ACECQA successful/unsuccessful assessment.

Selina Smith

I am an early years teacher from the UK, I currently work in a school with children age 3-5. I have a PGCE in early years and a positive assessment from AITSL, my 189 application has been submitted and we are awaiting a case officer.

While all of my certificates and transcripts are down from the loft I thought I'd start having a look at collating what I need to register as an early childhood teacher in Australia. I understand to work in this sector I need to register with ACECQA and they require experience with children aged 0-2. The UK does not offer this in their PGCE. I can arrange some volunteer work at a local nursery in their baby room (this needs to be a minimum of 10 days). I contacted ACECQA to ask of this would be sufficient to cover the 0-2 component of assessment. They replied very quickly and this is what was written.......

'Early childhood teaching qualifications must include curriculum and professional experience that covers the age range from birth to five years of age* (including transition to school). Qualifications that cover the age range from birth to eight years are preferred.

* ACECQA will consider evidence of the following to satisfy the specific birth to 2 years old age focus requirement:

• significant work experience with children aged birth to 2 years old

• the completion of an approved diploma

• the completion of relevant ‘non award’ unit(s).

In your email you request whether volunteer experience would meet the birth to 2 years age focus requirement. ACECQA does not have guidelines on whether or not this meets the guidelines. Significant experience would be required. It is also worth noting that whilst volunteer experience may meet the practical requirement, this would only support your application if the curriculum content of your qualification also covered birth to 2 years'

So my problem is that my degree wasn't in early years (it was animal science) so I haven't got practical or theoretical experience with 0-2 at this level. I do have a City and Guilds level 2 in children and young peoples workforce which covered childcare from 0-16 but I don't know if this will count for anything.

I really want want to continue working as an early childhood teacher at the moment I think I would be assessed as an early childhood educator which would mean a significant drop in wages and longer hours working in private daycare.

Does anyone have experience with ACECQA and their assessment of overseas qualifications? Can I do a top-up type course that includes 0-2 experience?

Any by help would be really appreciated. Selina x

• 1 month later...

Selina! Hello!

I have spent hours searching this (again) and seems like its only me and you who have these questions! Surely someone else has been in this situation! Please let me know if you have made any progress on this! Looks like everything else is going to plan though :)

Hi! How's everything with you? Is your new AITSL application in? We have uploaded everything so just waiting for a decision now! Very scary!!!

Yes this whole ACECQA thing is doing my head in, think I'm just going to have to pay the money to get assessed and see what they come back with. I did randomly find a 1 year course in Perth for primary teachers wanting to retrain in Early Years but it was about £7000 dollars!!!!!!! Definitely won't be able to afford that when I move over. I also saw on another thread through google that ACECQA had told someone they could do two relevant units to cover the theory side of things but I don't know if you can go to a Uni and request to do just 2 units???? Fed up!! X

Yes, the new application is in so now we are playing the waiting game....again!

Eeek! That's so exciting, please keep me posted!

Wow, that's a lot, not sure I want to teach that much to pay out all that! I don't think it is that much to get it assessed. My first degree is on there list but its diploma level, and then there is Warick Uni PGCE listed at the same level. Hopefully if you send all the info like you did for AITLS it will pass. I'm lucky that I have found you, as it seem like no one else has gone down this route before! Where abouts in Oz are you planning on moving too? Xx

Really hope your AITSL is successful!!

My biggest issue at the moment is that I have no experience working with children age 0-2 and in the email they said the experience needs to be 'significant' whatever that means!! I found this old thread on another site but it hasn't been updated, seems like they were in the same position as us http://britishexpats.com/forum/immigration-visas-citizenship-australia-32/early-childhood-teaching-803731/page2/

We are thinking of moving to Perth but it's not set in stone yet. How about you?? Xx

I know - I hope it does! Will be gutted to pay and wait all that time and it fail again! Once is bad enough but twice would be a right kick in the teeth!

Hmm...I'm hoping that my first degree with count has I had a placement with the little ones for quite a while and Uni have done a letter with the amount of days on. Did you have to do a Nursery placement at all on your course - We had to do 5 days right at the beginning - if you did, could you jazz it up to sound more than it was? We are the same, Adelaide is our first choice but we will go where we can get work, my husband is a primary teacher (KS2) so we will go where he has better chance of getting a job. They definitely don't make it easy for us! x

• 2 weeks later...

