; I have seen this on the forums too from prospective migrants. I am often being asked by the locals here why I left UK to live in Queensland. A major reason is the warmer climate here of course but, for me at least, I see no reason to, or gain in, running down the UK to justify the move.

That's one thing I have never done. Why would I? I only have happy memories of life in the UK but I have heard other migrants making derogatory comments. They were usually the ones who adopted an Aussie accent after being here 6 months.

That's one thing I have never done. Why would I? I only have happy memories of life in the UK but I have heard other migrants making derogatory comments. They were usually the ones who adopted an Aussie accent after being here 6 months.

On the other hand I have heard many making derogatory comments about Australia in very early days of being here...everything is so expensive.....we didn't come here to work like we did in UK...really??? Why do people come if not to get a better house, car, more money, work less....(I had this said to me by an unsure new migrant) I was quite shocked really...I though, what did you expect?? I didn't really think people had such unrealistic expectations any more...

On the other hand I have heard many making derogatory comments about Australia in very early days of being here...everything is so expensive.....we didn't come here to work like we did in UK...really??? Why do people come if not to get a better house, car, more money, work less....(I had this said to me by an unsure new migrant) I was quite shocked really...I though, what did you expect?? I didn't really think people had such unrealistic expectations any more...

Yes, heard all that too :laugh: People like that just have unrealistic expectations. Aren't people strange at times?

I suspect that some also feel it necessary to run down the UK to help explain and justify their move; I have seen this on the forums too from prospective migrants. I am often being asked by the locals here why I left UK to live in Queensland. A major reason is the warmer climate here of course but, for me at least, I see no reason to, or gain in, running down the UK to justify the move.

I've even committed the cardinal sin of criticising Australia to Australians, and even worse unfavourably compared some aspect of Australia with the U.K, I've always explained why I thought that way, not everyone has agreed with me, but no one has ever taken offence.

OMG I caught myself today calling my garage a garaage. The problem is that I am a natural mimic. I am going to have to make an effort to keep my English accent I feel.

Exactly, it's not a conscious thing. It's more of a perception thing.

Of course, there are those try hard types who adopt the rising inflection deliberately and consciously say 'arvo' and 'doco' in a sad attempt to ingratiate themselves with the locals but nobody's fooled. People will either like you for who you are or they won't. More often people like someone who doesn't appear to be 'trying'.

In a way we should have been paying attention to all those US sitcoms from the 80's like 'Different Strokes', where the moral at the end was always 'be yourself, don't pretend to be something you're not'

Even though I have an obvious Australian accent I don't think I have ever once said arvo in my entire life. Asan aside this habit seems to be getting worse with literally every word being shortened, some I have heard lately include fisho for fisherman and birdo for someone who keeps birds.

I've even committed the cardinal sin of criticising Australia to Australians, and even worse unfavourably compared some aspect of Australia with the U.K, I've always explained why I thought that way, not everyone has agreed with me, but no one has ever taken offence.

Interestingly I have spoken with a surprisingly large number of Australians who voluntarily voice their own gripes about Australia with me even in a first conversation. Not something I had anticipated at all based on many of the comments in these forums. Must admit that I haven't done it myself though. I actually haven't had any negative experiences yet but, even if I had, would consider that as a new migrant it would be the height of bad manners to do so.

Exactly, it's not a conscious thing. It's more of a perception thing.

Of course, there are those try hard types who adopt the rising inflection deliberately and consciously say 'arvo' and 'doco' in a sad attempt to ingratiate themselves with the locals but nobody's fooled. People will either like you for who you are or they won't. More often people like someone who doesn't appear to be 'trying'.

In a way we should have been paying attention to all those US sitcoms from the 80's like 'Different Strokes', where the moral at the end was always 'be yourself, don't pretend to be something you're not'

Sadly, the try hard types think the locals are laughing with them, when they're usually laughing at them.

Interestingly I have spoken with a surprisingly large number of Australians who voluntarily voice their own gripes about Australia with me even in a first conversation. Not something I had anticipated at all based on many of the comments in these forums.

Believe me it is not something you would have heard even a decade ago.

I've heard Australia called backward, Australians lazy, thick and unwilling to understand our accents !!!! one "lady" telling my daughter to dump her Aussie Boyfriend and get herself a nice English one. I've heard nothing but moaning and rudeness ar parties where Australians were present and within earshot. One new arrival went into my sons old school with her daughter and asked his teacher just how far behind English Schools are to Australan schools. My 9 year old son was so shocked by her rudeness he came home and told me all about it. Some people just can't help themselves, sometimes my toes curl with embarrassment , similar to when my Grandad used to make really racist remarks about Black,Asian,American ( insert your word of choice! ) but it definitely wasn't as polite.

