Guest ukbecky

Moving to Melbourne

    Recommended Posts

    Guest ukbecky

    OK, we have read loads of sites and message boards, but here goes - dont shoot me down in flames for asking this!


    My finace and I want to move to OZ. we have about £200,000 equity. No debts, convictions or illnesses.

    We run an internet based business, and can do this from any location.

    Can we move to OZ?? We dont want to have 'other' jobs out there unless we have to, I am an Insurance Underwriter and my fiance is a Plasterer and property maintenance, he also used to be a maintenance engineer, so he would get points for those? But he doesnt want to do that really.


    We wont be a burden on anyone, wont be claiming benifits or such like, we just want to carry out our business, own our own house and do so in a better country than the UK!


    Also, we know someone who runs a similar business in Melbourne, Ive heard of Employee sponsorship. Could he 'sponsor' us to work for him and is this expensive/difficult?


    I will look forward to your thoughts!



    Share this post

    Link to post
    Share on other sites


    Guest trishwasher

    I think you can look into state sponsored visas. they are the ones where having a recognised skill is the key (which it looks like you have). You don't happen to be a hair colourist do you? They get lots of points! has some info. being young healthy non smokers helps I think.

    Share this post

    Link to post
    Share on other sites

    If you husband has the required skills to get a skilled PR visa as a plaster i would definately be going down that route over sponsership. Once granted PR he can then do what he likes not necessarily plastering, you also have much more stability and security than on a sponsership visa. Hope this helps a bit

    Cal x

    If you don't go after what you want, you'll never have it. If you don't ask, the answer is always no. If you don't step forward, you're always in the same place...

    If you get a chance,take it, If it changes your life,let it. Nobody said it would be easy they just said it would be worth it...

    Share this post

    Link to post
    Share on other sites
    Guest Michelle Firth

    Hi Becky


    If you want to e-mail me both of your resumes I'll conduct an assessment of your options.


    Go to


    Kind regards


    Reg Migration Agent 0636086

    Share this post

    Link to post
    Share on other sites

    Create an account or sign in to comment

    You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

    Create an account

    Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

    Register a new account

    Sign in

    Already have an account? Sign in here.

