Decided to escape

pomstar

I'm an Australian who has lived in the UK for nearly twenty years. I don't call it home. Even my English wife calls Australia home. But we quite like the UK too. We wouldn't be here if we didn't. Can't imagine spending more than a minute in a place I despised.

You might if returning would cost money you don't have, and cause you to spend more emotional energy that you have already expended getting here, and if you have a good job and unsure prospects of getting one in the place you may want to go to. And if life where you are isn't intolerable by any means, is often enjoyable, and has many good points, it's just missing even more things that make the other place your 'home'.

• Replies 503
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We were academics and quite definitely 'middle class'. I belong to a poetry group where they are all Aussies and they nearly all have a much wider education than I have- I am talking classical here. They understand Latin,( I only got as far as 'o' level Latin) Greek and what they don't know about philosophical ideas you could write on a postage stamp. Now I studied phil for 4 years as a minor in my degree- they leave me for dead. I am talking ordinary people here, not teachers or lecturers, so those who talk condescendingly about uneducated, philistine Australians have got it seriously and badly wrong. The joke is on them.

Yeah, not academics, just your average Aussies reading Ovid and Aeschylus on the morning commute. Do me a favour. Of course there are intellectual Australians, it's just that culture here is very thinly spread. I go to a lot of house viewings and rarely see a bookcase...

I'm a Melbourne Symphony subscriber but I'm no longer going in future, as apart from the absurd prices the programmes are all 'classical's greatest hits' - Rachmaninov, Tchaikovsky, Beethoven with various warhorse concertos thrown in. It's the same at Opera Australia. It's as if they're doing an impersonation of a cultural icon but without upsetting the punters with something like Messiaen or even Stravinsky which would be regarded as the height of the avant-garde and cause the aged patrons to keel over. There's nothing challenging as there would be in Europe or the US.

I think we can work out whom has the biggest chip on their shoulder! Australia is Australia and not England, any simple research would of revealed the history of this land and the culture of its present peoples. However just because you cannot fit in there is no need to run it down in such a way, a simple "it's not for me" would have sufficed and you would have got more repect for it, but you have proved yourself to be a true whinging pom.

Safe and speedy travels.[/quote

The Aussies never ever stop running England or the poms down.It's in their D@A thick Ocker syndrome. I can't count how many times in my 29 years here,I have had said to me,we don't mind you Scots and Irish,But Most True blue Aussies cannotstand them Pommy Bastards.And I'm not even a Scot only my dad's side, I'm a Geordie British and Proud of it.Those poms that think they will ever be excepted are Dreaming.The Poms that want to be Aussies say ,I went to the Aussie shops to buy My Aussie piss in my Aussie car sat in my wonderful Aussie made chair and watched Aussie footy all day. All Poms are Whingers if you compare anything,anything at all. Being a pom living in Australia you are a Whinger. If this guy had not wrote his bit.Keith You would have had nothing to whinge about. So it's made your day?

Fact being neither country are home to intellectual heavyweights. UK is seen as anti intellectual by some across The Channel. Even some English themselves bemoan the lack of intellectualism among their fellow citizens.

It is just that Australians are inclined to be more so. The comment about books I think rather valid as well. I seldom go to a house where many books are evident. My house is opposite with bookshelves heaving and over flowing with books on subjects of interest collected over decades.

I have had comments like dust collectors and the like. Never recall anything along those lines in London or Europe.

Of course there are those that enjoy high cultural. Just more a minority than more established places. Australia was indeed built on the sweat on the brow of the working man. It is likely to suit certain individuals far more than others. Just the way it is but of course anyone can learn to find satisfaction in their daily life and accept a degree of compromise.

Others the virtues of living in Australia will wear thin and elsewhere will beckon. It really doesn't matter at all.

I think we can work out whom has the biggest chip on their shoulder! Australia is Australia and not England, any simple research would of revealed the history of this land and the culture of its present peoples. However just because you cannot fit in there is no need to run it down in such a way, a simple "it's not for me" would have sufficed and you would have got more repect for it, but you have proved yourself to be a true whinging pom.