Edited by Que Sera, Sera

Even though I have an obvious Australian accent I don't think I have ever once said arvo in my entire life. Asan aside this habit seems to be getting worse with literally every word being shortened, some I have heard lately include fisho for fisherman and birdo for someone who keeps birds.

I say arvo, firey's, ambo's...the dreaded data (dar-ter)...draw the line at yo-gurt. None of it a conscious decision...apart from not saying yo-gurt...sounds ridiculous...

Definitely don't say pardy (party)and warder (water) as have heard many a pom do. Or cidizen (citizen) though quite perturbed to hear son say it...

Edited by HappyHeart

I say arvo, firey's, ambo's...the dreaded data (dar-ter)...draw the line at yo-gurt. None of it a conscious decision...apart from not saying yo-gurt...sounds ridiculous...

Definitely don't say pardy (party)and warder (water) as have heard many a pom do. Or cidizen (citizen) though quite perturbed to hear son say it...

Never heard anyone say warder, Aussie or Brit. Heard lots of both say pardy though.

Thats a fair point, It's probably easier for the folks like me who have Aussie partners as they are the reason we are here rather than a conscious decision to leave another country for somewhere new.

He is unlucky wherever he lives. Funny that, when clearly such a likeable chap.

I'm at a loss as to this "subjective" argument having any validity.

We have an Op who clearly, after only ten yrs, has come tpo realise that he hates Oz and Aussies and then tarnishes anyone, pom or otherwise, who has an affinity to an Aussie lifestyle as being moronic. We have another poster who interjects but infrequently (thank Christ!) merely to attack whichever country he resides in at the time stating, when challenged, that he returns to either for domestic reasons after previously stating his reasone as as being "hatred" (FWOABW) for the location/politics/economics of the country he is in at that particular time.

We also have posters using the "subjective argument", asking us to make allowances for the aforementioned posters state of mind at the time, and to understand that their gross generalisations may be excusable/allowable due to their circumstance and "how they see it". Errrrrrm? Excuse me m'lud, I ask you to make allowances for the fact that the accused slit his wife's throat and then bragged about it to all and sundry, due to the fact that he was "in a dark place at the time". Give me a break!

WTF is wrong with some folk that they can't differentiate from the truly deserving (of sympathy/empathy) and the feckwit who merely blames everything and everyone for their own prejudices/misfortunes?

TBH, in 20 yrs here, and watching the growth of North Lakes, I have never heard one pom affect an autralian accent (except when telling a joke about aussies) or heard of north lakes referred to as "little britain". It seems (to me) that PIO gives birth to it's own myths.

So what Is it a big deal how someone from a different culture refers to something? I'm hazarding a guess that no-one in your sleepy village would refer to someone with Pakistani descent as a "Paki"? If you've only heard "fisho" recently then it illustrates fully just hwo isolated you must have been from the country that you lived in

"Fisho" was in use over 20 yrs ago and "Snag" btw (assumed to be an Aussie term for sausage) was used by the Brit military as far back as 1964 and probably further

We have mobile fish/seafood vans locally. The business is actually called Fisho. Must be lucrative too because they both drive 4x4 s with personalised plates , Mrs Fisho and Mr Fisho. Funny I thought, can't see why anyone would get their knickers in a twist about it.

Especially as it's been around for years and yet someone who lived here for 30 says "recently heard"?

We have mobile fish/seafood vans locally. The business is actually called Fisho. Must be lucrative too because they both drive 4x4 s with personalised plates , Mrs Fisho and Mr Fisho. Funny I thought, can't see why anyone would get their knickers in a twist about it.

Who has their knickers in a twist about it ?

TBH, in 20 yrs here, and watching the growth of North Lakes, I have never heard one pom affect an autralian accent (except when telling a joke about aussies) or heard of north lakes referred to as "little britain". It seems (to me) that PIO gives birth to it's own myths.

Tbh JD ,I have heard a pom adapt the strine,but it was here in the u.k.

A woman from Warwick came back to the u.k on holiday after 5 yrs in oz .

She had the full works ....

I could hardly contain myself when I heard her talk ...stupid cow....

Tbh JD ,I have heard a pom adapt the strine,but it was here in the u.k.

A woman from Warwick came back to the u.k on holiday after 5 yrs in oz .

She had the full works ....

I could hardly contain myself when I heard her talk ...stupid cow....

And that fully illustrates the pretentiousness of those prats who, although they have returned to the Uk, like to advertise the fact that they had lived in Oz. It also illustrates (IMHO) why they had to return to the UK...........the Aussies would spot that pretentiousness a mile off................albeit, some poms wouild see it as racism