kellyandmartin2015

Moving to Darwin - April 2015

Hi, myself and my partner are due to move to Darwin in April 2016.

any advice that you could give us on settling in/where are the best places to live would be really helpful :)

thanks

Kelly

I love Darwin - how exciting for you

But it is probably a good idea to find out where you will be working.......BEFORE you decide which suburb to live in.

Stay in a caravan park, backpackers hostel or motel when you first arrive for about four to six weeks. Buy a cheap car and tour round. Find jobs and then decide most appropriate place to live based on where your jobs are.

I worked in a motel on the Esplanade and worked odd hours. I did not have a car and did not want to catch the bus late at night to the outer suburbs. So I lived in Lindsay Street which was a ten minute walk away.

OMFG. These baked beans are lethal..............

which areas do you recommend?

I cannot possibly recommend any areas

It has been over 20 years since I lived there

A lot can change in a year; let alone 20

I work more on the "vibe" of a place - rather than nice suburbs to live in

I have a number of friends who have moved from Sydney to Darwin in the past five years and they LOVE it.

Sounds like it has changed a lot with infrastructure; but thankfully it has still retained the same "vibe".

Kelly and Martin - Have you ever been to Darwin? Why did you choose the area?

OMFG. These baked beans are lethal..............

I've lived in Nightcliff (Northern Suburbs) and am currently living in the CBD. The CBD is hands down the better place to live. Public transport in Darwin is woeful and not a lot happens outside of the city!