189 visa lodged September 2015

Selina Smith

Dear All,

NEED HELP

I have filled in the 189 visa application and paid the money in full.

I do have one question, please help me:

1.) Do my wife also needs to do IELTS for the 189 visa application. ( I am not claiming any points from her, and I am the primary applicant and my wife and daughter are migrating along with me)

Please help me.

If your wife has a British, Irish, American, Canadian or Australian passport then she doesn't need IELTS. Unfortunately if she does not hold one of these passports she does have to prove functional English by taking IELTS or the PTE exam. I am worried that you have submitted and paid if this is the case because there is a specific question that asks about your partners English. I would get in touch with a migration agent because you are at risk of having your visa rejected and losing your fee.

• Replies 397
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Dear All,

NEED HELP

I have filled in the 189 visa application and paid the money in full.

I do have one question, please help me:

1.) Do my wife also needs to do IELTS for the 189 visa application. ( I am not claiming any points from her, and I am the primary applicant and my wife and daughter are migrating along with me)

Please help me.

From the DIBP website:

"For applicants who have turned 18 at the time of application and who are assessed as not having functional English the second instalment is $4885. For any other applicant, the second instalment is nil."

So it's not mandatory that she take the IELTS, however there's a $4,885 fee if she doesn't prove functional English http://www.border.gov.au/about/corporate/information/faqs/how-can-i-prove-i-have-functional-english

Edited by MaggieMay24

If your wife has a British, Irish, American, Canadian or Australian passport then she doesn't need IELTS. Unfortunately if she does not hold one of these passports she does have to prove functional English by taking IELTS or the PTE exam. I am worried that you have submitted and paid if this is the case because there is a specific question that asks about your partners English. I would get in touch with a migration agent because you are at risk of having your visa rejected and losing your fee.

Your visa is not rejected if your partner doesn't speak English. There's simply a secondary fee to pay ($4,885 - so worth trying to prove your partner has functional English)

Your visa is not rejected if your partner doesn't speak English. There's simply a secondary fee to pay ($4,885 - so worth trying to prove your partner has functional English)

Thankyou Maggie May,

Considering the situation now as the visa is lodged,

Can my wife give IELTS now or provide a letter from the university stating that the course was conducted in English for the entire duration.

Thanks for starting this thread Selina - my husband and I have also submitted our visa application on the 7th and now eagerly awaiting CO to be assigned! We've frontloaded our application as much as we could - having completed PCC and medicals so we're good to go go GO! Looking forward to hearing how everyone else is getting on.

Hi Apra216 - as far as I know, you can still submit supporting information after your application has been submitted. So you can upload supporting evidence in advance of your CO requesting it (which might result in further delays). I would expect that a letter from the University would be sufficient proof of english functionality.

Thankyou Maggie May,

Considering the situation now as the visa is lodged,

Can my wife give IELTS now or provide a letter from the university stating that the course was conducted in English for the entire duration.

If your wife can do the PTE Academic, the results come through within a day or two, and can be uploaded straight away.

Other than that you will have to obtain a uni letter fairly quickly.

Thankyou for the information you guys - Captain C, Supercow, Bronwen.

Appreciate all this help

Good news is that i have started to arrange a letter from the uni for this particular requirement, will get the feedback by tomorrow and if this doesn't work out we will fill up the IETLS asap before the CO asking for it hopefully.

Thankyou

Thankyou :notworthy:

Thankyou for the information you guys - Captain C, Supercow, Bronwen.

Appreciate all this help

Good news is that i have started to arrange a letter from the uni for this particular requirement, will get the feedback by tomorrow and if this doesn't work out we will fill up the IETLS asap before the CO asking for it hopefully.

Thankyou

Thankyou :notworthy:

As CaptainC said...if PTE A is an option for you (which I'm pretty sure if for secondary applicant regardless of Visa... but worth checking that fact), then I'd strongly advise doing that instead. Not just because of my strong feelings about the subject (see http://www.pomsinoz.com/forum/migration-issues/231707-ielts-v-s-pearson-test-english-academic-pte-academic-my-personal-findings.html ) , but your results will be much faster (2 days VS 2 weeks) and most likely you'll get a spot sooner (IELTS are usually booked up near months in advance in some places)

As CaptainC said...if PTE A is an option for you (which I'm pretty sure if for secondary applicant regardless of Visa... but worth checking that fact), then I'd strongly advise doing that instead. Not just because of my strong feelings about the subject (see http://www.pomsinoz.com/forum/migration-issues/231707-ielts-v-s-pearson-test-english-academic-pte-academic-my-personal-findings.html ) , but your results will be much faster (2 days VS 2 weeks) and most likely you'll get a spot sooner (IELTS are usually booked up near months in advance in some places)

PTA A cannot be given in UAE as far as i know, thus looking at the situation that the visa i applied on 8th of Sept, we have time to go for IELTS if the Plan A ( getting a letter from uni) does not go accordingly.