I need some advice. I am in my 2nd year of teaching but am currently on maternity leave, I have requested to return to my current school in January as part time because the cost of childcare will eat up the majority of my wages. My request was denied :-( now I have until Monday to tell my school if I will be returning to work in January full time or leaving completely. I have been in touch with a supply agency who say they can definitely get me work 3 days a week. Have worked out that doing 3 days on supply would be better for me financially compared to working full time and paying for childcare full time but the work isn't guaranteed and I don't get paid during the holidays. I also need to consider what will be best when it comes to registering as a teacher in Australia. I'm thinking all of the form filling and requesting references would be easier if I have been at the same school since the start of my career but with supply I may be able to get experience with children age 0-2 which will cover some of the requirements for registration with ACECQA but this won't pay as good a wage as supply in a school and we are desperately trying to save for our move. Any advice on what would be the best course of action?????? Thanks xx

Hi Again, I am not sure I am able to help but I applied to ACECQA and was given Diploma level as I didn't demonstrate 0-2 at initial teaching level or work. I asked them what I could do to address that issue and the suggest looking at university/online courses which retrained teachers. As you have already demonstrated the cost can be quite large, but as a PR residents you would be entitled to a commonwealth supported place which reduces the cost, and then you would also be entitled to a HECs or HELP (1 is a loan, paid back through wages and the other is a reduction if you pay each module in full, again this can reduce the modules to about $600 each. Worth considering if you need to retrain or get something for the 0-2 years.

MY advice (What ever its worth) would be to submit everything you have got including the assessment from AITSL recognising the same paperwork as an Early Years Teacher, and see what they give you. You will get a recognised qualification which will enable employment (plenty in early years esp at diploma level), use the teaching qualifications to gain your teaching qualification in which ever state you live in. This will be the cheapest of all the assessments, but employment can be hit or miss depending on state, suburb etc. This will enable plenty of employment opportunities and allow you to take time in deciding.

As for the paperwork required (I am not sure if they chased up referees) but NSW needed recent referees, so it may be better to stick with you current position, unless you want employment in 0-2. I am happy to help with any questions you have. I am in NSW, and am not sure how other states do things but I can ask other teachers I know, and get better advice for you.

Good Luck with everything.

Hi Again, I am not sure I am able to help but I applied to ACECQA and was given Diploma level as I didn't demonstrate 0-2 at initial teaching level or work. I asked them what I could do to address that issue and the suggest looking at university/online courses which retrained teachers. As you have already demonstrated the cost can be quite large, but as a PR residents you would be entitled to a commonwealth supported place which reduces the cost, and then you would also be entitled to a HECs or HELP (1 is a loan, paid back through wages and the other is a reduction if you pay each module in full, again this can reduce the modules to about $600 each. Worth considering if you need to retrain or get something for the 0-2 years.

MY advice (What ever its worth) would be to submit everything you have got including the assessment from AITSL recognising the same paperwork as an Early Years Teacher, and see what they give you. You will get a recognised qualification which will enable employment (plenty in early years esp at diploma level), use the teaching qualifications to gain your teaching qualification in which ever state you live in. This will be the cheapest of all the assessments, but employment can be hit or miss depending on state, suburb etc. This will enable plenty of employment opportunities and allow you to take time in deciding.

As for the paperwork required (I am not sure if they chased up referees) but NSW needed recent referees, so it may be better to stick with you current position, unless you want employment in 0-2. I am happy to help with any questions you have. I am in NSW, and am not sure how other states do things but I can ask other teachers I know, and get better advice for you.

Good Luck with everything.

Hi Flecks,

I am sure you cant be eligible for HECS unless you are a citizen.

I am an early years teacher from the UK, I currently work in a school with children age 3-5. I have a PGCE in early years and a positive assessment from AITSL, my 189 application has been submitted and we are awaiting a case officer.

