What's my chances/options?

bluerob

Hi all,

New to forum so hello. I've been using the site for a while for information, so no doubt my questions have been asked before but my circumstances differ from everyone else.

So basically I want to move to Oz, I've done the online assessments etc, all seems ok but it doesn't answer if I can actually get a visa or not.

So my situation, I'm 31, too old to do the 2 year working visa. My mother & step dad live about an hour away from Adelaide on a plot of land and built a house, they are both now Australian residents. I work as a motorcycle mechanic in England and have done for 3 years but I don't have the qualifications that are required. I am a certified Motorcycle MOT tester, and I also have a degree in Journalism. But I want to stay in as a bike mechanic.

Ive contacted 1st contact, but they have not come back to me with an appropriate option, they said I can still go on a 1 year working visa and then apply for another visa whilst there, but that would cost me an astronomical amount.

I can possibly have a job offer as well. If it is required my mum can get me a job.

So is there an option for me that doesn't cost the earth? So I've got parental support, 3 years of experience in the required field of work I want, I'm a UK resident since birth so my English is good, I have no ties to the UK, no kids etc. The only thing I don't have is a motorcycle mechanic qualification but is experience enough? I want to move as soon as I can but I don't want to do a college course in mechanics that would take a further 3 years.

Ive had enough of the UK, and want out!

Google 'Australia SOL immigration' and 'Australia CSOL immigration' and see if your profession is on either list.

If it is, you can qualify for a skilled visa (SOL) or state sponsored (CSOL) skilled visa.

If your profession is not on either list, then no options on skilled.visa front that I'm aware of.

Visa is expensive again google is great for finding this information out.

If you get stuck, you'll save yourself a lot of agro by getting yourself a MARA migration agent for advice.

Good luck

Hi all,

New to forum so hello. I've been using the site for a while for information, so no doubt my questions have been asked before but my circumstances differ from everyone else.

So basically I want to move to Oz, I've done the online assessments etc, all seems ok but it doesn't answer if I can actually get a visa or not.

So my situation, I'm 31, too old to do the 2 year working visa. My mother & step dad live about an hour away from Adelaide on a plot of land and built a house, they are both now Australian residents. I work as a motorcycle mechanic in England and have done for 3 years but I don't have the qualifications that are required. I am a certified Motorcycle MOT tester, and I also have a degree in Journalism. But I want to stay in as a bike mechanic.

Ive contacted 1st contact, but they have not come back to me with an appropriate option, they said I can still go on a 1 year working visa and then apply for another visa whilst there, but that would cost me an astronomical amount.

I can possibly have a job offer as well. If it is required my mum can get me a job.

So is there an option for me that doesn't cost the earth? So I've got parental support, 3 years of experience in the required field of work I want, I'm a UK resident since birth so my English is good, I have no ties to the UK, no kids etc. The only thing I don't have is a motorcycle mechanic qualification but is experience enough? I want to move as soon as I can but I don't want to do a college course in mechanics that would take a further 3 years.

Ive had enough of the UK, and want out!

Having family in Australia is not a great deal of help to an adult migrant, it may have some limited help for some but not much.

Would your mum manage to secure you a job as a motor mechanic? Getting you a job in the local corner shop isn't going to help, it would have to be a job that you have a track record in, but if she can help you with contacts and put in a good word then yes that could be useful.

However first of all you need to work out if your occupation is one that is eligible for a work related visa to Australia. I am sure mechanic is, but not sure if motorcycle mechanic makes any difference. So first step is to go to the immigration websites and check the SOL and CSOL to see if your occupation is on there. Maybe do that and let us know what you find.

Thanks for the replies. Motorcycle mechanic is listed as a occupation both on SOL & CSOL.

Do I still qualify for a visa if I have been working as a motorcycle mechanic for 3 years but without any qualifications?

An my mum knows the 2 local dealers quite well so she can try & get help from there to fulfil any visa requirements.

Thanks for the replies. Motorcycle mechanic is listed as a occupation both on SOL & CSOL.

Do I still qualify for a visa if I have been working as a motorcycle mechanic for 3 years but without any qualifications?

An my mum knows the 2 local dealers quite well so she can try & get help from there to fulfil any visa requirements.

No, you would need actual qualifications I'm afraid. Experience without the qualification doesn't count.

The local dealers wouldn't be able to sponsor offer you a job without the qualifications.

Edited by bristolman

We enlisted a very good MARA agent who is worth their weight in gold....leaves almost 0% chance for error... And at worst reduces the chance for error significantly.

You do not have to have them through the whole process and can opt for a 'plan of action ' instead so to speak but for us personally, we didn't want to hope for the best from our own digging... We would rather have that added security of an agent.

All the very best to you xxx

Ok, so what if I did a 1 working visa then applied for another visa whilst there? That an option & what visa would I apply for?

I think 30 is the upper age limit for a working visa but not sure what that would accomplish anyway to be honest. To be able to live permanently in Australia you will need to fulfill the visa requirements in which case you would need suitable qualifications. There ae a multitude of visas but not sure any suit your needs but others will clarify.

The equivalent qualification is a NVQ and its a 4 year part time 2 part course. An things can change in 4 years, wanted to see if their was any option for a visa without the qualification and where real world experience would count enough.

I wish there was but they don't make it easy unfortunately. At least you're halfway there - a lot of people have absolutely no hope of qualifying. There's a truckie on this forum whose only chance is to retrain in another trade AND spend years gaining experience, with no assurance the trade he chooses will still be on the list when he's qualified.

I thought to obtain an employer sponsored visa, the employer needs to prove that no one else in the local area could do the job. Without qualifications that's not a strong argument. Obtaining your City and Guilds whilst on the job may be your best option.

There is no requirement for labour market testing for a 457 temporary employer sponsored visa.

I don't feel quite so despondent for OP, I thought people often went for a 457 visa because they don't have the qualifications for skilled migration. I could not state that lack of qualifications is definitely no issue, but I wouldn't rule it out just yet either. A chat with a migration agent might clarify.

The usual warnings about temporary visas apply were a 457 to be secured, of course. Namely that it is definitely temporary and will not magically turn into a permanent vusa after two years.

do you have many other relatives in the uk? i'd have thought since both your parents live in australia you'd be eligible for this, good luck mate.

https://www.border.gov.au/Trav/Visa-1/115-

This visa has more than a 10 year waiting period during which time he cannot have a partner who does not also fit the criteria (ie must either be Australian or have no relatives living outside Australia).....realistically he must remain single unti his mid 40s...not really a realistic option

This visa has more than a 10 year waiting period during which time he cannot have a partner who does not also fit the criteria (ie must either be Australian or have no relatives living outside Australia).....realistically he must remain single unti his mid 40s...not really a realistic option

that's crazy! what's the point in them offering a visa option which is basically unobtainable! just out of interest where is the info on the waiting time for this visa?

It is actually over 50 year wait