Youth Worker wanting to migrate - job/visa prospects in NT?

jodipodi

My heads telling me to just do it....but inside I'm freaking out.... I need to keep reminding myself that it's perfectly normal and expected to feel anxious about it all. I think if I wasn't there'd be something amiss.

Youth work is scarce in the UK, funding cuts allover for the wrong things.

There are jobs allover on Seek but I guess when I weigh it up, yes... That makes sense - more jobs possibly in large cities but obviously more people to fill them too...whereas I suppose in NT it's likely to be harder to find skilled Youth workers and hopefully more likely to gain sponsorship, although quite possibly still difficult to get that anywhere.

So, is his job on the list for sponsorship everywhere?

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No, certainly not.. I just meant there are jobs allover Australia.

I can't actually remember at the moment where his job is on what state list... Ill double check them all, I've looked at lists and possibilities til I go cross eyed these last couple of years....I think it's NT that we determined was looking most favourable though for visa options if I remember rightly.

No, certainly not.. I just meant there are jobs allover Australia.

I can't actually remember at the moment where his job is on what state list... Ill double check them all, I've looked at lists and possibilities til I go cross eyed these last couple of years....I think it's NT that we determined was looking most favourable though for visa options if I remember rightly.

I just checked and Youth Worker is on the CSOL. Here is the breakdown of which states he could go for, not much choice by the looks:

https://www.anzscosearch.com/411711

Perhaps South Australia would be a good option. Youth Worker isn't on the main list, but it is IF you've worked for 6 months in a regional area - which he could do on a WHV:

http://www.migration.sa.gov.au/skilled-migrants/state-nominated-occupation-lists

Seems to me SA has more populated areas so more places he could find work than either NT or Tasmania.

Edited by Marisawright

Hi all.....after reading this thread I am now really wondering if NT is the place my hubby is most likely to gain employment?!!

Thought it was a good bet??!....http://www.pomsinoz.com/forum/northern-territory/241918-racist-work-ethics-nt.html

Jodi your situation is nothing like the one described on the other thread. For starters your husband has qualifications and a skill in demand. I understand why you are nervous but don't let the issues experienced by unskilled workers influence your thought processes. The only take home message I think you should take from the other thread is that your husband should do his homework about the jobs his is applying for and he should prepare for any interviews he is invited to attend.

How do I search for 'youth worker' on that list Marisa? It won't allow me to.....?...he has positive skills assessment as Youth Worker xx

Do you mean the first link I gave you or the second?

The first link, the search is already done - just scroll down the page.

The second link (South Australia) - click on the "Supplementary Skilled List" tab. Then scroll down to 41 - Health & Welfare Support Workers and click on it, it will open up and you'll see Youth Worker is listed, which means it's eligible if he can meet this criteria:

http://www.migration.sa.gov.au/skilled-migrants/nomination-process/skilled-nomination-requirements/currently-working-in-south-australia

I'm not an expert so I may be missing something, but that looks like it would be reasonably achievable. Even if he couldn't get approved based on work during the WHV, he could get employer sponsored and then apply for PR after 6 or 12 months.

Bottom line, there is simply no point in him going to NSW, Queensland, Western Australia or the ACT because even if he could find employer sponsorship, there is NO pathway for that to lead to permanent residency on those states. Unless I'm reading it wrong, I think NT would be off the list too - because unless you're prepared to work in the outback for two years (which is very tough for a family), you can't get PR there either.

Edited by Marisawright

Thanks Marisa, I think originally tje reason we decided on NT was if he got a job he could try and get ENS or 457 and not have to fulfill the strings attached to ENS usually... Advised by our agent... As he already has positive skills assessment, ielts xx

I need to reascertain what the hell we're doing my bloody head is in the shed.

Thanks so much for your help it's great thanks x

Thanks Marisa, I think originally tje reason we decided on NT was if he got a job he could try and get ENS or 457 and not have to fulfill the strings attached to ENS usually... Advised by our agent... As he already has positive skills assessment, ielts xx

I need to reascertain what the hell we're doing my bloody head is in the shed.

Thanks so much for your help it's great thanks x

It's true that if he can get a 457 visa, then his employer can sponsor him for PR in due course without needing to do skills assessment etc - BUT the occupation still has to be on the list and he still has to fulfil the state's criteria, as far as I know.

I think it would be a good idea to post a question under "Migration Issues", asking what visa your oh could apply for and what states would sponsor him for a 190 visa IF he could get a job under a WHV. That way, it's more likely one of the MARA registered agents on these forums will give you expert advice.