Safe and speedy travels.[/quote

The Aussies never ever stop running England or the poms down.It's in their D@A thick Ocker syndrome. I can't count how many times in my 29 years here,I have had said to me,we don't mind you Scots and Irish,But Most True blue Aussies cannotstand them Pommy Bastards.And I'm not even a Scot only my dad's side, I'm a Geordie British and Proud of it.Those poms that think they will ever be excepted are Dreaming.The Poms that want to be Aussies say ,I went to the Aussie shops to buy My Aussie piss in my Aussie car sat in my wonderful Aussie made chair and watched Aussie footy all day. All Poms are Whingers if you compare anything,anything at all. Being a pom living in Australia you are a Whinger. If this guy had not wrote his bit.Keith You would have had nothing to whinge about. So it's made your day?

Maybe other people don't have such a burning desire about 'being accepted' by people? They just live here and enjoy it...get over yourself Zack, it's not a big deal. You create this perception of 'how it is' and it serves no purpose. I've never felt the animosity you seem to be aware of from Australians. If I had I think I would deem it 'their' problem to be honest...certainly not mine.

Fact being neither country are home to intellectual heavyweights. UK is seen as anti intellectual by some across The Channel. Even some English themselves bemoan the lack of intellectualism among their fellow citizens.

It is just that Australians are inclined to be more so. The comment about books I think rather valid as well. I seldom go to a house where many books are evident. My house is opposite with bookshelves heaving and over flowing with books on subjects of interest collected over decades.

I have had comments like dust collectors and the like. Never recall anything along those lines in London or Europe.

Of course there are those that enjoy high cultural. Just more a minority than more established places. Australia was indeed built on the sweat on the brow of the working man. It is likely to suit certain individuals far more than others. Just the way it is but of course anyone can learn to find satisfaction in their daily life and accept a degree of compromise.

Others the virtues of living in Australia will wear thin and elsewhere will beckon. It really doesn't matter at all.

You're mixing in the wrong circles then! I have run out of room...all of my friends have plenty on show...not that a display is required as a measure of intellect though...(mine is in my bedroom, maybe you're just not invited into bedrooms enough;)

Well my mother is German and an avid reader of history and politics, my Dad is Anglo-Australian and just about the most intellectual guy I know - University educated at Sydney and a natural intellectual. My stepdad is Scottish, my stepmum Scottish ancestry. Most of my friends growing up in Sydney were born on other continents. My husband is Dutch, just about everyone I know who isn't from another country has been abroad many many times and all have a diverse array of interests from antiques to surfing to yachting to sci-fi to meteorology to football to opera. So who are we talking about here..?

I'm sorry but many of the English I met while living there were television watching homebodies, obsessed with celebrity and who had little knowledge of the world beyond Lanzarote or Costa del Sol. On many occasions I was asked why Australians speak English?!!

Many of the others I met were stimulating, open-minded and globally aware - who reminded me of all the things that make the British known universally for being innovative and great (if also a little tyrannical and brutish;))

If you delight so much in your own British history well you have to take the good with the bad...

What the English fail to see is that the first settlers of Australia were English and therefore as much the ancestors of "British" people in the UK today as they are of their descendant's still in Australia. So if all the qualities of the Australians irk you - maybe there is a historical precedent. This is the land you shunned your most ill-fortuned members to and made them get on with the tribes people already living here.. Which in reality was a failure in foreign policy, but what the British on many occasions use as an excuse to look down their nose upon Australians as an example of how we are racist genocidal barbarians. Well i'm sorry but that whole episode marks yet another dark page in British history. Your culture is not only weaved of inventions, classical (Germanic) music, philosophy and empathy. But also conquest, tyranny and many many mistakes which of course you'd like to forget as we would like to.

Who put us here? You did.

No history? Well I know where I come from. And I also know what happened over the years to bring me to this place.

Edited by speakeasy

Yeah, not academics, just your average Aussies reading Ovid and Aeschylus on the morning commute. Do me a favour. Of course there are intellectual Australians, it's just that culture here is very thinly spread. I go to a lot of house viewings and rarely see a bookcase...