    Sign In Now

    • Similar Content

      • By oliviaaaa
        Hey, my friend and I are both thinking of moving to the bay next year even though parents aren't happy so the won't help us find the information on the bay. We would like to know is it worth it for a year fresh out of school? Can we study there? Is it expensive? Will we find work? Are the bills manageable on a teen wage? Is there financial support there? Is it recommended for two best friends who want out of home?
      • By The Pom Queen
        So you’ve decided to make the move to Melbourne. Whether that’s because you’re studying, got a new job or have simply decided trying to save $7 million for the necessary deposit on a shoebox apartment in Sydney is too much to deal with now, welcome.
        But where do you belong? Which of Melbourne’s tribes will you ultimately claim membership of? Will you be north or south of the river, or (shock, horror) in the west?
        The CBD
        You’re the centre of attention and all the action here, and if you choose to call the Hoddle grid home, you can bet that your mates will want to use your (admittedly tiny) pad as a starting point — or final destination — for a night out.
        Which part of Melbourne owns your heart? And where do you really belong? Photo: Leigh Hennigham
        Sure, you’ll living in a building where you probably won’t know your neighbours, but who does, anyway? And who needs neighbours when you can walk to work, gleefully avoiding peak-hour crushes and copping an elbow to your head when you’re scrambling onto a train into suburbia.
        Plus there’s the added benefit of shopping, dining, drinking and exploring at whatever hour of the day without regard to arbitrary things like “trading hours”.
        Main hubs: Bourke Street, Russell Street, Flinders Street, Spencer Street
        Move here if you like: Not needing to cook at home, a choice of five train stations, small living quarters
        Avoid if you like: Peace and quiet, a backyard, on-street parking.
        City fringe
        The suburbs you call home when you don’t want to live two streets away from the office. You’ll find an ever-growing number of high-rises here, but also cute cottages and a few family-sized homes, which, if your budget will stretch, are worth the investment.
        There’s also kudos from the cool crowd in living in “once-gritty” suburbs that have come good. (You’ll even get these for living in Richmond though it’s been close to three decades since anyone thought Richmond as a whole was gritty.)
        It’s also hard to escape the football influence, with the MCG, Victoria Park and Arden Street all nearby.
        Main hubs: Richmond, Collingwood, North Melbourne
        Move here if you like: Trams, football, Swedish megastores
        Avoid if you like: Being able to drive stress-free, access to the bay, affordable rent.
        The inner north
        Ah, the inner north. Long-term residents will fondly recall the days when it was dominated by Greek and Italian immigrants with small businesses, rather than apartment towers and young professionals with plenty of cash to splash at bars and restaurants.
        But that doesn’t mean the character’s gone altogether. Take a walk beyond the main and traffic clogged thoroughfares and you’ll easily find why so many people are happy to set up home here.
        Plenty of trams and two train lines make this area one the of city’s better for public transport.
        Main hubs: Northcote, Fitzroy, Brunswick
        Move here if you like: A bar on nearly every corner, burgers, being thought of as a cliche by everyone who lives elsewhere.
        Avoid if you like: Being a hipster without prejudice, trams without crowds, getting to sleep at the weekend without the sounds of live music.
        Briiii-ghton, darling, isn’t the only bayside suburb if you love life by the beach. Sure, it’s a main hub, but there’s also Middle Park (if you can afford it) and its sibling, Albert Park (mind the Formula 1 noise each year), and what some might call the most classically Melbourne suburb, St Kilda.
        The moneyed may well have laid claim to this as their patch (anyone for a stockbrokers in crisis polo and picnic?) but more down-to-earth St Kilda and Elwood have some of the nicest places to spend a weekend in the city. It’s a mix of backpackers, students and families.
        Plenty of older style homes and apartment buildings are sharing street space with newer builds, particularly in new money Brighton.
        Main hubs: St Kilda, Elwood, Brighton
        Move here if you like: Beaches, black BMWs and doing errands in your activewear.
        Avoid if you like: Huge shopping malls, hipster coffee on every corner, not being yelled at by soccer mums on the school run.
        The inner east
        Stately homes, ancient railway stations, and a reliable train service all the way through to Box Hill; the inner east is starting to shake off its long-held “boring” image. Sure, you’ll still struggle to find a bar in Camberwell, but Hawthorn is more than coming into its own with a few cool cafes and eateries.
        The Eastern Freeway is still a handsome-looking stretch of motoring pleasure (RIP Doncaster rail proposal), and things do seem a bit more relaxed out this way.
        The biggest fight you’re likely to get into here is with the local heritage group if you put in plans to renovate your house, or, shock horror, propose a subdivision. That and a contest about where to find the best dumplings: the city or Box Hill.
        Main hubs: Hawthorn, Camberwell, Box Hill
        Move here if you like: Sprawling suburbia, council-sanctioned “dry zones” and being able to get a train more than every 10 minutes.
        Avoid if you like: Not having to mow the lawn, live music, terrace houses.
        The inner west
        The inner north you have when you can’t afford the north. These days, you can tell a true inner westie pretty quickly: they’re the ones who don’t moan about only having a couple of bars to choose from in each suburb.
        Footscray market is still one of Melbourne’s best and cheapest shopping hubs, while Williamstown, referred to by some locals as the “Toorak of the west”, retains its long-held allure. It’s the only place in Melbourne where you can find a Toorak-style house for nearly half the price at a similar distance to the city.
        Quieter suburbs in the middle — Seddon, Spotswood, Newport … oh sorry, I’ve just ruined it for the few people left who thought these places were undiscovered gems.
        Main hubs: Yarraville, Footscray, Williamstown
        Move here if you like: Boutique cinemas and shopping, truck fumes, venues the rest of the city won’t travel to
        Avoid if you like: The north v south debate, not crossing an enormously tall bridge most days the week, trams that run direct to the city.
        The outer north
        Anything north of Bell Street is now firmly in the sights of home-hunting hipsters and developers targeting hipsters who can’t afford the inner west. Thomastown and Glenroy residents, you’ve been warned.
        Expect to find plenty of older detached, brick veneer homes on large blocks here, and, further north, lots of house and land display villages. As the city sprawls, this is one spot where the government’s finding more room for the thousands moving to the city each year.
        It’s also ripe for some creative minds; Broadmeadows in particular is coming in for plenty of attention and funding.
        Main hubs: Reservoir, Broadmeadows, Craigieburn
        Move here if you like: Diverse dining and language options, the opportunity for a swing set in the backyard, being able to maybe afford a house.
        Avoid if you like: Not getting held up on the Ring Road every day, boutique shopping.
        Next exit on the M80.
        The outer south-east
        If you can’t have bayside proper, there’s always the south-eastern bayside, but you’ll pay for it in your commute. Further inland, other suburbs boast plenty of expansive hills at the edge of the Dandenongs, but you might find yourself limited when it comes to options for dining out. 
        Main hubs: Cranbourne, Frankston, Narre Warren
        Move here if you like: Hills, trees, being far from the city
        Avoid if you like: An easy drive to work, nightlife.
        The outer west
        Long derided as the arse-end of Melbourne, no thanks to the Werribee sewage plant (a good spot for bird watchers, incidentally), the outlying western ‘burbs have of late become more attractive for savvy investors and first-home buyers. New train stations and services have helped but it remains to be seen if the confidence is matched by price increases.
        Werribee Mansion and the open range zoo are some of the unsung heroes of Melbourne, and living here, you’re just a hop, step and a jump away. Again, a lot of older-style houses, new builds, new estates — and the occasional, ahem, owner’s vision homes — are what you’ll find here.
        Main hubs: Werribee, Laverton, Point Cook
        Move here if you like: Long bus trips, potential renovation projects, African animals not far from home
        Avoid if you like: Being close to the action (Pacific Werribee aside).
        Calm down: it’s only a matter of time before Sleepy Hollow is part of the metropolitan boundary proper. Yes, it’s a city of its own with its own council, but many Melburnians are taking the reasonably short trip down the freeway to escape soaring house prices and the suburban crush.
        Plus, with a few new industries emerging and a growing foodie and arts scene, Geelong is emerging as a viable alternative.
        Main hubs: Ryrie Street, Newtown, the Princes Freeway
        Move here if you like: Floating Christmas trees, cool new libraries, staying out of Melbourne
      • By Arron Martin
        Hi, my names Arron, 27. Moving to Melbourne at the end of October with my partner and our dog on a de-facto partner visa so luckily don't need to worry about work visas as such. 
        I've worked for British Gas for the past 9 years as a gas engineer- servicing and repairs. Just hoping for a little advice/guidance from someone who has already been through the process of getting skills assessed and finding gas work in Australia. How was it/ what are the differences/ any tips please?!
        Thank you 
      • By SinCityDex
        Hi guys,
        Long story short. I moved to South Oz from Cornwall in 1992 at age 11 with my parents. My parents moved back in 2005 for work. I stayed - had a girlfriend (became my wife)/was @ uni, then I started a career......I had a very traumatic experience @ work in 2014 which destroyed my mental health, career and marriage, all no fault of my own; i've been heavily depressed and anxious for the better part of 2 years. I had a little boy with my wife (currently separated) who is 3. I have 1 Bachelor of Psychology degree, a Masters in Social Work and a Masters in Marketing, so i've got a wide net for employment. Right now i'm self employed, making TV commercials, graphic design - all media stuff.
        I live alone now and can't see myself ever being happy again, BUT, when I think about my family (mum/dad/brother/niece/cousins/friends etc etc) and Cornwall I get a strong sense of connection/hope and love; something i've been lacking for a few years now. My choice, which feels like Sophie's choice is this:
        1. Stay in Oz for my son. I will have a relationship with my son but everything else will be pretty grim, especially when my wife moves onto the next guy, and i'm around to see my son living with him. 
        2. Move back to Cornwall and have a big family again, start afresh etc. Try and find a way of keeping my son in my life - Skype, holidays etc. 
        So the choice is either to remain in Oz completely unhappy with the exception of my son, or move home to Cornwall where I have a sense of identity, family, a sense of community and belonging - something Australia doesn't really have. 
        I guess i'm putting this down on virtual paper because I want to see what other's think of this - all opinions are fine. Please don't kick me while i'm down. If you knew the traumatic event that started everything you'd understand. I'm not one of those dads who wants to leave his son. I don't at all, but I also don't want to die alone in a country that isn't 'home', and continue being miserable. I've been trying to get better for 2 years now but the only light I can ever see at the end of the tunnel is Cornwall. 
        Anybody had a similar experience?
      • By MWatson
        If you are making the move to Melbourne you should be aware of the fact that public transport is the most convenient way to get around the city. Melbourne is becoming increasingly popular as a city to migrate to and it is busy! With a population of over 4.5 million, it has been predicted by the Bureau of Statistics that Melbourne’s population could almost double by 2056, meaning that it may overtake Sydney in becoming Australia’s most populated city. So, you need to think smart when it comes to travelling around Melbourne.

