AAT (Accounting Technician)

j19jjr

Guest Laura G

Hi

For Skilled Migration as an Accountant you need to be qualified ACCA or CIMA

I know Universities accept the AAT certificates (Foundation,Intermediate & Technical) and allow RPL points (Prior Learning) against a degree to become qualified.

Best people to ask are the CPA - That is the accounting professional body in Australia

Laura

No you don't Laura. You can also secure a positive assessment as an Accountant if you have an overseas degree in Accounting that is assessed as equivalent to an Australian degree in the same subject, with the required course components.

And the ICAA is our preferred accounting body - not least because I am a Member! :smile:

Best regards.

Guest Pinhead

Skilled migration is based upon a points system, the level of your qualification & education will determine the number of points as well as being on the MODL list. Plus you get lots of points for speaking English and being young!

I suggest you visit the immi website and use the points calculator to determine whether you qualify.

You may still get in on a skilled visa even if you aren't CIMA,ACCA or ACA qualified especially if you are young or have relatives in Oz.

Skilled migration is based upon a points system, the level of your qualification & education will determine the number of points as well as being on the MODL list. Plus you get lots of points for speaking English and being young!

I suggest you visit the immi website and use the points calculator to determine whether you qualify.

You may still get in on a skilled visa even if you aren't CIMA,ACCA or ACA qualified especially if you are young or have relatives in Oz.

Sorry ... maybe I am missing something here ... what occupation are you suggesting the OP nominates for the purpose of a general skilled visa application?

And how will the OP secure the positive skills assessment classification, which is a pre-requisite of all general skilled visa applications?

Best regards.

Guest Pinhead

I wasn't suggesting any specific occupation, but it may be possible to still get a skilled visa if you can obtain sufficient points through other means.

Just being an ACCA accountant for instance may still not be enought to get a visa if you don't have a degree. It really depends on personal circumstances which was why I suggested looking on the points calculator on the website.

I wasn't suggesting any specific occupation, but it may be possible to still get a skilled visa if you can obtain sufficient points through other means.

Just being an ACCA accountant for instance may still not be enought to get a visa if you don't have a degree. It really depends on personal circumstances which was why I suggested looking on the points calculator on the website.

The above comment is also incorrect. With a UK accounting qualification (eg ACCA, ACA, CIMA) you do not need a degree to secure a positive assessment from the ICAA as an Accountant.

And:

- you are not required to have a degree to obtain a general skilled visa

- there is no point looking at skilled migration points calculators if you cannot secure a migration skills assessment classification from the relevant assessing body

Please try not to give false hopes - and ensure advice is accurate.

Best regards.

Guest Laura G

Hi Alan,

Sorry

Maybe my post was not clear, when I referred to a degree, I mean't she could receive RPL points against study in Australia if she decided to go forward for a bachelors in Accounting, I have a friend who is studing a 3 year degree at CQU and she used her AAT certs to be able to fastrack the degree to 2 years.

The point about skilled migration, I meant it's better to gain the 60 point occupation if you are a qualified Accountant and points make prizes :biglaugh:

I hope that makes better sense!!!

Laura

Guest Pinhead
The above comment is also incorrect. With a UK accounting qualification (eg ACCA, ACA, CIMA) you do not need a degree to secure a positive assessment from the ICAA as an Accountant.

And:

- you are not required to have a degree to obtain a general skilled visa

- there is no point looking at skilled migration points calculators if you cannot secure a migration skills assessment classification from the relevant assessing body

Please try not to give false hopes - and ensure advice is accurate.

Best regards.

'With a UK accounting qualification (eg ACCA, ACA, CIMA) you do not need a degree to secure a positive assessment from the ICAA as an Accountant. '

That statement may be correct regarding getting classified by the assessing body but in order to obtain sufficient points to qualify for a skilled visa you may still need a degree if you are above a certain age. Merely being a qualified accountant (ACCA,ACA,CIMA) does not guarantee you being awarded a visa not withstanding the health/police checks.

The point I was making is that it isn't clear cut.

Guest Pinhead

When I applied for my 175 visa (as an accountant) you received points for your education/qualifications, using your qualifications in your employment for last X years (experience), age & ability to speak english.

You received less points if you didn't have a degree than if you did (60 vs 40 I think?).

I had to supply all the transcripts of my degree course to ensure that I qualified for the points. If it was merely on the ACCA qualification they would not have asked for them. I don't recall whether I sent the transcripts to the CPA or immi.

Accountant wasn't on the MODL list in 2003 and so at my age 30-34 I didn't qualify without having a degree.

If this has changed since 2003 I apolgise for misleading people. Perhaps I'm just getting old and confused!

When I applied for my 175 visa (as an accountant) you received points for your education/qualifications, using your qualifications in your employment for last X years (experience), age & ability to speak english.

You received less points if you didn't have a degree than if you did (60 vs 40 I think?).

I had to supply all the transcripts of my degree course to ensure that I qualified for the points. If it was merely on the ACCA qualification they would not have asked for them. I don't recall whether I sent the transcripts to the CPA or immi.

Accountant wasn't on the MODL list in 2003 and so at my age 30-34 I didn't qualify without having a degree.

If this has changed since 2003 I apolgise for misleading people. Perhaps I'm just getting old and confused!

- You would have applied for a subclass 136 visa in 2003. Subclass 175 replaced it from 01/09/2007.

- Unless your application was a unique case, or the DIAC case officer was not experienced, I think it improbable you would have received less points simply for not having a degree under subclass 136. Rather, I can only think this was an issue of claiming points for Specified Work Experience, and the case officer being concerned you were not working in a "skilled" capacity.

Best regards.

