Arrival report - 4 months in ... NSW (also posted in NSW section of forum)

vickyplum

I’ve been meaning to write an arrival report for ages now, to hopefully go some way to repaying some of the advice that’s been given to me on this forum over the past couple of years…

Flights – my partner left the UK before I did, to do some travel as I finished up my notice period at work. I flew Cathay Pacific, premium economy to Sydney via Hong Kong. We spent a week in Hong Kong and Taipei, which sadly coincided with a lot of bad weather towards the Philippines, so it was raining most of the time. But it was a good (ie, bearable for me) temperature because of that.

I like Cathay but still find the premium economy seats to be uncomfortable on a long haul trip, and there’s still the problem of scrambling out over your neighbour, if you are in the window seat. But they were a good price (1600 GBP return) and I’ll be using the return part of the ticket to go back to the UK in May 2016. Ideally I’ll upgrade but will see how much it costs.

I was overweight with my luggage but wasn’t charged extra and no comment was made (both in London and HK).

Bank account – I opened my account with CBA from the UK. When I arrived in NSW, I went to the branch that I nominated, to pick up my debit card. I got the usual sales pitch for other products but that’s to be expected, and not too much of an impost. No hitches at all and I’ve just got a CBA credit card as well, which was approved almost immediately and sent out in a few days. I’ve got a fairly generous credit limit as well.

Tax return – had to do my first tax return almost as soon as I arrived (started work on 9 June). I used H&R Block to complete the return, as I thought it might be complicated due to having arrived from the UK. Turns out I could have done it myself but it was good to have peace of mind and I also got a refund (due to overtaxing on my first salary payment).

Superannuation fund – to make life easy, I joined the super fund offered by my employer.

UK finances – I still have a small amount of money in my UK bank account, which I use now and again and also have some payments made into. I’ve also kept one of my UK credit cards, as it doesn’t incur overseas transaction charges and is useful for internet shopping from time to time. Both accounts are registered to my parents’ address. I still have two pension funds (NHS and private) and they also have my parents’ address assigned to them.

Medicare – as I’m on a 309 visa, I’m classes as a visitor, for Medicare purposes. All this means is that my card has a short expiry on it. I applied for the card at my local service centre, and received the number immediately (the process took about 15 min). The card then followed approx. 1 week later.

Health insurance – my partner and I have taken joint BUPA health cover, including hospital but no extras. I’m still confused by the mass of different options, but don’t have the inclination to explore it at the moment…

Work – I was lucky enough to be offered a role starting immediately, covering maternity leave. The salary isn’t quite what I was looking for, but it’s about the same as my UK salary so I can easily live on it. My contract was due to end in November and has been extended to February, so provides a little more financial security over the Xmas period.

Accommodation – we are fortunate enough to have been able to stay with my father in law from arrival until now. My partner started work at the start of September so we are now in a position to get a place in Sydney (currently in Wollongong so a bit of a commute!). We are due to move to Chatswood next week, in a 2-bed apartment, which will put us in a good position for catching the train to work and the commercial / food-related delights that Chatswood has to offer.

We’re lucky – in a funny sort of way – to have come from London where rents are roughly the same for what we’re looking at now. My share of the rent is the same proportion of my salary as it was in the UK and my partner’s will probably be slightly more, as he’s now earning less as a permanent employee (he was a contractor before).

Culture / Australians / Australia – I haven’t found this to be much of a struggle so far, but with our long commutes, there hasn’t been much time for after work drinks or doing stuff outside of the weekends.

I love the coast and inland areas of south NSW and the harbour / waterside areas in Sydney are just lovely. I don’t rate Sydney particularly highly, and I think the water setting is something that sets it apart from being a fairly average low/medium rise city. Yes that are some nice areas (and plenty that I haven’t seen yet) but there is so much sprawl and areas devoid of anything interesting, that I struggle to see it as a ‘world city’. I don’t want to sound disrespectful about a city that is still very new to me, but that’s my feeling on the subject thus far. But I look forward to exploring more once we are in our new home and taking the time to visit different areas.

I can’t say I find the Australia people to be amazingly different from any other people I’ve met around the world (they are good ones / bad ones / chatty / quiet etc). They are a diverse bunch, represented by cultures and backgrounds that come from different parts of the world, with a good dollop of Asian influence.

I struggle with the AFL / sports ‘culture’ but then I had no interest in sport previously so not a big shock.

