58yrs old Stupid to return to uk?

Guest jaq

Thanks for your concern

It looks as though the extended holiday is the way to go that way neither decision is final and theres nothing like a choice.

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest earlswood
Don't think you're stupid,brave and maybe a little niave,but not stupid.When was the last time you visited UK,recently? The reasons I'm getting out of UK are it's a country I don't want to grow old in,an old man of forty now time to think of these things LOL,don't want my child to grow up in a country where they're either layabout doleys or a wage slave to provide for doleys,damp and cold,not being able to plan anything outdoors except for a few days in advance.Things I'll miss though are the National trust,plenty of pubs in walking distance,corner shops,always bumping into people I know.If you do come here,come for 12months work,travel as much as you can and keep out of the big cities unless youare well armed LOL.Best of luck with whatever you decide,it's your life so you live it,Fred

Brissey...they are all out here...and the big cities have just as much crime and anti-social crap as the UK.....if you are leaving the UK thinking it is much better out here with crime etc you are in for a big dissapointment.

Guest paulwbafc

Hi.

I am doing opposite to you. i feel more at home in brissy than the uk. I was born in the uk but it don't feel like home anymore. Seems like britain is been sold off too eastern europeans and other foriegners. Its not England anymore. Also cost of living is getting hard. The cost of gas and elec is soaring at same rate as petrol. Last year my energy bills were 1200. A 30% rise is forecast if fuel stays at current rate. When oil hits $150 a barrel the fuel bills will be 1500 a year. 2000 quid fuel bills are around the corner. Expect to pay $700 a month for your fuel and council taxes next year. If you can afford that then your welcome to live in browns britain.

Guest earlswood
Hi.

I am doing opposite to you. i feel more at home in brissy than the uk. I was born in the uk but it don't feel like home anymore. Seems like britain is been sold off too eastern europeans and other foriegners. Its not England anymore. Also cost of living is getting hard. The cost of gas and elec is soaring at same rate as petrol. Last year my energy bills were 1200. A 30% rise is forecast if fuel stays at current rate. When oil hits $150 a barrel the fuel bills will be 1500 a year. 2000 quid fuel bills are around the corner. Expect to pay $700 a month for your fuel and council taxes next year. If you can afford that then your welcome to live in browns britain.

I could afford to live quite well in the UK....over here with low wages for artisans and a higher cost of living I have to take another job just to make ends meet:wacko:

Prices are soaring over here as well....I think it is a world-wide thingy.

Hi & Thanks

Have been back once in 76 and once last year only short stays. At nearly 60 I'm not looking for a career or to build an empire just some inner peace, crime and world noneconomy is world wide and no matter where I am I will be in the same financial position so might as well be warm inside hey!

Guest barab
100%, sorry Quoll we'll always disagree.

What do you know your not even here yet.

You should reserve judgment till you experience the boredom for at least a year!!

Guest barab
Hi.

Petrol prices,electricity and interest rates are also soaring over here..

And there is also a lot of foreigners in this country ,so if your feeling a bit xenophobic this isn't the place for you.You'll be one of those foreigners remember!

The privitisation that happened in Britain years ago is starting to take hold over here now.

If you think coming over here will sort out all your worries and woes, just don't be too dissapointed when you see it's the same problems but with better weather.

Guest BRISSYBOUND
Brissey...they are all out here...and the big cities have just as much crime and anti-social crap as the UK.....if you are leaving the UK thinking it is much better out here with crime etc you are in for a big dissapointment.

When where you last home Earlswood? Because it's starting to get really bad in some places,not so much the cities really,they've always been worse, but places that used to be ok and don't worry I know Oz isn't a paradise,I've got rellies who have been out there for fifty years plus and they've been back here several times and can't believe what they see.I know you've got doleys in Oz but not whole estates with generations who can't be bothered to work.Thanks Fred.

PS Hope this isn't considered bashing otherwise I'll be in trouble for picking on you.LOL

Hiya

I think you also need to consider your elderley wealth. Pensions, healthcare etc.

The care for the elderley in the UK aint so great. If you have money/savings then you end up using most of that for care, should you need it in your twilight years.

It seems in the UK if you are a child and left in stinking urinated clothes there would be uproar, but i see it so many times in the elderly. The poor folk with dementia etc... and most bat no more than an eyelid.

I dont know how this compares to Australia! Maybe someone can enlighten me,

I go into many care homes in the UK and most aren't so great, there is the odd exception of course. I know noone wants to think of ever needing one but the inevitable may happen.

Now i know, you're a few years away from this but.....its a consideration one needs to address!!!

Bex

Hiya

I think you also need to consider your elderley wealth. Pensions, healthcare etc.

The care for the elderley in the UK aint so great. If you have money/savings then you end up using most of that for care, should you need it in your twilight years.

It seems in the UK if you are a child and left in stinking urinated clothes there would be uproar, but i see it so many times in the elderly. The poor folk with dementia etc... and most bat no more than an eyelid.