I'm a Melbourne Symphony subscriber but I'm no longer going in future, as apart from the absurd prices the programmes are all 'classical's greatest hits' - Rachmaninov, Tchaikovsky, Beethoven with various warhorse concertos thrown in. It's the same at Opera Australia. It's as if they're doing an impersonation of a cultural icon but without upsetting the punters with something like Messiaen or even Stravinsky which would be regarded as the height of the avant-garde and cause the aged patrons to keel over. There's nothing challenging as there would be in Europe or the US.

Perhaps if you looked just a little bit further afield than the obvious you would realise there is more on offer than you think. I was invited to hear Stravinsky played tonight in Sydney at UNSW.

No it doesn't matter .................... but I get a tad p*ssed off when people make such a song and dance about knocking Australia, the UK or wherever.

By the way Flag, we had so many books before moving to Tasmania it was sad to do but we boxed up hundreds of them and gave them to charity shops. We still have many though - too precious to get rid of and I went book shopping the other day AND I also borrow from the library.

Edited by JockinTas

It's not about having a Burning Desire of being accepted.Personaly I couldn't care less ,with me they get what they see and hear. The Biggest Social Problem In Australia. is Neighbour Disputes. They brag none stop about the Aussie spirit and mateship. They can't get on with each other. When I was working they wantedme to be their union delegate. I refused. They were always dobbing each other in to the boss.

It's not about having a Burning Desire of being accepted.Personaly I couldn't care less ,with me they get what they see and hear. The Biggest Social Problem In Australia. is Neighbour Disputes. They brag none stop about the Aussie spirit and mateship. They can't get on with each other. When I was working they wantedme to be their union delegate. I refused. They were always dobbing each other in to the boss.

That happens everywhere Zack but I think you must have bad luck where are living. We did have godawful neighbours at one time in Sydney but they weren't Australian. Like I said, it can happen anywhere not just in Australia.

You're mixing in the wrong circles then! I have run out of room...all of my friends have plenty on show...not that a display is required as a measure of intellect though...(mine is in my bedroom, maybe you're just not invited into bedrooms enough;)

Of course I know those that do appreciate books. Books will not disguise a lack of intellectual interest if none or little exists. They certainly shouldn't be a decoration. At the same time others in positions, one may assume have an interest in reading don't.

A bit tough. To some realisation comes later in the day. To others they assume time may assist in settlement. Others never get it and on reflection should probably have never left the familiar. At least the OP appears to be about to return. Many are not in that position for one reason or another.

A little bit more critique of certain aspects of what's going down in Australia, wouldn't go amiss though.

It would appear then that what you mean is the OP could not adjust. So they looked for something to blame! the old 'it's not my fault' chestnut

how did we get from Aussies hating Poms to neighbourhood disputes??

ive had a very different exposure to Australians. Maybe I get more respect when I enter Australian homes because of my job I don't know but a lot of the Australians I meet have English heritage and are fascinated by all things pommie.

It would appear then that what you mean is the OP could not adjust. So they looked for something to blame! the old 'it's not my fault' chestnut

I have no idea if could not, would not or just not for them. It could be changing attitudes over time. It could be the feeling of sold a dud through promotion in UK.

What is apparent is the OP doesn't care for it and IMO understandable. The same lines have been used in part or full since I can recall. Indeed I know people that returned after a long duration if sentiments akin to OP. In earlier times I left Australia after various durations with some of the articulated narrative.

All amounts to no big deal. It is how it is. There are limitations to living in Australia to which some struggle, or never come to terms with.

how did we get from Aussies hating Poms to neighbourhood disputes??

ive had a very different exposure to Australians. Maybe I get more respect when I enter Australian homes because of my job I don't know but a lot of the Australians I meet have English heritage and are fascinated by all things pommie.

Neighbourhood disputes can indeed be an issue. Same applies to UK and I certainly know it does in France. Anyway only two nights ago was further waylaid into listening to an ongoing saga of a bitter dispute that has been flaming for close on two years. Threats and counter threats. Lawyer's letters. Small I intimidation. All over a fence.

I wonder if Aussies care either way these days if a Pom or not? I haven't heard it being an issue for a very long time. If you enter homes due to your job, well it would be a pretty well received response.

