Four months in - much overdue arrival report!

vickyplum

I’ve been meaning to write an arrival report for ages now, to hopefully go some way to repaying some of the advice that’s been given to me on this forum over the past couple of years…

Flights – my partner left the UK before I did, to do some travel as I finished up my notice period at work. I flew Cathay Pacific, premium economy to Sydney via Hong Kong. We spent a week in Hong Kong and Taipei, which sadly coincided with a lot of bad weather towards the Philippines, so it was raining most of the time. But it was a good (ie, bearable for me) temperature because of that.

I like Cathay but still find the premium economy seats to be uncomfortable on a long haul trip, and there’s still the problem of scrambling out over your neighbour, if you are in the window seat. But they were a good price (1600 GBP return) and I’ll be using the return part of the ticket to go back to the UK in May 2016. Ideally I’ll upgrade but will see how much it costs.

I was overweight with my luggage but wasn’t charged extra and no comment was made (both in London and HK).

Bank account – I opened my account with CBA from the UK. When I arrived in NSW, I went to the branch that I nominated, to pick up my debit card. I got the usual sales pitch for other products but that’s to be expected, and not too much of an impost. No hitches at all and I’ve just got a CBA credit card as well, which was approved almost immediately and sent out in a few days. I’ve got a fairly generous credit limit as well.

Tax return – had to do my first tax return almost as soon as I arrived (started work on 9 June). I used H&R Block to complete the return, as I thought it might be complicated due to having arrived from the UK. Turns out I could have done it myself but it was good to have peace of mind and I also got a refund (due to overtaxing on my first salary payment).

Superannuation fund – to make life easy, I joined the super fund offered by my employer.

UK finances – I still have a small amount of money in my UK bank account, which I use now and again and also have some payments made into. I’ve also kept one of my UK credit cards, as it doesn’t incur overseas transaction charges and is useful for internet shopping from time to time. Both accounts are registered to my parents’ address. I still have two pension funds (NHS and private) and they also have my parents’ address assigned to them.

Medicare – as I’m on a 309 visa, I’m classes as a visitor, for Medicare purposes. All this means is that my card has a short expiry on it. I applied for the card at my local service centre, and received the number immediately (the process took about 15 min). The card then followed approx. 1 week later.

Health insurance – my partner and I have taken joint BUPA health cover, including hospital but no extras. I’m still confused by the mass of different options, but don’t have the inclination to explore it at the moment…

Work – I was lucky enough to be offered a role starting immediately, covering maternity leave. The salary isn’t quite what I was looking for, but it’s about the same as my UK salary so I can easily live on it. My contract was due to end in November and has been extended to February, so provides a little more financial security over the Xmas period.

Accommodation – we are fortunate enough to have been able to stay with my father in law from arrival until now. My partner started work at the start of September so we are now in a position to get a place in Sydney (currently in Wollongong so a bit of a commute!). We are due to move to Chatswood next week, in a 2-bed apartment, which will put us in a good position for catching the train to work and the commercial / food-related delights that Chatswood has to offer.

We’re lucky – in a funny sort of way – to have come from London where rents are roughly the same for what we’re looking at now. My share of the rent is the same proportion of my salary as it was in the UK and my partner’s will probably be slightly more, as he’s now earning less as a permanent employee (he was a contractor before).

Culture / Australians / Australia – I haven’t found this to be much of a struggle so far, but with our long commutes, there hasn’t been much time for after work drinks or doing stuff outside of the weekends.

I love the coast and inland areas of south NSW and the harbour / waterside areas in Sydney are just lovely. I don’t rate Sydney particularly highly, and I think the water setting is something that sets it apart from being a fairly average low/medium rise city. Yes that are some nice areas (and plenty that I haven’t seen yet) but there is so much sprawl and areas devoid of anything interesting, that I struggle to see it as a ‘world city’. I don’t want to sound disrespectful about a city that is still very new to me, but that’s my feeling on the subject thus far. But I look forward to exploring more once we are in our new home and taking the time to visit different areas.

I can’t say I find the Australia people to be amazingly different from any other people I’ve met around the world (they are good ones / bad ones / chatty / quiet etc). They are a diverse bunch, represented by cultures and backgrounds that come from different parts of the world, with a good dollop of Asian influence.

I struggle with the AFL / sports ‘culture’ but then I had no interest in sport previously so not a big shock.