I go into many care homes in the UK and most aren't so great, there is the odd exception of course. I know noone wants to think of ever needing one but the inevitable may happen.

Now i know, you're a few years away from this but.....its a consideration one needs to address!!!

Bex

My 90 year old MIL needed to go into a nursing home - she had to pay up front a bond of $300,000 because she happened to have a home which was counted as an asset - it has left her penniless in all other regards now that she has sold her home- she just has her aged pension which is peanuts. She is one of the lucky ones because she actually got a place in a nursing home. If she hadnt had that money they would have taken pretty much all that she had and taken all of her pension from what I can gather. Heavens forbid that DH and I need nursing homes because we cant afford for two of us to go in!

My 96 year old great aunt was supported living in her own home in UK with 3 or 4 visits plus meals every day until she died. I dont think she would have got that here. My elderly parents are entitled to things that they choose not to take up, still trying to maintain their independence - they dont pay for medical care or prescriptions which we will, as self funded retirees. We will be struggling but not struggling enough to get a state aged pension which is a pittance in any case.

I am not looking forward to an old age here at all. Mind you, I doubt that old age is a picnic no matter where you live.

It sounds similar then in terms of costs.

With reference to care in the home. Its a lottery. It depends where you live as to how much you pay for care in the home.

Most of my patients who want to retain their independence have to pay for it and it again is a lottery with respect to the level of care. Some are put to bed at 5pm because of availablity of carers etc...

I also have patients who are fighting and i mean really putting up a battle to try and get care in the home or nursing/care homes. It isnt easy believe me i see it first hand. Some trusts are better than others.

The level of care in my opinion for those with dementia is pretty poor. Lets face it, its not a nice pleasant easy task caring for these people. Hence noone wants to do it.

What is the quality of care like in Australia?? I guess expensive? But is it good?

Bex

It sounds similar then in terms of costs.

With reference to care in the home. Its a lottery. It depends where you live as to how much you pay for care in the home.

Most of my patients who want to retain their independence have to pay for it and it again is a lottery with respect to the level of care. Some are put to bed at 5pm because of availablity of carers etc...

I also have patients who are fighting and i mean really putting up a battle to try and get care in the home or nursing/care homes. It isnt easy believe me i see it first hand. Some trusts are better than others.

The level of care in my opinion for those with dementia is pretty poor. Lets face it, its not a nice pleasant easy task caring for these people. Hence noone wants to do it.

What is the quality of care like in Australia?? I guess expensive? But is it good?

Bex

Probably not much different - the MIL is in a good place but there is no nurse on the premises, just carers who are mainly Filipinas and whose English is hard to understand if you are an elderly person who is hard of hearing. I suspect that medications are designed to make for compliant residents. With the best will in the world there is always a smell of urine whenever you walk in the door. We looked at a few places when she was about to move and this was the best - some of the others you wouldnt be happy leaving the pet pooch in let alone a parent. Some are good, some are less good I guess. Certainly it isnt a job I would care to do and they have my admiration that they are prepared to front up day after day.

Sounds like its very similar to here then. Yup they do sterling work but they do not pay them anything like enough. May be the care would be better if they paid more

So - the plan is....if you come here, get all your money spent before you loose your marbles and then you'll probably be ok!!!

I wasnt aware you had to pay for medical treatment in Aus as a pensioner?

May as well just shoot myself now!

HI BEX I HAVE WORKED WITH CLIENTS WITH DEMENTIA FOR 16YRS AND FIND THE JOB VERY REWARDING .... THE REASON PEOPLE DONT WANT TO DO IT IS DOWN TO MONEY !!! FORTUNATELY I DO IT BECAUSE I ENJOY IT .... NOT FOR BIG BUCKS !!!

MRS KEILY

HI BEX I HAVE WORKED WITH CLIENTS WITH DEMENTIA FOR 16YRS AND FIND THE JOB VERY REWARDING .... THE REASON PEOPLE DONT WANT TO DO IT IS DOWN TO MONEY !!! FORTUNATELY I DO IT BECAUSE I ENJOY IT .... NOT FOR BIG BUCKS !!!

MRS KEILY

Good on ya!!...not too generalise but the better ones tend to be those who are more experienced at life! and have the "if it was my parents attitude"

One call tell by looking between their toes usually!!!:smile: (the residents! not the carers - some i see have weeks/months worth of nasties in there)

Oh and you should be paid more. If you were there would be more quality people applying to work in these places and hence more choice of good staff

You going to do the same in Oz?

0%

I'm much the same age and been here nearly 30 years and if I wasnt married to an Aussie would be home and happy tomorrow. I know just what you mean about not belonging. I do have family there and friends but even if I didnt, it would be where I felt "at home". All the best with whatever you decide!!!

