Scotland school age for each grade

RMac

Hi,

we are moving to Scotland in a month and as such my 5 year old (born June 28, 2010) will be going straight into school. I originally thought he would go into first grade and be the correct age but then a friend from the UK told me that they start first grade at 4.5 so he will be too old? Any ideas

Also this from wikipedia

Children may start attending nursery as soon as they have passed their third birthday, and progress to Primary 1 in the August of the year in which they turn five. In general, the cut-off point for ages is the end of February, so all children must be of a certain age on 1 March in order to begin class in August. All parents of children born between September and February (i.e. still 4 years old on the school start date) are entitled to defer entry to Primary School if they believe their child is not ready for school. Only children whose birthdays fall in January or February will be considered for funding for a subsequent year at nursery, unless there are special circumstances.

Thank you everyone, we are moving from Sydney in a couple of weeks, probably moving to the Clarkston/Newton Mearns area where my husbands family live. We have a cousin in Ayrshire, it looks lovely and well priced, I think when you come from Australia everything looks well priced. He has been going to part time pre school for almost two years, hopefully he can make the jump to full time school without too much trouble.

Edited by RMac
spell check

Thank you everyone, we are moving from Sydney in a couple of weeks, probably moving to the Clarkston/Newton Mearns area where my husbands family live. We have a cousin in Ayrshire, it looks lovely and well priced, I think when you come from Australia everything looks well priced. He has been going to part time pre school for almost two years, hopefully he can make the jump to full time school without too much trouble.

He will be starting P1, my daughter is a few months younger that your son and she has just started this year. Also P1-3 now get free school meals at school.

Good Luck with the move.

We just moved back a month ago. My daughter left Australua in grade 5 and started P7 here. I think your child will be p1, which appears very similar to the Qld version of prep, so don't fret about them being behind. The Scottish system is quite different to England, etc. so don't go looking girl answers on an English website as it won't apply. All children in P1-3 get free school dinners, and if you are 3 miles from the school get free bus service too.

It it was quite different starting, as in didn't have to buy anything for my children, they were supplied with everything down to pencils and books etc. just had to buy uniform, but it seems every school pretty much wears the same but you may need yo purchase a school jumper.

good luck.