TV – terrible. When I look forward to seeing ‘New Tricks’ I know there’s something wrong… News reporting is pretty shocking as well. There are a few things I watch but otherwise my viewing is pretty low.

If anyone has questions about a specific item or area I might be able to help with, please let me know! Happy to help if I can.

Edited by vickyplum

Pretty comprehensive! I've not taken out health insurance which I keep meaning to do. I just pay cash or bulk bill.

Spent 10 000 on ops last year but over the six years I've been back premiums would have been that??

I need it though.

Yes, if nothing unexpected turns up health-wise, I'm sure cheaper not to buy the insurance and just pay for the occasional GP trip / medication - but that's the gamble - relying on good health is not a good idea, despite what we might hope for, or cough up the premiums. It needs a lot of thinking about which I can't be ar*ed with at the moment - but will get around to it one day!

Yes, if nothing unexpected turns up health-wise, I'm sure cheaper not to buy the insurance and just pay for the occasional GP trip / medication - but that's the gamble - relying on good health is not a good idea, despite what we might hope for, or cough up the premiums. It needs a lot of thinking about which I can't be ar*ed with at the moment - but will get around to it one day!

It's just that in UK I never thought about medical insurance but the public health system here is much like NHS? If you have emergency you are done otherwise you wait?

I am going to take it out tho.. My brother had dental implants 30 000 but got 12 000 back still seems dear.maybe I got figures wrong.

I had hernia done 4 weeks after seeing GP because I paid for it.

We still haven't taken out private health insurance but will get round to it one of those days. I had my gall bladder out a few years ago. Felt really ill - went to doc - scan done - into hospital two weeks later - gall bladder out - all at no cost. On the whole we are very healthy - don't take any medication at all but you never know what's around the corner.

In case no one has mentioned it, suggest you get ambulance cover.

Edited by ramot

We still haven't taken out private health insurance

I don't have it either. I did take it out about twelve years ago when all that hoohaw surrounded it. It cost me $100 a month. And then my very first claim was rejected as the fund argued that I had a pre-exisiting condition. And my second claim was rejected too for some other reason. So I cancelled my fund and never had one since. I think it makes more sense to put $100 a month into a bank account that earns good interest like ING and use that as private emergency health fund.

I don't have it either. I did take it out about twelve years ago when all that hoohaw surrounded it. It cost me $100 a month. And then my very first claim was rejected as the fund argued that I had a pre-exisiting condition. And my second claim was rejected too for some other reason. So I cancelled my fund and never had one since. I think it makes more sense to put $100 a month into a bank account that earns good interest like ING and use that as private emergency health fund.

That's a good point and one to ask the funds if I do decide to take out insurance. It's also essentially what I do now, using my savings to pay for any health care Medicare does not cover. And the same as I did in the UK, eg going to private dentist as I do here. No NHS dental care in OZ of course.

Are there tax benefits from taking out insurance?

What if I needed operation far more expensive than my $9 000 hernia last year? I could have waited for it to be done in the public system but it was nice having it done four weeks after diagnosis by my GP, ie referral to surgeon, ultrasound, operation.

On my cruise this year I took out travel insurance and the $200 I paid to see ship's doctor was not covered, but if I'd been knocked over by car as nearly happened in Noumea I would have been covered for weeks in hospital there. I know in OZ, apart from ambo, most work in hospital would have been done for free.

If insurance is not necessary, then why does anybody take it out?

If you put in a uk tax return you can get the tax back you paid there as well for the tax year until you left.

A few pounds for spending money when you go back next may....

Oh I did that already :) Completed the form P85 (leaving the uk) and got a fair whack back - helped by my employer over deducting tax a few months before I left...

Pretty comprehensive! I've not taken out health insurance which I keep meaning to do. I just pay cash or bulk bill.

Spent 10 000 on ops last year but over the six years I've been back premiums would have been that??

It may be too late to do it now. My oh has never had health insurance either - has saved him a fortune in his lifetime, I'm sure! However he has needed a couple of ops recently - his cataracts, and plastic surgery for a skin cancer scar - so he started to think he might need it now he's older.

The provider won't charge you extra for your age - but you will have to pay a Loading, which is an extra 30% of the premium, because you didn't take out health insurance when you were younger.

He's decided just to start a "health fund" of his own by putting money aside.