Hi

Can I ask a question when yoiu return home? how long do you stay for weeks months , if you went how would you provide for yourself seeing a lot of people in uk are struggling with the pensions and are contemplating working to late 60`s. How do you know you would be happy. A lot of people struggling and want to back to uk came on the recce holiday and living here ,the reality is diffewrent. Having been here for 30 yearts onlty going back for holidays tou prob are in the same mindsey. The Uk has changed in 30 years esp in the last 5 years people are feeling alienated in their own country by govt. I used to do a bit of voluntary work for the aged. If you yhink you are isolated a lot of old folk are isolated in the uk. The only social life is going to the daycare centres for friendship but these are closing. Family ignore them,they are scared to go out at night because of the threat of mugging.In the nice friosty winter yhey have to decide sometimes whether put the heating on or food. You have to take the chocolatr box glasses off. and smell the tea

Malx

aka Billy NM

Good on ya!!...not too generalise but the better ones tend to be those who are more experienced at life! and have the "if it was my parents attitude"

One call tell by looking between their toes usually!!!:smile: (the residents! not the carers - some i see have weeks/months worth of nasties in there)

Oh and you should be paid more. If you were there would be more quality people applying to work in these places and hence more choice of good staff

You going to do the same in Oz?

TOTALLY AGREE BEX [bOUT THE TOES ] LOL .... DUE TO NHS CUTBACKS WE HAVE SEVERAL STAFF WHO ARE NOW TRAINED IN FOOTCARE [NOT A BIT OF THE JOB I ENJOY ] :no:... WE SEE A LOT OF STAFF COME AND GO ... YOU EITHER HAVE OR YOU HAVENT .... THOSE OF LEAVE USUALLY GO TO THE LOCAL SUPERMARKET ... WHERE THEY CAN GET PAID MORE !!!

SAYING THAT I QUITE FANCY A JOB IN COLES WHEN I GET TO OZ :biglaugh:$20 /HOUR ... CANT BE BAD LOL

MRS KEILY

Guest KP Nuts
THOSE OF LEAVE USUALLY GO TO THE LOCAL SUPERMARKET ... WHERE THEY CAN GET PAID MORE !!!

SAYING THAT I QUITE FANCY A JOB IN COLES WHEN I GET TO OZ :biglaugh:$20 /HOUR ... CANT BE BAD LOL

MRS KEILY

Can I have one of those please in Coles, our checkout assistant earn about £6.40 per hour.

KP Nuts

Can I have one of those please in Coles, our checkout assistant earn about £6.40 per hour.

KP Nuts

AND YOU GET DISCOUNT KIM .... WHICH WOULD KEEP MR K HAPPY WI HIS BEER AND FAGS :biglaugh: MRS KEILY

AND YOU GET DISCOUNT KIM .... WHICH WOULD KEEP MR K HAPPY WI HIS BEER AND FAGS :biglaugh: MRS KEILY

thats why the checkouts are manned by kids after school and at weekends who has given you this info they are offering mimimum wage fact. pArt of wesfarmers. most are casual with no sick pay or holiday entitlement its called leave loading you are paid in respect of this

Malx

thats why the checkouts are manned by kids after school and at weekends who has given you this info they are offering mimimum wage fact. pArt of wesfarmers. most are casual with no sick pay or holiday entitlement its called leave loading you are paid in respect of this

Malx

INFO WAS GIVEN TO ME BY SOMEONE WHO ACTUALLY WORKED IN COLES !!! .... I HAVE NO IDEA OF HOLS ETC ... IT WAS MEANT AS A JOKE :wacko:

MRS KEILY

INFO WAS GIVEN TO ME BY SOMEONE WHO ACTUALLY WORKED IN COLES !!! .... I HAVE NO IDEA OF HOLS ETC ... IT WAS MEANT AS A JOKE :wacko:

MRS KEILY

Hi Mrs K

I`ll be knocking on their door tomz I`ve been in Perth 3 months or more as Neil knows, the wages are poor for non tradees I am in the wrong place lol for my skills steel industry. I have had a couple of jobs and had ti=o travel. I am on casual (agency) at a sheet metal firm I am on $19.42 hr if taken on permanent $18+ hour (not bothered bout that) Been ripped off by agency becos casual is rate + 20%. I am sorry for biting but when you arte looking for a decent job with decent money and you see numbers bounded about makes you think. Been for a job today permanent not alot but keep the old tummy lubricated

say hi to Niel $ me

Malx

aka Billy NM

Hiya

Bex

Hi and thanks

:notworthy:Funny you should mention that cause thats what i do for a living a carer in an aged care facility. Actually I dont think its as bad as it is portrayed (in Oz I mean) nursing homes dont have a good name and of course you can find fault with anything if you look hard enough but my experience is that 99% of carers actually do care and love their work. Usually the few that are just using it as a means to another end give the industry a bad name. I am beginining to think the 1 year stint is definately the way to go.

Archived