While all of my certificates and transcripts are down from the loft I thought I'd start having a look at collating what I need to register as an early childhood teacher in Australia. I understand to work in this sector I need to register with ACECQA and they require experience with children aged 0-2. The UK does not offer this in their PGCE. I can arrange some volunteer work at a local nursery in their baby room (this needs to be a minimum of 10 days). I contacted ACECQA to ask of this would be sufficient to cover the 0-2 component of assessment. They replied very quickly and this is what was written.......

'Early childhood teaching qualifications must include curriculum and professional experience that covers the age range from birth to five years of age* (including transition to school). Qualifications that cover the age range from birth to eight years are preferred.

* ACECQA will consider evidence of the following to satisfy the specific birth to 2 years old age focus requirement:

• significant work experience with children aged birth to 2 years old

• the completion of an approved diploma

• the completion of relevant ‘non award’ unit(s).

In your email you request whether volunteer experience would meet the birth to 2 years age focus requirement. ACECQA does not have guidelines on whether or not this meets the guidelines. Significant experience would be required. It is also worth noting that whilst volunteer experience may meet the practical requirement, this would only support your application if the curriculum content of your qualification also covered birth to 2 years'

So my problem is that my degree wasn't in early years (it was animal science) so I haven't got practical or theoretical experience with 0-2 at this level. I do have a City and Guilds level 2 in children and young peoples workforce which covered childcare from 0-16 but I don't know if this will count for anything.

I really want want to continue working as an early childhood teacher at the moment I think I would be assessed as an early childhood educator which would mean a significant drop in wages and longer hours working in private daycare.

Does anyone have experience with ACECQA and their assessment of overseas qualifications? Can I do a top-up type course that includes 0-2 experience?

Any by help would be really appreciated. Selina x

I am pretty sure you need an early years degree to qualify for Early Years Teacher. I am an ECT in NSW. They are really in demand here. Not sure how the salaries compare to yours but I get $33 an hour. I dont work longer hours being in a daycare centre; My shift is 8-3.30 only spending very little time on work at home because I am the room leader (about 30 minutes a week and only because I want to). ACECQA, I found, just want signed documentation to say you have done what they need. Surely if you can get 10 days volunteer work with written plans etc and a letter from the nursery to confirm this, that should be fine.

I have an early childhood degree from the UK but early years teaching in the UK is from 3-7, but i agree you should at least be able to demonstrate that you have completed 10 days in early years. The answer i got was that i couldn't demonstrate i had studued education from 0-2. Its not very clear until you start the process and have a contact to speak to. I would still try you pay for them to assess each case individually.

I am pretty sure you need an early years degree to qualify for Early Years Teacher. I am an ECT in NSW. They are really in demand here. Not sure how the salaries compare to yours but I get $33 an hour. I dont work longer hours being in a daycare centre; My shift is 8-3.30 only spending very little time on work at home because I am the room leader (about 30 minutes a week and only because I want to). ACECQA, I found, just want signed documentation to say you have done what they need. Surely if you can get 10 days volunteer work with written plans etc and a letter from the nursery to confirm this, that should be fine.

Sound great Roxyroo, would love to work until 3.30! Most days here it's 6.30pm and that's because the caretaker kicks me out!!

Thanks for your advice and you too Fleks. Since I last posted I have received my 189 visa grant (woohoo!!!), handed in my notice at my current job and signed up with a supply agency who have already found me a PPA cover role, 3 days a week which is exactly what I was looking for.

As as far as ACECQA goes I'll just have to get some 0-2 experience then hand everything in. Even if they decide I am Diploma level I'll be able to get a job and that's the most important thing. My daughter will need a nursery place and from the job adverts I've seen so far most daycare centres offer a decent staff discount so hopefully this will offset the drop in wages from a ECT to an ECE.

@SOJ any news from AITSL?

Selina x

I'm a bit confused.....

Have been looking at Early Childhood jobs for Perth in both schools and daycare centres on Seek. Most jobs are saying I need to be registered with TRBWA and have no mention of ACECQA. Do I only need to register with TRBWA or ACECQA as well, or does it depend on the setting? X

• 4 weeks later...

Since I last posted I have received my 189 visa grant (woohoo!!!), handed in my notice at my current job and signed up with a supply agency who have already found me a PPA cover role, 3 days a week which is exactly what I was looking for.