TV – terrible. When I look forward to seeing ‘New Tricks’ I know there’s something wrong… News reporting is pretty shocking as well. There are a few things I watch but otherwise my viewing is pretty low.

If anyone has questions about a specific item or area I might be able to help with, please let me know! Happy to help if I can.

Edited by vickyplum

Very well written and a good resource for other new arrivals. I've enjoyed reading it as it's so informative.

You have given good advise for new migrants in the same situation. Good on you!

The AFL thing was really a cultural shocker for my hubby and me as well, we never could get it as for us 'soccer' is the real football. Watched some sequences but it's so boring, I use it only to count sheep though I first thought my attitude would be pretty offensive for Australian footy fans but then I found out not every Australian is a footy fan! Like you described the culture is so diverse and versatile.

Very well written and a good resource for other new arrivals. I've enjoyed reading it as it's so informative.

You have given good advise for new migrants in the same situation. Good on you!

The AFL thing was really a cultural shocker for my hubby and me as well, we never could get it as for us 'soccer' is the real football. Watched some sequences but it's so boring, I use it only to count sheep though I first thought my attitude would be pretty offensive for Australian footy fans but then I found out not every Australian is a footy fan! Like you described the culture is so diverse and versatile.

Thanks - I enjoyed writing it too.

When the newsreader / sports reporter talks about the teams, I still have no idea if they are AFL or NRL. I should probably try to learn but have zero interest... the only reason I know anything about UK teams is having grown up with them and absorbed unwillingly / unwittingly! Plus I don't have a brother so my Dad would tell me about it all the time...

We are due to move to Chatswood next week, in a 2-bed apartment, which will put us in a good position for catching the train to work and the commercial / food-related delights that Chatswood has to offer.

Why did you choose Chatswood?

I work in Chatswoo

Known as Chatswoo (with the silent D) locally due to the high population of Chinese people.

One lunchtime I was standing in Chatswoo mall when I happened to glance round and realized there was not another caucasian (apart from me) as far as the eye could see. That combined with all the shop, bank and street signs also written in Chinese, gave me a very surreal feeling. Felt like I was in Chinatown in downtown Hong Kong.

Due to the Chinese influence, there are some good restaurants and TCM doctors there. Some really good yum cha and peking duck places to eat. Two cinemas, two shopping centers (Westfield and also the posher more expensive Chatswood Chase), a library, decent gym with an indoor swimming pool, banks, post office, decent bottle shops, close to Lane Cove National Park and several beaches - everything you need. The only thing missing is a decent pub - several in area - but nothing I really like.

Edited by jumpingjellybean

Why did you choose Chatswood?

We call it Chatwong ;)

Chosen for several reasons - the facilities such as shops, restaurants, most things that would need. Good access to rail, as we don't want to buy a car or be reliant on driving, plus we have relatives in surrounding areas (ones we'd actually spend time with!). I work near Town Hall and my partner near Wynyard, so it gives a short train or bus commute.

I really like it there - it's clean, safe and lots going on, plus everything doesn't shut down bang on 5pm (not a reason to move somewhere but nice to have).

It's no Waverton (where I'd REALLY like to live) but we can actually afford to live there in a pretty nice unit.

Yes there are plenty of Chinese but I see the similar volume of other ethnicities as well - particularly once away from the main shopping area.

Edited by vickyplum

I think having a car is pretty essential over here though. Loads of places are crap for getting to on public transport.

Yes I think it will be in the medium/long-term. But for now, we have the bond to pay on our new place and then need to kit it out pretty much from scratch. That should use up the funds for a few months!

:wacko:

I thought of you in Killara - haven't been up that way yet (Roseville is the furthest so far) but I'm sure will be there or passing through at some point.

Edited by vickyplum

It's no Waverton (where I'd REALLY like to live)

Yes I really like Waverton too.

I like Chatswood to work in because it has everything there and easy to get to on the train. Loads of things to do in my lunch break. Good eating out choices.

The train and bus service is also very reliable. And you could potentially walk into the city from there. Bit of a hike but certainly doable.

Years ago there was a signal failure during rush hour and all the trains in all directions were stopped. Streets and buses were chaos. Taxis well forget it. So I walked from Wynyard Station to Chatswood. Took me two hours. But it took considerably less time than people waiting for the bus!

Personally I would not like living there as I find it quite "intense"; but I know lots of people who live there and love it.