Most people take out health insurance because the health insurance industry has done a great job of scaring people into it.

Edited by Marisawright

It may be too late to do it now. My oh has never had health insurance either - has saved him a fortune in his lifetime, I'm sure! However he has needed a couple of ops recently - his cataracts, and plastic surgery for a skin cancer scar - so he started to think he might need it now he's older.

The provider won't charge you extra for your age - but you will have to pay a Loading, which is an extra 30% of the premium, because you didn't take out health insurance when you were younger.

He's decided just to start a "health fund" of his own by putting money aside.

Most people take out health insurance because the health insurance industry has done a great job of scaring people into it.

I agree with you. Like your OH is planning to do, we had our own "health fund". Paid for one son's braces and all of the family dentist bills. Now that I need glasses, that too. OH doesn't need them yet.

I have never had private health insurance in my life, I've never had to wait an inordinate amount of time for any treatment. It's a huge con to be honest.

Not if you get slugged by medicare surcharge.

Not if you get slugged by medicare surcharge.

That's partially true, but for some people, the Medicare surcharge is a lot less than the health insurance would cost. Each person has to do that calculation for themselves.

The Health Funds know this, which is why they all offer a very basic health cover which is designed purely to satisfy the tax man, not to give you adequate coverage:

http://www.hif.com.au/health-insurance/hospital-cover/make-a-tax-saving/default.aspx

Edited by Marisawright

That's partially true, but for some people, the Medicare surcharge is a lot less than the health insurance would cost. Each person has to do that calculation for themselves.

For us it was just never economically viable or necessary. I understand some visa's have certain restrictions, stipulations ?

I’ve been meaning to write an arrival report for ages now, to hopefully go some way to repaying some of the advice that’s been given to me on this forum over the past couple of years…

Flights – my partner left the UK before I did, to do some travel as I finished up my notice period at work. I flew Cathay Pacific, premium economy to Sydney via Hong Kong. We spent a week in Hong Kong and Taipei, which sadly coincided with a lot of bad weather towards the Philippines, so it was raining most of the time. But it was a good (ie, bearable for me) temperature because of that.

I like Cathay but still find the premium economy seats to be uncomfortable on a long haul trip, and there’s still the problem of scrambling out over your neighbour, if you are in the window seat. But they were a good price (1600 GBP return) and I’ll be using the return part of the ticket to go back to the UK in May 2016. Ideally I’ll upgrade but will see how much it costs.

I was overweight with my luggage but wasn’t charged extra and no comment was made (both in London and HK).

Bank account – I opened my account with CBA from the UK. When I arrived in NSW, I went to the branch that I nominated, to pick up my debit card. I got the usual sales pitch for other products but that’s to be expected, and not too much of an impost. No hitches at all and I’ve just got a CBA credit card as well, which was approved almost immediately and sent out in a few days. I’ve got a fairly generous credit limit as well.

Tax return – had to do my first tax return almost as soon as I arrived (started work on 9 June). I used H&R Block to complete the return, as I thought it might be complicated due to having arrived from the UK. Turns out I could have done it myself but it was good to have peace of mind and I also got a refund (due to overtaxing on my first salary payment).

Superannuation fund – to make life easy, I joined the super fund offered by my employer.

UK finances – I still have a small amount of money in my UK bank account, which I use now and again and also have some payments made into. I’ve also kept one of my UK credit cards, as it doesn’t incur overseas transaction charges and is useful for internet shopping from time to time. Both accounts are registered to my parents’ address. I still have two pension funds (NHS and private) and they also have my parents’ address assigned to them.

Medicare – as I’m on a 309 visa, I’m classes as a visitor, for Medicare purposes. All this means is that my card has a short expiry on it. I applied for the card at my local service centre, and received the number immediately (the process took about 15 min). The card then followed approx. 1 week later.

Health insurance – my partner and I have taken joint BUPA health cover, including hospital but no extras. I’m still confused by the mass of different options, but don’t have the inclination to explore it at the moment…

Work – I was lucky enough to be offered a role starting immediately, covering maternity leave. The salary isn’t quite what I was looking for, but it’s about the same as my UK salary so I can easily live on it. My contract was due to end in November and has been extended to February, so provides a little more financial security over the Xmas period.