Only just just seen this! Email notification must of gone to junk inbox. Huge congratulations, I'm suited for you! Bet that made Xmas even better! When are you thinking of making the move? And good news on the job over here too! So happy for you :)

My AITLS update- they contacted me on the 11th dec requesting more information from university about my placements, so was a mad rush to get it all before everyone broke up for Xmas. Sent off on the 15th dec and could see on Royal Mail it had arrived on the 22nd but they must of been shut for 2 weeks over Xmas, as only just got an email saying they have it. What is more annoying this email says my 10 week window starts from now! When I am on week 8 of waiting. I'm so fed up of waiting. This is only the first hurdle and we started this the beginning of June! Starting to panic about timescales now.

But your journey does give me hope!

Xx

• 3 weeks later...

Hi all,

I've recently returned from OZ, two year working holiday visa and am looking at going back to uni to study....however am stuck as to what is the best option. I have lots of experience in schools, nanny, after school club in UK and Oz. I want to look for sponsership as a Early Years Teacher. Option 1 is PGCE Primary and Early years (Bath) OR Early Years Initital Teacher Training (EYITT) which seems like a new course here in UK. Help?! please! haha thanks, had enough of googling! x

Hi all,

I've recently returned from OZ, two year working holiday visa and am looking at going back to uni to study....however am stuck as to what is the best option. I have lots of experience in schools, nanny, after school club in UK and Oz. I want to look for sponsership as a Early Years Teacher. Option 1 is PGCE Primary and Early years (Bath) OR Early Years Initital Teacher Training (EYITT) which seems like a new course here in UK. Help?! please! haha thanks, had enough of googling! x

You are looking at a number of years before you can apply, and nobody knows what the visa situation will be by then. Occupations are added and removed from the lists every year. Do what you want to do and if it gives a path to oz, then so be it.

Hi guys, I have a level 3 diploma in children and young people's workforce and half way through my early years degree. I am going to have my level 3 diploma assessed by ACECQA, has anyone else had this qualification assessed and what would it qualify me as? Would I qualify as a early childhood educator?

Guest Unregistered
You are looking at a number of years before you can apply, and nobody knows what the visa situation will be by then. Occupations are added and removed from the lists every year. Do what you want to do and if it gives a path to oz, then so be it.

Thanks for your reply! Both courses are 1 year so would apply next year- but just wanted to know if anyone has completed the EYITT course in the U.K.? Or is pgce better option? X

• 3 months later...
Need some advice.....

For those of you that have had qualifications assessed my ACECQA who certified your documents? I can't find any info on who they think is acceptable.

Thank you x

Hi Selina, I had mine certified by a solicitor last year. 11 Documents certified for £20.

Hi guys, I have a level 3 diploma in children and young people's workforce and half way through my early years degree. I am going to have my level 3 diploma assessed by ACECQA, has anyone else had this qualification assessed and what would it qualify me as? Would I qualify as a early childhood educator?

I had a friend who had her NVQ 3 assessed in 2013. She was then qualified as and early childhood educator. She gained sponsorship as a room leader and is now assistant director after 2 years of being employed by them. They did sponsor her.

I had my NVQ 3 Assessed and Foundation degree in early years (level 5) and I still received diploma level Education and care which is the same as she got. At this level im able to apply for room leader, assistant director and Director positions.

I have just passed a second interview with a company in Adelaide and they are now contacting my references. Fingers crossed

Wow £20 is cheap. I got a solicitor to certify my AITSL skills assessment and at first was quoted £5 per page (this seemed to be the going rate as I called a few places up) but managed to negotiate it down to £50 for 18ish pages. Good luck with the job! Have you applied from the UK? X

Hi, I also have my NVQ level 3 and currently doing the early years foundation degree. You mention that you are able to apply for room leader positions can I ask what visa you are applying for? Is it the regional sponsorship 187 visa? I'm also looking to go down this route and wanted to know if this is the only visa option available. It gives me hope that your friend was sponsored as many people keep saying it's highly unlikely for a company to sponsor you for this position while still in the UK. Where abouts did your friend emigrate too? I'm looking for positions in the Brisbane area