        Pick up a Myki Smartcard:
        If you want to travel at ease in Melbourne, the best thing that you can do is purchase a Myki smartcard. With the Myki card, you can get around on trains, buses, and trams, completely
        hassle-free. Another thing you might need to consider is purchasing a Myki Explorer Pack when you arrive. You can purchase this pack from various spots including the SkyBus terminals at Melbourne Airport, Southern Cross Station, and at Melbourne Visitor Centre in Federation Square, as well as at many different hotels. This explorer pack costs $15 and includes a $9 credit amount, the concession card costs half the price and comes with a card which is topped-up with $4.50. This fantastic travel pack provides you with all of the travel necessities including; useful information for the first-time visitor, maps, and a ready to go Myki smartcard. In the information pack it will remind you of important ‘must-do’s’ such as remembering to tap-on and tap-off each time you board a bus, train, or tram. The Myki Explorer kit is also available to purchase as three different options, you have the option of Full Fare; this is for those who are 19 years and over and are not entitled to concession, the Myki concession card; for people including pensioners and students, and the Myki Child Card.
        Public Transport Victoria (PTV):
        PTV (Public Transport Victoria) Hubs will provide you with all the information you need for getting around Melbourne and these hubs are situated in various different locations across the city. You can also download the PTV app for both iOS and Android and on the app you can access all public transport information including service times, journey planner, as well as different Myki card top up locations.

        Trains, Buses and Trams:
        As regards to the trains, buses and trams in Melbourne, they all run at frequent hours and offer a convenient and reliable service. In particular, the train and tram services in Melbourne city operate all week, including Sunday, running from early in the morning right through until late at night. The bus routes are also reliable and frequent, offering services seven days a week, until 9pm every night. At weekends (Friday and Saturday nights), there are also late night buses, as well as the Night Network operating late night trams and trains.
        Another great aspect of the trams is the ‘Free Tram Zone’. This is an exclusive service that runs in the CBD and Docklands areas of Melbourne. Since the beginning of 2015, as long as you are making your journey within the assigned zones, it is a free service! This means that you are not required to tap-on with your Myki card, so you end up saving yourself money for more travel time in Melbourne!