As long as you have enough points without work experience then you can still get a visa. I haven't claimed any points for work experience as I have been in my nominated occupation for less than 3 years. Where does it say these documents are outstanding? (I haven't submitted my application yet so not sure what happens once you submit everything) x

Thats great to hear thanks Selina. It gives you a list of outstanding documents once you submit the application. I see you've just submitted your application so you can probably see for yourself. I am seeing conflicting reports about how long it takes to get a Case Officer assigned, can anyone give an accurate estimate? Or is it a complete lottery?

Update:

1.) Got the letter from the university for my partner, the letter stating that the study was done in English and uploaded it immediately

2.) Medicals Completed and uploaded

3.) PCC is in progress and will be receiving it by the end of this month.

Wanted help with FORM 80.

Is it necessary to fill form 80 for myself and my partner?

Update:

1.) Got the letter from the university stating the study was done in English and uploaded it immediately

2.) Medicals Completed and uploaded

3.) PCC is in progress and will be receiving it by the end of this month.

Wanted help with FORM 80.

Is it necessary to fill form 80 for myself and my partner?

Looks like it's progressing well.

form 80 can be requested for all or some of the applicants. To be on the safe side, prepare a form each.

Hi Selena,

I see u got ur skills assessed as an early childhood teacher .... I too hv applied for the same (they received my application on the 10th of August and I gt a confirmation email from them on 17th) I keep checking the application status, which is showing ässessment in progress" since last Tuesday. How long did it take for you to receive yours back from them? I am really hopeful but at the same time really scared. I have done a 3 year bachelors degree and a 2 year teacher training certificate which includes 60 days supervised teaching practice. Getting the IELTS score was a big hurdle as the aitsl requirement is quite high for teachers. :cry: I submitted a copy of all attested docs they require... transcripts of degree and ITE, syllabus covered, a letter from the HOD of the education dept of the college regarding the supervised Teaching practice ( as that wasn't specified in my final transcript) and also a letter from my employer stating that i hv been teaching here since 2008.

Hi, I am trying to create my HAPID through the link you provided above. Do I have to complete the health declaration to gain my HAPID?

It is just that it is asking for my old passport details which I do not have. I have spoken to passport office and they informed me that it takes 40 days to receive this information once requested.

I am trying to book my medical and I am assuming I need my HAPID to book a medical?

Hi Selena,

I see u got ur skills assessed as an early childhood teacher .... I too hv applied for the same (they received my application on the 10th of August and I gt a confirmation email from them on 17th) I keep checking the application status, which is showing ässessment in progress" since last Tuesday. How long did it take for you to receive yours back from them? I am really hopeful but at the same time really scared. I have done a 3 year bachelors degree and a 2 year teacher training certificate which includes 60 days supervised teaching practice. Getting the IELTS score was a big hurdle as the aitsl requirement is quite high for teachers. :cry: I submitted a copy of all attested docs they require... transcripts of degree and ITE, syllabus covered, a letter from the HOD of the education dept of the college regarding the supervised Teaching practice ( as that wasn't specified in my final transcript) and also a letter from my employer stating that i hv been teaching here since 2008.

Hi Nicole, it took 13 weeks from them saying they had received it to me getting my positive assessment, it was a long wait! It sounds like you have sent lots of evidence which is great so good luck in getting a positive answer, I hope you don't have to wait as long as I did! There is a thread for teachers in the jobs and careers section called 'teachers in Oz' I've found it really helpful so I'd recommend that you check it out :-)

Emmaloulou when I completed my health declaration it gave me my HAP ID. There is a way of getting one before you fill in your application though. @CaptainC can you help with a link please?

Hi, I am trying to create my HAPID through the link you provided above. Do I have to complete the health declaration to gain my HAPID?

It is just that it is asking for my old passport details which I do not have. I have spoken to passport office and they informed me that it takes 40 days to receive this information once requested.

I am trying to book my medical and I am assuming I need my HAPID to book a medical?

What link are you using to request your HAPID?

Are you doing this before or after you have made a formal VISA application (presume you are talking about a 189)? If you are doing this after submitting your application then you can access your application in your IMMI account and under each applicants name it will have a button to 'Request Medical Details'. You answer a few questions via this button and then you will get given your HAPID and also a formal referral letter, both of which you will need before you can book and/or attend your medicals.

Hi Nicole, it took 13 weeks from them saying they had received it to me getting my positive assessment, it was a long wait! It sounds like you have sent lots of evidence which is great so good luck in getting a positive answer, I hope you don't have to wait as long as I did! There is a thread for teachers in the jobs and careers section called 'teachers in Oz' I've found it really helpful so I'd recommend that you check it out :-)

Hi Selena.... thanx for the quick reply :wink: Did they take 13 weeks because they asked you for additional documents or was it just a delay from their side? Thanx for the info on the group ... I thot I saw it before but not yet in Oz so dint join. I wish u luck ... xxx

Hi Emmaloulou,

You do need your HAP ID before you can book a medical. To obtain one you must complete the health declaration.

I'm confused why you need your old passport number. The passport number must be the same as the one you use as ID for when you attend the medical, so using a passport you no longer have possession of is going to be an expensive mistake as it must be a valid passport. They won't conduct the medical without it. You must use your current passport.