I have no idea if could not, would not or just not for them. It could be changing attitudes over time. It could be the feeling of sold a dud through promotion in UK.

What is apparent is the OP doesn't care for it and IMO understandable. The same lines have been used in part or full since I can recall. Indeed I know people that returned after a long duration if sentiments akin to OP. In earlier times I left Australia after various durations with some of the articulated narrative.

All amounts to no big deal. It is how it is. There are limitations to living in Australia to which some struggle, or never come to terms with.

A bit like me when I was living in the US. I had a good job, made friends, lovely weather but I never felt as if I could live there forever. Mind you, I have never knocked it either. My brother worked in Saudi for 8 years. It couldn't have been easy but he was there to earn good money. I never heard him once saying anything negative about the country. He also lived happily in Thailand for over 20 years and in spite of corruption all over the place he always looked at the positives.

A bit like me when I was living in the US. I had a good job, made friends, lovely weather but I never felt as if I could live there forever. Mind you, I have never knocked it either. My brother worked in Saudi for 8 years. It couldn't have been easy but he was there to earn good money. I never heard him once saying anything negative about the country. He also lived happily in Thailand for over 20 years and in spite of corruption all over the place he always looked at the positives.

We are all different to how we relate. I personally prefer to get the entire picture. But 20 years in Thailand? Your brother must have been having a ball. Earn the lucre in Saudi and spend it real slowly in Thailand having fun. Not half bad.

Neighbourhood disputes can indeed be an issue. Same applies to UK and I certainly know it does in France. Anyway only two nights ago was further waylaid into listening to an ongoing saga of a bitter dispute that has been flaming for close on two years. Threats and counter threats. Lawyer's letters. Small I intimidation. All over a fence.

I wonder if Aussies care either way these days if a Pom or not? I haven't heard it being an issue for a very long time. If you enter homes due to your job, well it would be a pretty well received response.

we had awful neighbour issues in UK. Nothing here as yet apart from the odd party going on too late. Just keep our heads down or at least I do. Husband gets his knickers in a knot at times but it's all about tolerance really.

I mi don't feel any animosity in work or social situations with Australians. Never heard any overt racism. Most ask how long we've lived here and if weve been back, like it here etc. some Aussies seem to have rose tinted view of escape to the country style UK. Others tell tales of where their families came from. I love chatting to the Aussies. One world. All part of same race. Humans that is.

We are all different to how we relate. I personally prefer to get the entire picture. But 20 years in Thailand? Your brother must have been having a ball. Earn the lucre in Saudi and spend it real slowly in Thailand having fun. Not half bad.

He was a civil engineer in both countries. He met an English nurse in Saudi and after they were married moved to Thailand. She nursed there too after having their two children. So no, he wasn't out on the razz spending the cash :laugh:

we had awful neighbour issues in UK. Nothing here as yet apart from the odd party going on too late. Just keep our heads down or at least I do. Husband gets his knickers in a knot at times but it's all about tolerance really.

I mi don't feel any animosity in work or social situations with Australians. Never heard any overt racism. Most ask how long we've lived here and if weve been back, like it here etc. some Aussies seem to have rose tinted view of escape to the country style UK. Others tell tales of where their families came from. I love chatting to the Aussies. One world. All part of same race. Humans that is.

Bit like when Britain opened up its immigration to the commonwealth, Irish claim they were no longer the brunt of discrimination. Similar thing with Brit's, as time moved on and more diversity appeared in the immigration program, Brits became more 'invisible' to criticism.

Bit like when Britain opened up its immigration to the commonwealth, Irish claim they were no longer the brunt of discrimination. Similar thing with Brit's, as time moved on and more diversity appeared in the immigration program, Brits became more 'invisible' to criticism.

Maybe that's the case. I'm just not of the opinion that I am an 'outsider' never felt that way here. I feel like I have as much right to be here as any Australian born person.

Never felt like an outsider here and only been here 3.5 years.

Every other person here has British heritage it seems anyway or from other immigrant stock. Think sometimes these outsider issues are in people's heads or people who are unwilling to partake in any of the local culture.