The mall has some great international food stalls from 11am to 9pm on a Thursday and Friday and they always smell delicious. Got a really good paella recently for lunch from one of the stalls. And nearby in Frenchs Forest on a Sunday there is a good organic market.

Have fun there! It is a good base to live in for the city commute.

need to kit it out pretty much from scratch. That should use up the funds for a few months!

We have just kitted out a new rental from scratch on the cheap:

Fantastic Furniture - there is one in Artarmon next suburb over to Chatswood and they offer free delivery.

Kmart

Target

Gumtree

Trash Nothing

https://trashnothing.com/sydney-north-reuseit?r=groups-view-c1-s2

The North Shore and St Ives Trash Nothing are good groups to join. As the people are wealthier and have better standard of furniture which they update more frequently than other places in Sydney. Sounds cheeky I know; but it is true.

Just like the Red Cross Charity Shop at Avalon Beach is quite famous for designer clothes. All the rich matrons in Palm Beach and surrounds drop last seasons designer gear off there, and you can pick up some amazing bargains.

I never had time to do an arrival report, but will sometime. (ben here nearly 3 months)

I'd say Sydney is great city, and had soem great areas, but they aren't immediately obvious. round Town Hall and the immediate CBD is pretty crap, but you don't need to go far to find the good stuff:

Darlo

Surry Hills

Paddington

The Rocks

Crow's Nest

Kirribilli

Woolloomoolloo

Inner East

Eastern Burbs

Randwick

Rosebery

Centential Park

Loads around the Inner West

Newtown etc

Then if you head out to Northern beaches, further up the north shore

Especially Manly, Curl Curl, freshwater, Collaroy, Narrabeen and further north

Or south - Bundeena is lovely

Cronulla

I have only been here 3 months, so feel i am only just getting started

But the actual CBD around Wynyard etc is just a load of business buildings. It's just not fun.

I never had time to do an arrival report, but will sometime. (ben here nearly 3 months)

I'd say Sydney is great city, and had soem great areas, but they aren't immediately obvious. round Town Hall and the immediate CBD is pretty crap, but you don't need to go far to find the good stuff:

Darlo

Surry Hills

Paddington

The Rocks

Crow's Nest

Kirribilli

Woolloomoolloo

Inner East

Eastern Burbs

Randwick

Rosebery

Centential Park

Loads around the Inner West

Newtown etc

Then if you head out to Northern beaches, further up the north shore

Especially Manly, Curl Curl, freshwater, Collaroy, Narrabeen and further north

Or south - Bundeena is lovely

Cronulla

I have only been here 3 months, so feel i am only just getting started

But the actual CBD around Wynyard etc is just a load of business buildings. It's just not fun.

I worked near Wynyard station for 23 years. Had a two minute walk to catch the train. Very handy. Some good little eating places around there but dead on the weekends.

We have just kitted out a new rental from scratch on the cheap [...]

I have just joined Trash Nothing and thought the North Sydney area and St Ives groups would be good for the reasons you've mentioned (ie, nice stuff!) and also are the closest. As soon as we're in, a big trip to Kmart and Target will be in order and I've also been picking up some small bits and pieces from Woolies at Town Hall, which has a pretty good household section. I'm the pleased owner of their 'essential' kettle and toaster @ $10 each! We'll get some nice things but most will be on the cheap or second hand / begged / borrowed, I suspect.

IKEA also well worth it.

We hired a Go Get car, you can pick them up in Chatswood - then it's quite near to Rhodes Ikea.

When we got here we bought some stuff from second hand shops. It was Ikea stuff, and was twice the price of the new items in Ikea. So sometimes 2nd hand is a rip. Although you get 'feel good' about your purchase when you get stuff from Vinnies.

We also joined that Trash nothing.

there are also numerous facebook groups and Gumtree. The FB groups usually means having to watch things as they go straight away.

Car wise we got one for $5000 from some car auction place out Blacktown way. It's not a flashy car, but it's decent enough and gets us about. Car Auctions.net in Chullora. Grab a banger :) he he

IKEA also well worth it.

We hired a Go Get car, you can pick them up in Chatswood - then it's quite near to Rhodes Ikea[...]

Yes, someone I work with (lives in Balmain area) is a great advocate of Go Get, so I'll definitely look into that, as the mandatory visit to Ikea (at least once and then again to pick up a missing part or such like...) will be on the cards soon. Jury is out about an actual 'full time' car but we'll see how it goes.