Guest Pinhead

I never had direct contact with a case officer regarding my application requesting additional information only to say that they'd received it.

I applied to the accounting body to get qualifications approved including transcripts. Received clearance and then sent my application into immi with everything else.

The next thing I heard was that I was approved and that I should arrange a medical.

If I remember correctly there were two accounting bodies in Australia that you applied to get your qualifications approved. One suggested if you had a degree & other if you didn't.

Perhaps the distinction was to ensure the body with the most experience in your circumstance vetted your application rather than the number of points?

Anyway apologies for any confusion caused.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest derek10rr3
'With a UK accounting qualification (eg ACCA, ACA, CIMA) you do not need a degree to secure a positive assessment from the ICAA as an Accountant. '

That statement may be correct regarding getting classified by the assessing body but in order to obtain sufficient points to qualify for a skilled visa you may still need a degree if you are above a certain age. Merely being a qualified accountant (ACCA,ACA,CIMA) does not guarantee you being awarded a visa not withstanding the health/police checks.

The point I was making is that it isn't clear cut.

Hello,

I was wondering if anyone knew if having an ACAA/CIMA qualification from the UK at the very least, would lead to some university credit for an Australian degree?

Worst case scenario, one could always finish a degree before migrating, and I wondered if having a UK Certification would knock some time off a degree?

Thanks.

Guest derek10rr3
With a UK professional qualification such as the ones you mention you can reasonably anticipate a positive migration skills assessment.

Are you looking to study in Australia as a UK qualified accountant?

Best regards.

Yes Alan, I am wondering if by being a uk qualified accountant, can I still study to become a chartered accountant in Australia?

Will my qualifications give me some credits for an Australian degree?

Guest Pinhead
Yes Alan, I am wondering if by being a uk qualified accountant, can I still study to become a chartered accountant in Australia?

Will my qualifications give me some credits for an Australian degree?

When I got my skills assessed by accounting body in Oz (positive outcome) I was informed that I could become a member of the Oz institute and be able to practice as an accountant if I passed exams in Oz law & Oz tax within 5 years of the assessment (I am ACCA member & have a degree).

I have no desire to go into practice so I never took the exams or applied to become a member.

I believe that there are two accounting bodies in Oz that relate to ACCA one focussed towards degree graduates and the other to non degree graduates (certainly that was the way the skill assessments were presented). I would have thought that if you wanted to become a practicing accountant in Oz after you got your visa then it wouldn't be a problem with the later body. I think (it was 5 years ago!) that the CPA is the non degree body, maybe someone can confirm this.

Hope that helps.

Guest derek10rr3

Hello,

Thank you all for your help.

I think ACCA is definitely the route I am going to take.

I am from Canada, but with the acca/cga partnership, it should be no problem getting the practical requirements as I am already working in an organization with many cgas, cmas, etc..

Anyways, does anyone know if taking the ACCA-CAT program is sufficient to receive a positive assessment from the NIA or another accrediting body in Australia?

Or do I need to take the entire ACCA program before thinking about migrating?

Thank you.

Guest Pinhead

Your best bet is get in contact with the Oz professional bodies themselves. The criteria for membership of their body and a positive skills assessment will be similar with the exception of having to take oz tax & law papers to become a practicing accountant.

• 10 months later...
Guest W99TTS
No you don't Laura. You can also secure a positive assessment as an Accountant if you have an overseas degree in Accounting that is assessed as equivalent to an Australian degree in the same subject, with the required course components.

And the ICAA is our preferred accounting body - not least because I am a Member! :smile:

Best regards.

Hi Alan I notice you seem to know alot about the accounting qualifications in Australia. We emigrated in Dec 2008 and I m AAT qualified and have completed the managerial level of CIMA (advanced diploma in management accounting). I still have the strategic level and top CIMA to complete. Since emigrating I have found it very difficult to get work and am therefore currently volunteering in a local accountants. I now wish to complete my studies but I am finding it difficult to find out what my options are. I have emailed the CPA but have not received a clear reply. Can I either complete CIMA then apply for CPA or will I get exemptions from some of the CPA papers? Are there other options. Any help would be appreciated as I cannot get a straight forward response from anywhere. Many thanks Sharon

Hi W99TS,

I am ACCA p/q and also have found it difficult to get clear responses from NIA,CPA or ICAA as to whether I would get any exemptions, and at what level I would be expected to begin studying for their qualification.

This is why as a fall back, I will carry on with ACCA as it is a global qualification and can be studied for whilst in Australia. However, I have read that employers do prefer an Australian qualification which is why I would prefer to do that. From the responses I have had, it seems that I would have to begin all over again and basically use my degree to pass their initial entry requirement. Seeing as I am through 8 of the 14 exams in ACCA, would not wish to do so, so any advice from Alan would be welcome.

Shaz

Hi Alan I notice you seem to know alot about the accounting qualifications in Australia. We emigrated in Dec 2008 and I m AAT qualified and have completed the managerial level of CIMA (advanced diploma in management accounting). I still have the strategic level and top CIMA to complete. Since emigrating I have found it very difficult to get work and am therefore currently volunteering in a local accountants. I now wish to complete my studies but I am finding it difficult to find out what my options are. I have emailed the CPA but have not received a clear reply. Can I either complete CIMA then apply for CPA or will I get exemptions from some of the CPA papers? Are there other options. Any help would be appreciated as I cannot get a straight forward response from anywhere. Many thanks Sharon

Hello Sharon.

My hunch is that your quickest pathway to a professional qualification will be via completion of the CIMA studies, becoming a member of CIMA, and then applying to CPA through the recently established reciprocal recognition arrangements.

I'm not certain though - I would speak with someone at CPA rather than exchanging emails.

Good luck!

Archived