Mornington muddle!

VinnieVanSurfer

Hi all

On here looking for some advice on Mornington and surrounding suburbs. Have decided that the peninsula is the place to be just not sure of exactly where and have a few other questions that some seasoned locals may be able to help with. Firstly Mornington would be our first preference due to the town centre that seems to have a good vibe but also like Mt Eliza and Mt Martha but haven’t spent much time in those areas.

The main concern is secondary schools, first preference would be Catholic but it’s not a must, has anyone got any experience or opinions on the local schools?

Secondly, I have spoke to a few people about Mornington and keep getting told that it’s fine as long as you can live beach side of the highway, which would be great but not within budget. People make it out to be some type of ghetto the other side, is it really that bad?

Finally, what are the main selling points for the area or what makes the area special for you. If you have teenagers what’s it like for them compared to living closer to the City?

Thanks in advance.

To be honest I think I would be bored stiff in Mornington. Nice for an occasional visit but not enough to do there living there permanently.

Where would you be working ? Certainly much to far to commute to the city.

My kids go to high school in Mount Eliza. there are private schools also.

I didn’t think it would be boring, we are currently bored in the outer suburbs! Everything we do now is in relation to the kids sports, soccer and swimming which we can do anywhere, most of our spare time involves going to the beach in Summer and not much during winter. Thought having the town and beach close by would be ideal for us. Wouldn’t be travelling to the City, work is in Dandenong South so about 40 minute drive.

I don't live in Mornington but live 10 minutes away. Not my cup of tea. The reason they say beach side of the highway is that if you live that side your probably will live close enough to walk to Mornington which is helpful if having a nigh out etc . The other side is acres and acres of housing, retirement accommodation and lots of it, industrial and sleeper place I guess. Depends what you like doing age etc. Friday and Sat nights very late is the time the young ones are out and about and like Uk and any other place lots of booze, clubs, queues etc.

I love living on the Peninsula but when I moved here we had two small children and it suited us very well. 30 years on its changed a lot, not my part but Mornington certainly. Mount Martha is sometimes confused as Mornington as they meld together and Bentons Road is the defining road between Mornington and Mount Martha. Bentons Square is just in Mornington.

Padua is the catholic high school and St McCartans is one of the primary schools. Padua has another campus at Tyabb which is popular these days.

I like to visit the big smoke but a visit is enough, its also changed a lot in 30 years and not in a good way.

Most of the population on the Peninsula would be from British, Italian or Dutch people. Hard pressed not to hear a British accent around here.

Teenagers well moving over is difficult in teenage years as they have make new friends and some find it easy others find it hard depends on who they are. There is the beach, there is sport and sport and sport, there is the Peninsula Youth Orchestra. There are lots of other high schools around and when 18 they all head to Mornington Main Street for fun.

If you are going to live the other side you will need two cars to get around and you will have to call one mums or dads taxi if you have teens.

I live on the peninsula, we rented in Mornington and Frankston South and now live in Moorooduc on acreage. We love it. We are close to the Peninsula link which gives us access further down the coast to Dromana, Rosebud, Sorrento but also everything city bound, just a 45 minute drive away.

Daughter went to Padua College, a catholic school and did well. They are not the highest in overall academic achievements but we have no issues with them. Daughter was in top 6% in state for Year 12 results. Bus links around are ok once you get used to them and the train to the City starts at Frankston so most of the time you can get a seat :) You do need a car and we did do a lot of taxiing of our daughter for a while until she got her Ls and Ps. But most of the time she was pretty self sufficient in getting herself about. She started Uni this year and drives up when she needs to. Its really only when they get that bit older that living in the "sticks" becomes more of an issue as their uni friends are dotted around the state.

Mornington, Mt Eliza and Mt Martha can be expensive for rentals for nice houses but depends what you are after. Living Beach side just means the house prices are more expensive!!

We love living here. Mornington is nice to visit and walk down the high street every now and then or to sit outside one of the restaurants and have lunch or a drink. Rarely go to Mt Eliza but then we are busy renovating so time is a premium. Beaches are lovely and the coastline is stunning.

Make sure you explore the surrounding suburbs before deciding where to park yourselves. There are school bus routes which cater for outside of the Mornington/Mt Eliza suburbs and we came to realise that actually its not that far out going a bit further.

Just to add I worked in Dandenong itself and found it easy to get to work and back. Drove Dandenong Hastings Road, living in Somerville we are very close to it. Also very close to the Peninsula Link so very easy for us transport wise and we also have the train so the kids did use that a bit.

Thanks for the replies. I have been recommended Padua by some people at work so will check it out in more detail. Will need to take a look at the housing in each of the areas and see what we can get for our budget. Good to hear Petals, I think the commute would be fine. We have looked at Knox and the East in general but would really like the coast if possible.

• 1 month later...

In the 3 years we've been in Oz, we spent the first two in Mornington (renting) and the last one in Mt Eliza (bought a house). In all that time our kids went to Mt Eliza Secondary. Having now had a chance to drive around much of the eastern/south eastern part of Melbourne through work, shopping and sightseeing, we are so glad we chose to live in the Mornington/Mt Eliza area. If I had the cash to afford living in the inner East, then 'maybe' I would consider moving, to be nearer to the facilities that the city has to offer, but otherwise you will not get us to move away form this area now.