Accommodation – we are fortunate enough to have been able to stay with my father in law from arrival until now. My partner started work at the start of September so we are now in a position to get a place in Sydney (currently in Wollongong so a bit of a commute!). We are due to move to Chatswood next week, in a 2-bed apartment, which will put us in a good position for catching the train to work and the commercial / food-related delights that Chatswood has to offer.

We’re lucky – in a funny sort of way – to have come from London where rents are roughly the same for what we’re looking at now. My share of the rent is the same proportion of my salary as it was in the UK and my partner’s will probably be slightly more, as he’s now earning less as a permanent employee (he was a contractor before).

Culture / Australians / Australia – I haven’t found this to be much of a struggle so far, but with our long commutes, there hasn’t been much time for after work drinks or doing stuff outside of the weekends.

I love the coast and inland areas of south NSW and the harbour / waterside areas in Sydney are just lovely. I don’t rate Sydney particularly highly, and I think the water setting is something that sets it apart from being a fairly average low/medium rise city. Yes that are some nice areas (and plenty that I haven’t seen yet) but there is so much sprawl and areas devoid of anything interesting, that I struggle to see it as a ‘world city’. I don’t want to sound disrespectful about a city that is still very new to me, but that’s my feeling on the subject thus far. But I look forward to exploring more once we are in our new home and taking the time to visit different areas.

I can’t say I find the Australia people to be amazingly different from any other people I’ve met around the world (they are good ones / bad ones / chatty / quiet etc). They are a diverse bunch, represented by cultures and backgrounds that come from different parts of the world, with a good dollop of Asian influence.

I struggle with the AFL / sports ‘culture’ but then I had no interest in sport previously so not a big shock.

TV – terrible. When I look forward to seeing ‘New Tricks’ I know there’s something wrong… News reporting is pretty shocking as well. There are a few things I watch but otherwise my viewing is pretty low.

If anyone has questions about a specific item or area I might be able to help with, please let me know! Happy to help if I can.

Apart from the harbour setting and beached I have always been very underwhelmed by Sydney. Would agree it can't claim to be a world city. as most of is as you say, "an urban sprawl" with little of real interest.

If insurance is not necessary, then why does anybody take it out?

I think insurance is necessary. I just choose not to do it.

Try to keep myself as healthy as possible for now. When I am older I will probably take it out.

Really resented paying $100 a month and having my claims rejected for trumped up reasons.

I would take out travel insurance if traveling overseas especially to somewhere like the USA who have the most horrific medical costs.

Any medical things I need doing in Australia; I just pay it from my emergency health fund.

Apart from the harbour setting and beached I have always been very underwhelmed by Sydney. Would agree it can't claim to be a world city. as most of is as you say, "an urban sprawl" with little of real interest.

Bit like any other large city with over 4 million inhabitants.

Yes it is pretty bad.

Although one thousand times better than it was 20 years ago. At least now you can get Foxtel or download overseas shows which you could not back then.

SBS has the best shows. Some really good cooking shows on SBS like Food Safari, and I think the ABC is pretty good too. Not as good as the BBC granted but still good.

The other channels like WIN are tragic.

I don't watch the news hardly at all because the readers sound like they are addressing the audience as five year olds.

I have never heard it called a "world city". Maybe the tourist board call it that. But they are hardly going to promote it as a backwater now are they!

Having lived in many world cities myself; it cannot compete in those terms.

But it is the favourite city I have ever lived in.

It has an urban sprawl of course. But it has the most wonderful little secret spots that make it a magical place to live.

Every single morning just on our daily commute to work, we remark to each other how beautiful the scenery is - and that is after 20 years. Never fails to lift my spirits; especially in summer.

Then again I have always chosen to live in pretty parts. If I lived in the urban sprawl out West; I doubt I would feel the same way.

I think insurance is necessary. I just choose not to do it.

Try to keep myself as healthy as possible for now. When I am older I will probably take it out.

I'm not sure if you're planning to stay in Australia long-term - but if you are, you need to be aware that "waiting till you're older" can cost you a LOT of money. If you don't start paying health insurance when you're 30, when you try to take out a policy later, you'll be charged an extra loading.

My oh has never had private health insurance - he's now 60 and looked into getting a policy. He would be charged 66% extra on the premium!

Most health funds have a very basic cover that's really just for tax purposes and to avoid the loading - it doesn't cover very much.