I'm just too Australian

Marisawright

I grew up in Brighton when it was a little less trendy and expensive than it is now. Love visiting, but not sure I could live there now - I'm too much of an old fart. Plus entry level terraces for 600K plus puts it out of reach for most. Living in a rural town with a good commute to Brighton is a good balance. Marisa, why don't you try Exeter if you like it? - My sis has just moved there and loves it - Or if you are a city person, how about Edinburgh??

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

6 weeks here so far, have been in Bristol, Bath, Preston, Nottingham, Boston, plus a couple of villages, can't recommend any of them to you Marisa for the sort of coffee culture you are missing. Bristol and Bath seemed the best of these.

hope that helps to avoid a few more places!!!

off to Cornwall tomorrow, then back to Bristol. been great spending time with grandchildren, and even though I haven't lived properly in UK for 22 years, have visited fairly regularly, old friends have gone out of their way to see us, including a pub lunch in our old village with 11 there. Interesting comment made, that the only time they all get together is when we visit!

Very strange though, I don't feel I belong here, or want to live here, and can't wait to go home.

Not turning this into one of those stupid Oz against UK threads, just know where my home is.

Good for you, Oz is what you prefer and that is what is good for you. its all down to the individual, I could never live in oz as for me the UK offers a far better quality of life FOR ME...we are all different

6 weeks here so far, have been in Bristol, Bath, Preston, Nottingham, Boston, plus a couple of villages, can't recommend any of them to you Marisa for the sort of coffee culture you are missing. Bristol and Bath seemed the best of these.

hope that helps to avoid a few more places!!!

off to Cornwall tomorrow, then back to Bristol. been great spending time with grandchildren, and even though I haven't lived properly in UK for 22 years, have visited fairly regularly, old friends have gone out of their way to see us, including a pub lunch in our old village with 11 there. Interesting comment made, that the only time they all get together is when we visit!

Very strange though, I don't feel I belong here, or want to live here, and can't wait to go home.

Not turning this into one of those stupid Oz against UK threads, just know where my home is.

Exactly how I feel I think, there are places and events in the UK I've enjoyed but that's not the same as feeling at home

Edited by Marisawright

Exactly how I feel I think, there are places and events in the UK I've enjoyed but that's not the same as feeling at home

You have put your finger on it @Marisawright. For some it’s a case of ‘wherever I lay my hat….’ but for the rest of us there is that really hard to define quality or aspect that makes everything click into place. And it’s hard to define because we don’t always know what ‘it’ is until we find it, or perhaps lose it.

Fwiw I would cautiously suggest a trip to Cardiff - as a lovely city it manages to combine the old and new, proximity to the coast, and a waterfront housing cafes, restaurants and the award winning national theatre. It’s a cautious suggestion because in your heart of hearts you may already have decided that home is one place only, or at the very least not in the UK. There’s nothing wrong with that, it just means you may be on something of a fruitless quest as every option will be clouded by that emotion or fact.

Whatever you decide, I hope you can find the missing piece of the jigsaw (great analogy @caramac), although it may depend on knowing which picture is on the front of the box? T x

Marisa said Bournemouth was pretty expensive for rental properties.

Yes, but you also have to remember that economically Australia has some steep hills to climb. Being wealthy always makes a place look rosy. Take some of that wealth away and you start to see the cracks.

Think she tried Bournemouth and didn't like it. To be fair Sydney is always going to be hard to beat as it is like having London on the Sea in the sun.

Much as I love Sydney I think Brighton gives it a good run for the money for stuff to do, lovely restaurants and first class shopping..... although even thru my rose tints, I remember lying freezing under my towel on the cobbles....

I used to feel at home in Vienna when I would visit it in the early 1990s. But that was because I was working in Poland at the time. I'm sure modern day Poland is like any other European country (I haven't been back since 1994) but in those days visiting Vienna was like visiting civilisation. The favourite term of praise of my fellow ex-pats after a trip to Vienna was "it was normal" a term we never used for 1990s Poland (working in "the wild east" was a great adventure though).

You have put your finger on it @Marisawright. For some it’s a case of ‘wherever I lay my hat….’ but for the rest of us there is that really hard to define quality or aspect that makes everything click into place. And it’s hard to define because we don’t always know what ‘it’ is until we find it, or perhaps lose it.

Fwiw I would cautiously suggest a trip to Cardiff - as a lovely city it manages to combine the old and new, proximity to the coast, and a waterfront housing cafes, restaurants and the award winning national theatre. It’s a cautious suggestion because in your heart of hearts you may already have decided that home is one place only, or at the very least not in the UK. There’s nothing wrong with that, it just means you may be on something of a fruitless quest as every option will be clouded by that emotion or fact.

Whatever you decide, I hope you can find the missing piece of the jigsaw (great analogy @caramac), although it may depend on knowing which picture is on the front of the box? T x

You're the second person to suggest Cardiff, which I'd never thought of, so I should have a look! Actually I have no great desire to be near the sea although I do love my river view from my current flat.

I used to feel at home in Vienna when I would visit it in the early 1990s. But that was because I was working in Poland at the time. I'm sure modern day Poland is like any other European country (I haven't been back since 1994) but in those days visiting Vienna was like visiting civilisation. The favourite term of praise of my fellow ex-pats after a trip to Vienna was "it was normal" a term we never used for 1990s Poland (working in "the wild east" was a great adventure though).

Oh Vienna!

http://www.metrolyrics.com/vienna-lyrics-ultravox.html

Actually, Vienna is nice, probably third favouite after Florence and San Francisco.

Oxford and York are both nice. Lots of culture. Great museums, theatre, great architecture and a degree of cafe culture. Both also have great transport to bigger cities.

Don't think you will find what you are looking for in Bournemouth or Eastbourne. I like both places but even in the summer they are not exactly vibrant. Out of season Eastbourne is very quiet.

It is interesting what you say about clicking in a European city. After 24 hours in Berlin we could have moved. Felt completely comfortable in the city just the issue of learning German....