All of Mornington, Mt Martha and Mt Eliza are highly liveable areas in my opinion and I simply do not agree that you have to live beachside of the Nepean, unless of course you want to pay over the odds for a house. You are paying a totally unnecessary premium for location and can get far more for your money on the other side of the Nepean. There are only a very few parts of Mornington that some people would consider less desirable areas to live. Most would put the Tanti Estate into this category .... but even that area isn't anywhere near as bad as parts of my former home-town Sheffield. Our first rental was in Tanti (for 3 months after arrival) and we had absolutely no problems during our time there. There are loads of affordable areas to live in Mornington, especially around the Bentons Square Shopping Centre. We rented near Bentons for 18 months and really liked the facilities this area offered. There is a very high concentration of Poms in this area .... which is good or bad, depending on what you want.

As far as the towns go, I think all three have their own strengths and weaknesses, but all have a nice beachy vibe and can buzz in summer. They do get busy with tourists at times, but for good reason. Personally, I don't find the crowds oppressive, even in the height of summer. Loads of restaurants and cafes spilling onto the street by day and then pubs/clubs by night (Mornington only). Police have a heavy presence on Mornington Main Street at weekend evenings, which does keep a lid on any potential problems. We also love going out in Mt Eliza, which has a nice "villagey" feel and has a good number of restaurants/cafes/bars for such a small area. On a sunny afternoon during summer, the cafes/bars are nearly always busy even on a mid-week evening. Mt Martha has probably the least going on in the evening.

Finally schooling. Assuming you are not interested in the various private schools in the area, then your choice is between the two State schools (Mornington and Mt Eliza) and one Catholic school (Padua, nr Mornington). We know students who go to all three and generally the comments on all are OK. You pay slightly more for Padua, but I don't think the results are much better than the two State schools. In deciding between the State schools, I would say that Mt Eliza shaves it on the academic performance (which is possibly getting better with the new Principal), but Mornington does better on the extra-curricular activities (school sports etc). Our kids came over to Oz aged 15 and 13 and both have made good friends and very much enjoying life. Daughter loves the fact that she can go straight from the classroom to the beach with friends during summer and does this quite a lot. I don't think either would say they find this area boring and I am always taxi-ing them to something (there are buses too!).

Anyway, plenty to choose from depending on what you like most out of life. If you need any more info, happy to give an opinion

We moved to Somerville when our children were at primary school and they went to top Tyabb Primary and then across the road to Flinders College. We always meant to move back closer to the city when they got to high school age but we loved living here so much we could not move back. Of course we live on acreage so its not like living on small land. My husband died a couple of years ago and I still live at the same propety albeit I have had it landscaped to make my life easier as a widow. I would not move unless they carried me out of here. I can walk to the shops, my neighbour walks her children to the catholic primary school and walking distance to the high school, doctor, tennis club and everything else. Could not get this lifestyle anywhere else these days.

I know the Peninsula like the back of my hand all the dirt roads and little streets around Red Hill and its wonderful, never tire of driving around the Peninsula. My husband was a cyclist and he used to cycle down to Flinders and around the Peninsula all the time.

Lots of very friendly people. I find Mount Eliza and Hastings the best to visit for traffic both places people always stop for pedestrians even when they are not supposed to. Mornington they try and mow me down.

I go to Mount Eliza a lot as its close to us and as has been said we love to sit at the cafes and admire the dogs etc.

• 2 weeks later...

Good post by Blade 17. Tanti was maybe undesirable years ago but its ok now. I live just on "wrong" side of the highway in Mornington, moved here 4 years ago from Knox & is best move we ever made. Mornington. Mt Martha & Mt Eliza all great areas.

Good post by Blade 17. Tanti was maybe undesirable years ago but its ok now. I live just on "wrong" side of the highway in Mornington, moved here 4 years ago from Knox & is best move we ever made. Mornington. Mt Martha & Mt Eliza all great areas.

Thanks Bordy, I have a found that most people I have spoke to about living in the area say the same thing, 'best move we ever made' and 'wouldn't live anywhere else'. When talking to people from other areas they all have good reasons for living there but not many say they would never consider moving. That's what we are looking for, somewhere that we would never want to leave.

Just to add when you find the right place on the Peninsula stay there because that is what most people do who have great property. Its funny the same houses in our area come up for sale all the time. I have grown old with so many people around here, its funny as I knew them in all stages of their lives. We just stick.

Just to add when you find the right place on the Peninsula stay there because that is what most people do who have great property. Its funny the same houses in our area come up for sale all the time. I have grown old with so many people around here, its funny as I knew them in all stages of their lives. We just stick.

Thanks Petals, going to take our time and not rush into anything. Its a big decision making the move, seems bigger than moving here in the first place for some reason. Think its because the kids are older and secondary schools are being considered!

I think the Peninsula is a good place for retirees.

Not as good for young adults and teenagers.

It is a hell of a long way from civilisation (aka the city).

I wouldn't live there as too far away but it is nice to visit.

I get what you are saying and I suppose everyone knows what best suits them and their family. I grew up in a costal town that was also a retirement and tourist area and didn’t miss not having a city close by, actually regarded it as a bonus. Depends on your priorities I guess but would regard it a better lifestyle than living in the City.

• 2 months later...

Hi vinnievansurfer , how are things going now ? We moved to Mornington 3and a half years ago and love it . We wouldn't move from the area . Kids are primary school age 7& 11 ( eldest going to Padua next year) . If need any advice on the area , let me know . All the best

• 1 month later...
Hi vinnievansurfer , how are things going now ? We moved to Mornington 3and a half years ago and love it . We wouldn't move from the area . Kids are primary school age 7& 11 ( eldest going to Padua next year) . If need any advice on the area , let me know . All the best

Thanks for the reply. Unfortunately we are not moving to the area. I give it my best sales pitch but my wife doesn't want to leave our current area and she is the one that would be impacted the most with travel to work etc. Will have to make do with drives down at the weekends!

• 2 years later...