I'm just worried about what you're setting yourself up for. He's going on a WHV - that's a year. Then if I'm wrong about South Australia (or if he can't get six months' work in regional SA), he will have to find an employer to sponsor him for a 457. A 457 is just a temp job - it will be a fixed term contract, and in some states that means you'll get no family benefits, you'll have to pay school fees and you'll only get limited medical benefits. On top of that, if his employer suddenly has a restructure (and government depts have cutbacks in Oz too, just like the UK!), if he loses his job then you have a limited time to leave the country or find another 457 sponsor. So you'd still be living with uncertainty and extra costs for a year or two, until the employer will sponsor him for PR.

That seems like a lot to put a family through - especially if it will all be in a remote place, which is possible in the Northern Territory if your only avenue to PR is a Regional visa. The outback has a raw beauty but it is a tough life, desert and snakes and spiders!

I already have a great agent Marisa. I've just gotten myself lost in all the questions I've asked him and avenues I've suggested... The answers are all in my emails so I'm going to go back over them.

He has told me NT is a most viable option so really I should probably go with his advice or I'd be mad xx

I already have a great agent Marisa. I've just gotten myself lost in all the questions I've asked him and avenues I've suggested... The answers are all in my emails so I'm going to go back over them.

He has told me NT is a most viable option so really I should probably go with his advice or I'd be mad xx

At the very least, I'd be going back and asking him to explain again, HOW the pathway to PR would work if your OH goes to the Northern Territory, i.e.

1. Would he be able to qualify for a 489 or 190 straight from the WHV, or would he have to get a 457 (employer sponsored) visa for a few years first? If he had to get a 457, what entitlements would you be able to get as a family and what extra costs would you be up for?

2. If he could only get a 489, what areas of the NT would you be allowed to live in exactly (so you can look them up and see whether they'd be practical for your family to live there)

Agents know it's complicated, having narrowed it down to the NT it's not unreasonable for you to ask him to summarise the situation for you, just to make sure you've got it all right.

Edited by Marisawright

I think it's that he could get 186 straight away without the strings that would usually be attached (or 457).

I'm going to go back through my emails as he has already explained everything- it's me at fault, I've just really got lost in it all.

Thanks x

Not your fault at all, it's all very bewildering isn't it? I'm not at all familiar with the 186 visa, but looking at the immi site, I can't see anything that says it's only available in certain states:

http://www.border.gov.au/Trav/Visa-1/186-

So presumably it's just that the agent feels his best chance of finding an employer would be in the NT.

Very probably Marisa yes, we also won't have the funds required for some other states, we will have money to take just not as much as most require. If he gets NT 186 it negates the need for funds, and I did ask about Perth as a possibility but I know he said along the lines of NT being a good bet.x

Very probably Marisa yes, we also won't have the funds required for some other states, we will have money to take just not as much as most require. If he gets NT 186 it negates the need for funds, and I did ask about Perth as a possibility but I know he said along the lines of NT being a good bet.x

If he gets a 186 it negates the need for funds anywhere, and a 186 is not tied to any state, he could get it anywhere he can find an employer who'd sponsor him. So I'd say he is basing it on the state that would have the best demand for his skills. Which takes us back to your original question!

He may also be thinking that if the 186 fails, at least in the NT there is the chance to apply for a 489 or 190. But that applies in South Australia too I think.

Edited by Marisawright

:laugh::laugh:

I'm not much help to myself at the moment am I?!

Don't worry, like I said the whole thing is extremely confusing at the best of times. A lot of people would've given up by now, you're trying to emigrate via a fairly convoluted route with no guarantees so of course it's going to be tough.

I do think you're entitled to ask him to summarise WHY he's recommending the NT as opposed to South Australia and Tasmania, both of which appear to offer 489/190 as a backup, very similar to the NT.

I once had a very good accountant and he was great at answering my questions, but he had a bad habit of doing just that - answering my questions, but never putting it altogether in a nice, easy to understand table so I could get my head around it. Sometimes these knowledgeable people know too much and expect you to just "get" it!

Edited by Marisawright

Isn't it because his skill would need to be on the sponsorship list whereas it isn't on many?....I'm just waffling on here....I really need to check everything over again.

I apologise Marisa, im just bamboozled right now I need to get it all clear on paper...

His skills are on the CSOL, which applies to the whole country. Then the states decide whether they want to offer state sponsorship. He can only get STATE sponsorship in the NT, SA or Tasmania. But the 186 visa is not tied to any state, at least as far as I can see - just to an employer. But to reiterate - I'm no expert!

Edited by Marisawright