Travelling alone to Oz early 2016!

Laura

@Ceej1994

Yeah I'll definitely keep you updated with where I'm staying! I was the same, going solo was something I'd never considered but i got fed up of waiting for someone i knew to want to come with me! And I've not had any opportunities for solo travel before so this is all an entirely new experience for me which is really exciting! X

Hey Laura, I'm travelling to Sydney end of January if you'd like to meet up? I'm thinking of doing the Ozintro to help me meet people, as I don't really have a set plan of action once I get there. I was thinking of travelling the east coast for a month and then finding some sort of job, then maybe head to Asia if I've saved up enough money. I'm very flexible though and open to ideas.

Are there any places you would definitely recommend visiting?

Subject to what YOU are personally interested in obviously.

Because not much point me suggesting a beach; if you detest beaches:

NEW SOUTH WALES / ACT:

Canberra

Sydney CBD – The Rocks, The Harbour, The Parks, The Beaches, Fort Denison, and all The Tourist Traps!

I like Balmoral Beach on the North Shore best of all the inner beaches, but most backpackers go to Bondi.

Sydney Surrounds for example:

Palm Beach – sometimes you can see the television show “Home and Away” filming if you are a fan. But if not, it is still a nice place to visit on a day trip.

Pittwater YHA

One of the many National Parks in or around Sydney. You can canoe the waterways in places like Bobbin Head.

Houseboat on the Hawkesbury River

Hyams Beach and Jervis Bay National Park

Lord Howe Island

Norfolk Island

Kangaroo Valley and around the Southern Highlands

The Blue Mountains, Bells Line of Road (quieter and prettier than the horrible traffic jam highway route), the Three Sisters valley walk, the Scenic Railway and Jenolan Caves

Jindabyne or one of the other ski resorts for skiing in winter. The Snowy Mountains are also pretty in summer for horse riding or motor buggy riding or fly fishing.

Barrington Tops

Port Stephens

The Waterfall Way Scenic Drive

Byron Hinterland

QUEENSLAND:

4WD and camping on Fraser Island

Noosa

Sailing in the Whitsunday Islands

Scuba diving on the Great Barrier Reef

Turtle egg hatching, whale watching and rum drinking in Bundaberg. They also have a tomato picking season there from memory

Seventeen Seventy

Wild koalas on Magnetic Island

Stay on Dunk Island or one of the other islands (Heron Island is really nice)

Go whitewater rafting on The Tully River. Mission Beach is normally the connection point for backpacker trips.

Atherton Tablelands

Do a trip with the mail run that covers the outback by plane – see how vast it is

Daintree National Park for Mossman Gorge

Crocodile spotting on The Daintree River

Drive up Cape Tribulation

Cape York to the Tip if you can manage it – you will need to do a 4WD tour, as crocodile infested river crossings abound.

NORTHERN TERRITORY:

Daly Waters

Uluru (Ayres Rock) climb to the top or get a balloon flight over

Kata Tjuta (The Olgas)

Karlu Karlu (Devils Marbles)

Kings Canyon

Mataranka Thermal Springs

Katherine Gorge

Litchfield National Park

Kakadu National Park

Darwin

Bush tucker tour in Arnhem Land – must book as you need a permit to enter the area

WESTERN AUSTRALIA:

King Sound – tides

The Kimberleys – ancient sandstone gorges and aboriginal rock paintings

Bungle Bungles – best seen from the air via helicopter flight

Broome - Staircase to the Moon and dinosaur tracks

Monkey Mia for dolphins

Wildflowers

Wave Rock

Margaret River Wine Region – some of best wine in the world

SOUTH AUSTRALIA:

Adelaide

Coober Pedy – rough as guts but interesting!

Kangaroo Island

VICTORIA:

Great Ocean Road

12 Apostles

Otways Fly Treetops

Phillip Island Penguins

Gold mining

Puffing Billy Train

Wilsons Promontory National Park

TASMANIA:

Cannot comment as never been. But Wineglass Bay area is meant to be really worth a visit for hiking.

Feel like I have forgotten something. But never mind, as it would take you move than a year to cover all these anyway.

Edited by jumpingjellybean

Hey Laura, Stick to the South during the summer months and head north for the winter. Are you looking to work or travel for a bit first? the best way to get around is a Hop on Hop off with Greyhound. you can go for example from sydney to cairns and stop at all the major sights on the way. Where do you fly into? have a look at a gumtree.com.au for information on different jobs like au pair.

@Sam Clapham

Thanks! I'm trying not to plan too much and to just see what happens once I get there! I'm going to fly into Sydney first though as I've found a flight at the right price. Thanks for the advice on the Greyhound buses, I can definitely see myself using them:) And I'll look at gumtree too, thank you!! x

the best way to get around is a Hop on Hop off with Greyhound.

I actually disagree with this.

Greyhound is OK if you want to get from A to B without stopping in the quickest time possible. But long trips are uncomfortable and very very boring.

On a coach you MISS a lot of great places in-between

The best way is by car.

Either buy a cheap backpackers car in one of the main cities. Or find another backpacker who has a car and share petrol costs and/or driving.

• 5 weeks later...

hi when do you leave? i am flying to Adelaide on 19/11/15 will be there for a few weeks visiting a few people i no but after that will be travelling on my own across austrailia. i will be doing the south coast first but i dont have much of a definite plan more just a go with the flow, feel free to message me along to way or meet up at any point as it is a bit daunting travelling alone, i hope you have an amazing time either way :)

I've not anything booked yet and no dates set in stone as I've just started a new job to get enough money and it all depends on the dreaded finances!:( I'd love to meet and stay in contact once I'm there though, it's always easier when you know someone even a little!! If you private message me we can maybe exchange facebooks? :) x

Hi guys, I was wondering if there's anyone on here who has any experience with couchsurfing?

Any tips or advice would be fab, I've been looking into it for a while and it sounds like it could work for me but it's always best to check with people who have done it before ;)

Thanks! x